Merlin vs Harpy Confusion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
newknifeguy

Merlin vs Harpy Confusion

Post by newknifeguy »

Hey,

I am was looking at buying a harpy or a merlin because I like the hooked blade. There seems to be some inconsistancy between (internet) dealers with respect to the details of each knife. First, are the blades the same? They seem very similar but the Harpy looks to be a bit pointier. Second, does the harpy come with a black handle (G-10, i believe)? If so does this model lack the vents found on the stainless steel handled version? I would also appreciate any input as to which knife is better overall. I would be using it for some day to day activities but primarly for self defence.

Finally, I realize this may be inappropriate but does anyone know of another company who makes a knife similar to the Civilian. I really like its design and size but it is simply to expensive for me.

thanks
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Newknifeguy. Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Merlin blade is thinner (2.5mm) than Harpy (3mm).

G10 (discontinued) Harpy has no vents.

Self defense has it's own set of opinions, which I will defer to the others. (however, a dull well used knife has little self defense value, IMO).

sal
john row

Post by john row »

newknifeguy,
Welcome!!
I believe there are other companies that have "hawkbill" bladed knives - similar, they are "hooked" blades. The Civilian blade pattern is unique and is patented by Spyderco. The hawkbill knives of other makers are basically a comma shape. The Civilian is "sinusoidal" in shape and has a pronounced belly, sort of a backward "S".
Sorry, if I'm not being too clear in my description.

John Row

DANG!!! Oh well, still have nine more fingers!! LOL