Endura 4 FFG FRN problem?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Geno

Endura 4 FFG FRN problem?

Post by Geno »

I have a brand new Spyderco Endura 4 FFG with FRN handle. I think I've found a problem, I have never sharpened the blade and it is still razor sharp. All I have cut with it is paper to test the sharpness. There is a very small but noticeable gouge in the edge of the blade, and it seems to perfectly match up with a small cut in the FRN spacer where the blade would rest whilst it is closed. I have an album on Imgur that you can find here: http://imgur.com/a/Gybd4

If anybody has an Endura 4 FFG FRN of their own I would love to hear if they are running into the same problem, it seems a little ridiculous but this is the only explanation I can find for the gouge in the blade.
Jazz

Re: Endura 4 FFG FRN problem?

Post by Jazz »

The blade doesn't rest on the spacer (at least, it shouldn't). It rests on the kicker (the bottom back part of the blade that is squarish and sticks out. Looks from the picture like a wire edge (burr). Either run it on a steel to straighten it out or lightly sharpen it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

As jazz said that should be easy to take care of with a few stokes on a sharpener, doesn't look bad at all. As for the frn issue, that's your call on whether it's worth dealing with a return etc. but I don't think frn could ever "chip" or do whatever that is to VG-10 steel, so Its most likely not the cause of the blade issue and once sharpened you should be in the clear!

On another note, I bought one of my ffg enduras used, when it got to me it had a much worse roll or burr on it than yours and it was easily fixed on my sharpmaker.
Geno

Post by Geno »

Okay, I might try to sharpen it on my sharpmaker, I just got into knives and haven't taken any of my expensive knives to my sharpmaker. I'm pretty nervous about trying to sharpen it, idk if I should use the 40 degree or 30 degree on my endura, I just pretty much dont want to **** it up lol.

Edit: if the problem happens again I'll be back to the forums for an update.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Most spydercos are sharpened with 30 degree or less angles, that is what I use to sharpen mine, especially if it's just a touch up like yours. And if I were you I'd find an old cheap knife you've had forever and sharpen that first so you can get the hang of the sharpmaker before taking your new knife to it. Make sure to keep the knife blade vertical (don't tilt the blade side to side) the whole time, the sharpmaker videos by sal are on YouTube if you need them.
Geno

Post by Geno »

I've sharpened a couple of my cheapo knives on it, I'm just not very confident with my sharpening skills at the moment. I'm pretty certain I would actually dull it rather than make it any sharper.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

I've had this exact problem on a Caly 3.5 and G10 Police. The fact they're backlocks like your Endura has something to do with it I'm sure. Sharpening a little steel off the edge fixed them right up though. At the time I had the Police I only was sharpening with a Sharpmaker and it did the job just fine. Good luck!
Geno

Post by Geno »

I did a little at home test, I cut up a long but very slim piece of paper and put it underneath the blade and closed it, while the blade was fully closed I could put pressure on the back or pull it up a bit and let the back lock slam the knife down, not once did I feel any resistance to moving the paper or was there a mark or a scratch on it. I am surprised to say that the blade never touched the paper, let alone would it ever go near the spacer then.

tldr; The blade officially never touches the spacer(where the **** did that gouge come from o.O).
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Well that is good to hear! That's how it should be lol, i couldn't tell you where it may have happened but glad to hear it isn't caused internally.
Geno

Post by Geno »

Now if there is anybody who wants to see my self dubbed "ingenious" test, I explain it and have an Imgur link to it here: http://imgur.com/a/wOmIJ" target="_blank