Military in s35vn??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
falz24

Military in s35vn??

Post by falz24 »

What do you think are the chances and likelihood of this being produced?? I want one!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think if S35VN ever lives up to the hype it could possibly replace S30V as the standard Golden steel, but as of yet i don't think it's live up to the hype. That could just be that the hype is quite large though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

eh, for me its too similar to S30V to be an interesting sprint, as far as performance they're both too close too tell apart really, besides perhaps a very slight difference in ease of sharpening going to S35VN. I have the S35VN PM2 and it seems just like S30V to me.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

michaelm466 wrote:eh, for me its too similar to S30V to be an interesting sprint, as far as performance they're both too close too tell apart really, besides perhaps a very slight difference in ease of sharpening going to S35VN. I have the S35VN PM2 and it seems just like S30V to me.
Exactly, so more than likely if the change ever comes to be permanent it'll be more about cost than performance, or suffice to say if they deem S35VN to be as good as S30V and the price is right then it'll happen.
~David
avocadobbq

Post by avocadobbq »

Wasn't S35V just supposed to be an easier to manufacture version of S30V? I remember reading performance tests that it's actually slightly worse than S30V in some regards.

I can understand people being steel knuts to a degree, but wanting something just because the number's higher I don't agree with.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Evil D wrote:I think if S35VN ever lives up to the hype it could possibly replace S30V as the standard Golden steel, but as of yet i don't think it's live up to the hype. That could just be that the hype is quite large though.
Was S35VN really hyped that much? I just took it as a slightly refined S30V.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

If they are going to make a change from S30V I would rather see CPM 154.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Ankerson wrote:If they are going to make a change from S30V I would rather see CPM 154.
+1
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Ankerson wrote:If they are going to make a change from S30V I would rather see CPM 154.
+2
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Popsickle wrote:+1
xceptnl wrote:+2
Elmax?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

154CM is a step backwards if you ask me.
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:154CM is a step backwards if you ask me.
I think they are talking about CPM154...
JD Spydo

It's time they move on from S30V IMO

Post by JD Spydo »

I would personally like to see them make the standard issue C-36 Military model in either CPM D2, CPM-M4 or one of the Carpenter steels like XHP which is the Mili I currently own at this time and love it dearly.

I think that the Military has had it's run with S30V and it's time to move on even if they only rachet it up to S35V. The Mili has been made with S30V for over 9 years now and it's really time for a change I believe. And I know I'm not the only one that thinks so. And I do believe it would catapult the sales of that model very nicely if given the chance.

I would even love it if they would run the Military in either Udderholm or one of Timken's steels just for a change.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Donut

Post by Donut »

JD, I'm with you 100% that a production model with XHP would be great. Maybe as a beater, most people won't see the difference.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Elmax or M390 depending on price.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:154CM is a step backwards if you ask me.
I was talking about CPM 154, not 154CM, they aren't the same steel....

They could run CPM 154 at 61-62 HRC and it would be a really nice user. :)
phaust

Post by phaust »

Only if it could be done without increasing the price would I be for a steel change (and not to S35vn even if it is cheaper). As the price increases, the ability to replace it if something happens decreases, and I feel part of the Military's status as 'the only knife you need' would be undermined to some degree if the price of a replacement would make you too fearful of having it lost, stolen, accidentally broken, whatever.

Plus the Military has had and probably will have plenty of sprints in steels with better retention available to those who are looking for that at a higher price.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

+3
On the hunt for...
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:I would personally like to see them make the standard issue C-36 Military model in either CPM D2, CPM-M4 or one of the Carpenter steels like XHP which is the Mili I currently own at this time and love it dearly.

I think that the Military has had it's run with S30V and it's time to move on even if they only rachet it up to S35V. The Mili has been made with S30V for over 9 years now and it's really time for a change I believe. And I know I'm not the only one that thinks so. And I do believe it would catapult the sales of that model very nicely if given the chance.

I would even love it if they would run the Military in either Udderholm or one of Timken's steels just for a change.

S35VN isn't an improvement over S30V, performance is about the same for most general use, but if the knife will be a real user that sees a lot of cutting S30V still has the edge in edge retention.

My recommendation of CPM 154 would be an improvement over S30V because it can be run at a higher hardness than 60 HRC so one would see an improvement in edge retention.

CPM 154 is an interesting steel in that it was developed for the Custom makers to be easier to work with than S30V, but what happened was it was really an improvement over S30V and turned out to be a better steel than they thought it would be.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah I realized I got them mixed up after I posted. Ive never used CPM154.
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:Yeah I realized I got them mixed up after I posted. Ive never used CPM154.
Most people haven't as except for a few limited production runs it's been limited to the Custom makers.