need help please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuiceD

need help please

Post by JuiceD »

I am debating buying the police model and i would love to hear feedback from you about what you think of this knife ?? and also whether to buy it with a metal handle ??
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JuiceD. Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

I'll let the others give you opinions...I'm probably biased.

sal
JuiceD

Post by JuiceD »

sal , your opinion would be great . This is a first time on the forum and would like to see the opinions of all . thanks bro
ronybear

Post by ronybear »

JuiceD, Welcome to the Forum! The first thing you need to decide is what is the purpose of the knife? I think most guys would agree, if the knife is for everyday carry, the G10 scales are more appropriate than the stainless. Also, Spyderco carries so many different GREAT models, you may need to consider several different models before you purchase. I buy them all, but that's just me. Will the knife be used for hard work, self-defense, light work, skinning, fishing, hunting, etc., etc. If I had to pick just one knife, it would probably be the Native for a smaller carry and Military if you want a big boy! BUT, and this is a big BUT, I love ALL of the SPYDIES!!! So any one of them that you pick, you will only want more!!!

"LOVE DEM SPYDIES!"
AKTI Member #A001251
JuiceD

Post by JuiceD »

thatnks ronybear for your response . I already own the military and the merlin . I am looking to extend the range further , and the police caught my eye . Now I just have to decide whether to buy it with serrations or not , & with a metal handle or not . the knife would be used for self-defence . thanks

" Guns for show , spyderco's for pro "
JuiceD

Post by JuiceD »

please may I have more feedback . As this decision is makin me go crazy as I want to own the knife as soon as I can , but I just dont know which features would be more useful to me ?? please help me desperatly .
tique

Post by tique »

The police IMHO is a good self defense knife, I actually don't see many other uses for it. If I was going to buy it, I would prefer the G-10, but that is just a personal preference. The G-10 handle will give better grip, but the SS handle may be more rigid, that is a trade off you have to decide upon, I favor the G-10.
As for serrated vs unserrated, well, I really don't have much experience slashing at a live target, so I can't say which would cut better, I would imagine that the serrated model would be your best bet, and not a problem if you are not going to use it for anything but self defense, but if it were to be your only carry knife full serrations can limit it's usefulness in many applications.
EDAN

Post by EDAN »

I oun both the G10 & SS Police models with both style blades. I have the serrated blade in the SS handle, my favorite, and a plain edge in the G10. The G10 is easier to open and much lighter to carry. The Police is a large knife and the G10 is easier to carry. IMO, I would go with a G10 serrated blade.
JuiceD

Post by JuiceD »

Thank you all vey much for your help , i really appreciate it . > JuiceD
WTFOver

Post by WTFOver »

I have bought several C07S's over the years and love the Stainless Steel version. I've been carrying one daily for years. It is slim and with a Blak-Ti coating very low visibility. The Stainless Steel version has a very solid feel that the G10 version just can't match. I’ve heard many complaints that the Stainless Steel version is slippery I have not found this to be a problem. (Maybe it is due to the fact that all of mine have been Blak-Ti coated.) I have found it very easy to deploy from an IWB carry and very durable. The handle is perfect for my hand and has played a big part in my decision to make this model my daily carry. I carry other knives from time to time but always in addition to my C07S and not instead of it. I can’t recommend this model highly enough; I find it a great self-defense knife as well as utility use.

-In Beer there is Strength...
-In Wine there is Wisdom...
-In Water there is BACTERIA...
Old German Proverb
toothed

Post by toothed »

Hi JuiceD, I can understand your dilema. I have faced this decision before and don't see a solution unless I buy them all. LOL. As others have posted here, the model you choose depends on the task at hand--the problem is your task at hand changes so often.

I own two police knives: a serrated w/ss handle and a plain edge with G-10 handle. My observation is that the ss handled version has a thicker blade and is hollow ground (the G-10 version has a flat ground blade). It is also the heavier of the two. A benefit of the ss handle is that the rear end might be more effective as a pommel (for non-lethal defense maneuvers) than the G-10 version. With the ss handle, IWB carry is alot more comfortable than with the G-10 since it's smoother with less wear and tear against your body--or pocket if you decide to carry it in a pocket instead. Drawbacks are that some users feel it is slippery--especially when wet--unlike the improved traction with the G-10. Because it is heavier than the G-10 version you may also find that your manipulations are not as fast as with the lighter G-10.

On the other hand--hey, that's not a bad idea: buy the G-10 for your left hand and the SS for your right hand--(just kidding) the G-10 version feels well balanced and very secure in my hand. If you decide on the G-10 version be aware of the variations in the clips: mine has a clip which seem slightly more contoured and shorter(?) than others which seemed straighter and longer(?)--the former (newer clip?) feels alot more comfortable when you are using the knife.

Knowing what I know now, I would buy the plain-edged stainless steel handled version if I only could have one police model. It seems you've already done research and want one of the police versions so I won't suggest alternative models. I hope my two cents is helpful to you--only you know your primary carry mode/use of the knife.
JuiceD

Post by JuiceD »

thank you so much toothed . you have helped me so much in makin my decision . In the back of my mind I always did want the ss handle , I just needed a little push . Thank you again , Im goin to purchase the knife as soon as I can . And thatnk you all who responded with info and helped me out