Military model???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BladeRadious

Military model???

Post by BladeRadious »

Is this a strong knive and how would it campare to Benchmade? I also saw two steels to pick from 440V and ATS-34. which is stronger?
John Puckett

Post by John Puckett »

I had one a long time ago and I liked alright. It was a pretty strong knife I think. But I don't think that it is good as a Benchmade. The Benchmade 710 Axis lock is very comparable in size and blade steel, and the lock on the 710 is much stronger.
tique

Post by tique »

Funny you should mention that John. I am in the exact opposite case. I used to carry a BM 710, but when I got my Military, instant switch. Guess I'm hooked on the hole and tip down carry. The only BM that would compare would be the 800, and it is just a bit similar, Spydie hole/tip down. It has a smaller profile, but also is a quite different beast when you get down to the specifics. I like both, and when I get mine back from BM, I will probably carry both when I can.
Barry H

Post by Barry H »

You ask if the Military is a strong knife. Are you asking if the blade is strong or if the lock-up is strong? Unfortunatly, my Military is at the Spyderco service center for a faulty lock problem--I should be getting it back any day now. From my limited understanding, liner locks have some inherent problems that can happen, even with very reputable companies like Spyderco and Benchmade. Joe Talmadge over at BladeForums has written several post regarding this. I would encourage you to check those out.
As for the comparable blade steels, ATS-34 or CM154 can't hold a candle to CPM 440V (imho). Check out Spyderco's steel chart, down load it and then learn what vanadium does for the performance of blade steel. I am a woodworker and I put my knives to work every day on rope, cardboard, plywood and many hardwoods and other building materials and in my experience, CPM440V stays sharper a whole lot longer than any of the ATS-34 knives that I have owned. I did buy a REKAT D2 Enhanced Carnivore the other day. That steel looks very promising, too.
In conclusion, the Military is a hard working knife. And if the repairs done fix the lock problem, I will continue to use it.
If not, well, there's the AFCK ( which is really a Military in Benchmade clothes), the D2 Carnivore, the Benchmade 940, the Microtech LCC and Socoms...and the list goes on and on and on......
Too many knives and too little time!
Barry Haugen
tique

Post by tique »

To be fair to Benchmade, the AFCK is available in M2 tool steel which appears superior to ATS-34. IMHO, I like it better, and that is the steel in the AFCK I carry. I am not sure how it compares to 440V though, haven't played with my Military enough yet.
cerulean

Post by cerulean »

When you ask what steel is stronger, you really have to define what you mean by "stronger".

Two different basic qualities of a steel are toughness and wear resistance. Sometimes, these qualities will contradict each other; a steel that is wear resistant might not be very tough and vice versa.

ATS-34 will be very slightly tougher than 440-V, but much less wear resistant. Plus, keep in mind that BM blades are extremely hard, which may promote brittleness.

Tool steels and simple high carbon steels are much tougher than any stainless steel; it's a totally different material. Of course, the trade-off there is that tool steels corrode. If you want an M2 blade from Benchmade, you've got to buy one with black goo on it.