Kindness of Your Hearts...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

TazKristi wrote:...However part of my "job" here is to look out for each of you and insure that this place stays the unique, family friendly place it has always been. I truly hate the thought that someone took advantage of our members...

Kristi
Take heart Kristi, you are doing a fine job.

Some of our best lessons are learned the hard way. :D
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

See that really is crudy for new members like myself, not too say I would expect anyone to suddenly become judgmental or cautious of new people to this forum (been reading here for about a month) but it is too bad...

Really speaks to the caliber of the people here to be so welcoming and trusting of a new member, someone they may not know in person... It really is amazing and an attribute found in far too few places in this world.

Prost to you all!
Jurisprudence

Post by Jurisprudence »

The kindness on here is a tribute to the Spyderco culture. Building and maintaining a great corporate culture is difficult, yet Sal and Spyderco pull it off.

Listening closely to customers, taking the high road on controversial matters, standing behind their products, to great customer services; all that and more contributes to what we all enjoy here.

Thanks Spyderco.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

This is by far the most civil forum I frequent. I'm sure this situation, while unfortunate, won't dishearten the truly generous and thoughtful members here.

It's good to see that Spyderco looks out for, and cares for its customers to the extent of posting this. Thank you.
:bug-red-white
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Thanks Kristi. Good to know youre looking out for us!!
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Blerv wrote:I remember the conversation with my parents growing up regarding giving money to the downtrodden sign holder on the freeway onramp.. Some are genuinely in need and have suffered horrible loss, others are simply con artists. If you give out of genuine intent it doesn't matter as much the truth because the giver still wins in a big way.

Thanks for all that you do. :)
Blerv - this is a great thought. I think the large majority of us want to look for the good in people and hope that this trust is reciprocal.

Thank you Kristi - thank you Sal, Gail, Eric, and all the Spyderco family. You make this a fantastic place.

TedP
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Thanks for the heads up, Kristi.

It's a shame that a con artist took advantage of a very kind member of this forum. It is very hard nowadays to detect a sham, especially online. All I can say is that Karma is not to be messed with. The kindness of one of our own will pay off in some way. :)
cckw

Post by cckw »

I am very pleased that Kristi dug up the truth and shared. As I get older I am more cautious on charity or other giving. I tend to do some footwork first (well, finger tip anyway) to help my giving be more effective and targeted. In recent years I have had a smaller pot to give from so that is even more important.

If this loser does not feel guilty for that scam then he it a total waste of high fructose corn syrup.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Even though there is evil out there, giving gifts is for us, not the recipient...
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Terrible to hear this :( Thanks Kristi
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

More often than not the people who really need a hand aren't the ones asking for something. People who are up to no good are usually going to give themselves away with claims that don't make sense, or sometimes just a strange vibe.

In any event I don't think guys like that one will affect the good nature of people who are gifted with it. I'm sure most of them are aware of these kind of events but still refuse to become cynical or suspicious by nature. That's a strength, not a weakness in my eyes.

Thanks Kristi. I'm sorry you had to deal with this situation.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I am new here, sort of. So I have no inkling of what actually happened but am thankful to Admins for watching over us in a good way.

Saw a friend of mine whom I met on an online game get harassed and stalked once by a fellow gamer who was very clever at what he did. It was in a war game and in-game stalking within predefined boundaries was not frowned upon but this matter sort of had a bad effect on me that I got rid of all my electronic footprints. Becoming a member here because I have a yearning for leaf shaped blades which I can explain is sort of a come back for me.

What had transpired by what I understood from reading this post, is something I detest. In my own real life, there is so much of it happening around me that it becomes stressful and eats me up at times. Yet, I have given my own personal things away knowing full well that I am being conned in to giving them up. This I do knowingly and without a second thought only just cos I feel good in doing so and that feeling outshines anything else.

English for me is not my first language and hope this all makes sense. It is a pleasure to be part of a community that helps others and has good people watching over us.

To share something that is ones own with another means so much at times. But it is also true that there are sociopaths out there who will exploit our goodness against us. From my own background, I have always felt that such persons are never truly safe at getting away with it and that bad things happen to them in time.

Lastly, it is heart warming to know that there are others who will help someone in need. I am truly happy to be here.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

This incident may help strengthen the resolve of the dedicated fans and draw us closer together, turning a tragedy into a blessing.
That said, my goldfish is trapped under a treasure chest and i could really use a cf military s90v to pry him free. Anybody? Hello? This thing on?... Take my knife, please...
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I agree it's best not to name names as it won't change a thing and a Turd is a Turd! I sure hope this person didn't claim to be a Leatherneck or I'll have to hunt them down and use my John Wayne on 'em!

Most of this community is 1st class and a big thanks to our hosts.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

It`s real sad that there are these kinds of problems in the world,it sure can ruin it for a lot good folks and there a lot of good people out there,and I`m glad we have a wonderful administrator looking out for us,thank you Kristi.
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Wow, I was gone for about a week and was too busy to get on the forums. Looks like I missed a bad person doing bad things! At least Kristi was here to fill us in on the outcome and that the person is a phony and a fake!

I really don't think it will change anything or anyone on this forum though. IMO there are too many good people here, which is evident whenever anyone has a question or a request. Members will almost immediately reply with an answer, opinon, or a picture, pretty awesome bunch of Forum Members here...Rock On! :)
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Thank you for posting this, Kristi. It is truly amazing to what lengths some people will go.
MightySpydie

Post by MightySpydie »

Cheddarnut wrote:This incident may help strengthen the resolve of the dedicated fans and draw us closer together, turning a tragedy into a blessing.
That said, my goldfish is trapped under a treasure chest and i could really use a cf military s90v to pry him free. Anybody? Hello? This thing on?... Take my knife, please...
Haha, leave it to Cheddarnut to bring some humor to the situation.

In all seriousness it is very sad that someone's good will was taken advantage of. It speaks highly of the members of this forum that there were so many out there willing to step up and help out a stranger. Thanks to Kristi for bringing this to our attention.
v8r

Post by v8r »

No good deeds go unnoticed and no bad deeds go unpunished. Everyone has to answer for what they have done with their life, its only a matter of time. Thank you for whoever it was that was generous enough to send the person in question a knife. That shows true character. :)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I have given away knives in the past now in light of recent events perhaps a more rigid vetting process is in order before giving away my next knife.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>