Kindness of Your Hearts...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Kristi,
Thank you for the follow up info. I had forgotten about that guy. If memory serves he wanted something from Spyderco, free knife, discount or something in line with Spyderco's efforts to support our troops. I am glad to know that you followed up enough to either confirm your first inclination that his story wasn't true or if it was true to get him whatever he had coming from Spyderco as your way of saying thanks for service to the country. I remember feeling sorry for him because his efforts were being ignored, or so it seemed. I never had a feeling thay Spyderco would deliberately renig on a policy and believed the situation was fishy. As usual, the folks at Spyderco seem to have dealt with this situation through to it's truth. I like that. Thanks again and I agree you did the right thing in posting the end of the story. I would like to repeat that I had forgotten about the guy and most of the people here have also. We have more pleasant things to busy ourselves with. This is another situation that indicates Spyderco has good people which translates into a good company. Oh yeah, they make pretty good knives too. :)

Jack
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Yes, Jack and once again I am on the receiving end of the generosity of a group of forum members. What a great bunch of guys! They were going to surprise me with a knife that I was really drooling over the past month or so. I found out inadvertently when I asked about that knife(Super Blue Caly) from an online store whose owner(Jim) they got in on the secret giveaway. I can tell you I haven't shed a tear in years but I was so deeply moved by the concern and generosity of these bunch that I kinda slobbered on my keyboard.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

There doesn't seem to be an end of good coming from the people here. I haven't spent much time on any forum other than this one. Many people have mentioned the high quality of the folks here and I believe it. Sometimes I feel a little out of place because I'm not that nice. Just grateful to all who have helped me with different knife subjects. I've also seen many others get help also no matter how little experience they have. This eagerness to help others in many ways is rare.

Jack
-F1

Post by -F1 »

jackknifeh wrote:Sometimes I feel a little out of place because I'm not that nice.
Heh, well it's not just you.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

jackknifeh wrote:There doesn't seem to be an end of good coming from the people here. I haven't spent much time on any forum other than this one. Many people have mentioned the high quality of the folks here and I believe it. Sometimes I feel a little out of place because I'm not that nice. Just grateful to all who have helped me with different knife subjects. I've also seen many others get help also no matter how little experience they have. This eagerness to help others in many ways is rare.

Jack
Nice is relative, its not a static measurement. I think we all give what we are capable of on this forum, be that highly detailed OCD information, grunts of approval or sprinkles of levity. As long as we effectively communicate in our own way, within obvious guidelines, we make this forum a success, and success is nice.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

Evil D wrote: How did i miss this? Who was it?
I'm not so much curious who it was. As others have mentioned it is best not to beat a dead horse, but I am curious which thread this was or what the context of the story was.

I haven't been posting much since my semester started, but I have read and commented on a few very sad stories over the course of the time I have been a member here.

The internet is full of crazy people looking for attention. Makes it hard to believe a word anyone says. I recently saw a documentary called "Catfish" about a sad and lonely woman who makes numerous Facebook profiles and creates a network of non existent friends and family so she can essentially live someone else's life.

Without knowing the context of the story I will just say that it is likely that whoever this was doesn't lead a very happy existence. I don't say that to belittle them for their actions, I just think anyone who makes up tall tales online for attention and sympathy has some real issues they are dealing with.
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'm pretty sure the poster in question deleted his threads once his story began falling apart.
:bug-red-white
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

WalzAaronFFG wrote:I'm not so much curious who it was. As others have mentioned it is best not to beat a dead horse, but I am curious which thread this was or what the context of the story was.

I haven't been posting much since my semester started, but I have read and commented on a few very sad stories over the course of the time I have been a member here.

The internet is full of crazy people looking for attention. Makes it hard to believe a word anyone says. I recently saw a documentary called "Catfish" about a sad and lonely woman who makes numerous Facebook profiles and creates a network of non existent friends and family so she can essentially live someone else's life.

Without knowing the context of the story I will just say that it is likely that whoever this was doesn't lead a very happy existence. I don't say that to belittle them for their actions, I just think anyone who makes up tall tales online for attention and sympathy has some real issues they are dealing with.
The jist of his claim was that due to his military service he was due a discount or whatever Spyderco's policy is for military members who served in the "war on terrorism" going on now. I don't know the exact details on Spyderco's policy. Anyway he couldn't prove to Kristi that he was due this generous thanks from Spyderco. He complained about this on the forum which I thought was kind of childish but I assumed his claims were true being as gullable as I am. According to the OP he wasn't in the military like I was. I served for 13 years in the AF and my biggest hardship was missing a coffee break one day. :) He supposedly was in one of the elite groups and did the things most only see in movies (or something like that). Anyway I got the feeling after a while his main goal was to get recognition for something he never did. That's about it from what I remember. I think that is the thread Kristi was referring to just to clearify it for you. I'll not mention it again.

I'd also like to compliment Kristi and Spyderco in their efforts to assure only the deserving people get whatever the gift is. To give away something as a company in an instance like this is something most companies don't due. Also, if they handed out the gift to anyone who says they deserve it would negate the signifigance of their generosity.

Jack
jhyde7585

Post by jhyde7585 »

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just wanted to chime in a bit, I'm sure my opinions aren't any different than anyone elses, but I wanted to share my view on the topic. I don't know the exact context of the thread in question, but have gained enough knowledge to feel like I can comfortably offer my opinions on the subject.

I am extremely disappointed in the fact that someone would take advantage of the huge generosity exhibited by the forum members here, (something that still amazes me) as well as the ability to create a false identity of themselves, especially lying about military service in order to gain or further themselves. I am not in any way part of the armed forces, but close friends are, and the passion they have for their obligation to our country is one that I have never seen in anyone about anything. I have a great respect for their service, and again, am extremely saddened by the con that was played out by the former member.

Just my opinions, sorry if its a ramble :D
RLR

Post by RLR »

Kristi, nothing but love your way. Karma is real, for those, like you, that are good, and those, like the perpetrator, that are bad.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Thank you for the update!

Surely wont deter me from enjoying my stay here.

We have a great bunch of people who will go out of their way for a fellow forum member. Gotta love it

Chris
Come Join Us Click Here
BAL

Post by BAL »

jhyde7585 wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just wanted to chime in a bit, I'm sure my opinions aren't any different than anyone elses, but I wanted to share my view on the topic. I don't know the exact context of the thread in question, but have gained enough knowledge to feel like I can comfortably offer my opinions on the subject.

I am extremely disappointed in the fact that someone would take advantage of the huge generosity exhibited by the forum members here, (something that still amazes me) as well as the ability to create a false identity of themselves, especially lying about military service in order to gain or further themselves. I am not in any way part of the armed forces, but close friends are, and the passion they have for their obligation to our country is one that I have never seen in anyone about anything. I have a great respect for their service, and again, am extremely saddened by the con that was played out by the former member.

Just my opinions, sorry if its a ramble :D
Hey jhyde7585, welcome. Anxious to see more posts from you in the future. I lurked around here for a long time trying to soak up as much info as I could on the various spyderco knives, until I finally posted. The more you do the easier it gets. It's like family round here.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

any ideas what user was a con artist?
kawr

Post by kawr »

What a great community... I'm glad I came across this thread, thanks.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

DCDesigns wrote:any ideas what user was a con artist?
I think it's probably best not to bring up & discuss who it is. Doing so would only give the individual more attention and more air time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

DCDesigns wrote:any ideas what user was a con artist?
Jay_Ev wrote:I think it's probably best not to bring up & discuss who it is. Doing so would only give the individual more attention and more air time.
I agree. I remember the issue but not the poster. Since then I think I saw his user id but I only remembered it because of the thread being discussed. I don't think he is still around (under the same user ID anyway). The only thing to be remembered from this incident is the professional way Kristi and Spyderco dealt with it. The instigator should be intentionally forgotten.

Jack
PS: What are we talking about? I can't remember. :)
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

There's always a bad apple somewhere. If you are giving for the right reasons though you really can't go wrong. It's a shame that some people would abuse that. It's happened to me too, but, it didn't change me and I seriously doubt it will change the fine group of people here. Thanks for posting Kristi. I hope you and Sal have a great holiday!
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
christopher

Not a Kind Word to be Had

Post by christopher »

It is really a shame for someone to claim to be someone he isn't, especially when he claims to be a service man or woman. There is no excuse for that. At all. Thank you Kristi for keeping all of us informed.

A Merry Christmas to every one on this forum.
Chris
Agent Starling

surprising...

Post by Agent Starling »

It is a shame to hear, but I wouldn't let that change my belief in the basic goodness of humanity. Although I was not personally involved in helping this individual, whoever he/she might be, I would still be of the philosophy that it is my job to do the good act, and know that the outcome is not up to me.

Agent Starling

P.S. Hi all. Long time no writey. Thinking of you all nevertheless. Sometimes life just has a way of taking over, and... :D
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Agent Starling wrote:It is a shame to hear, but I wouldn't let that change my belief in the basic goodness of humanity. Although I was not personally involved in helping this individual, whoever he/she might be, I would still be of the philosophy that it is my job to do the good act, and know that the outcome is not up to me.
Agent Starling

P.S. Hi all. Long time no writey. Thinking of you all nevertheless. Sometimes life just has a way of taking over, and... :D
I think you have the right outlook. I have the same thoughts but don't always act them out.

Welcome back, look forward to hearing more from you.

Jack