Kindness of Your Hearts...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

Kindness of Your Hearts...

Post by TazKristi »

This forum has some of the most kindhearted people that I have ever "met". So many of you are always willing to help someone in need. It is for that reason that I felt I had to post this.

Recently there was someone who posted about challenges they were facing. They also told of a proud and honorable past and many of you offered your support and respect. Someone was so kind that they gave this individual a very expensive knife to help them.

The reason for my post now is that I am holding absolute proof in my hand that the OP's story was untrue (he has also been removed from our forum).

Even now as I type this I am hesitant to click "submit" because I don't want to see the kind hearts here on this forum stop believing. It is those kind hearts that make this place special.

However part of my "job" here is to look out for each of you and insure that this place stays the unique, family friendly place it has always been. I truly hate the thought that someone took advantage of our members.

So, with all of that in mind, this is a friendly reminder that there are some people who once sheltered behind a screen and keyboard will say whatever they feel they need to just to get something (adoration, respect, honor or material items) for nothing.

Be safe.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

A huge thumbs up for you looking out for all of us. :spyder:

Just goes to show the high integrity of this forum and Spyderco. :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write this Kristi. I don't think our collective heart will harden over a few bad apples out there but the warning should be duly noted.

I remember the conversation with my parents growing up regarding giving money to the downtrodden sign holder on the freeway onramp.. Some are genuinely in need and have suffered horrible loss, others are simply con artists. If you give out of genuine intent it doesn't matter as much the truth because the giver still wins in a big way.

Thanks for all that you do. :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

That sucks that it had to happen like that. I hope no one was too hurt.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
BAL

Post by BAL »

Thanks for the information Kristi. We can't let the actions of one bad apple change the way that we think, the way that we feel, the way that we care for others and try to help someone that happens to be less fortunate or going through a bad time. For every con artist, there are hundreds that really need help. The world is full of all kinds of people, both good and bad. Treat others as you wish to be treated.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

How did i miss this? Who was it?

Honestly, i have lost knives before but i would probably never post about it, because i don't know how i'd react if someone was kind enough to me to give me one of theirs to replace mine. A person who would take advantage of someone's kindness like this is worse than a thief in my book.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Thanks, Kristi.

I really despise con artists, from Madoff and Keating to small-change grifters like the one this thread concerns.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
-F1

Post by -F1 »

TazKristi wrote:[T]here are some people who once sheltered behind a screen and keyboard will say whatever they feel they need to just to get something (adoration, respect, honor or material items) for nothing.
If you think about it, that's no different than real life. The internet just makes it easier.

Generous people won't stop being generous that easily.

I am glad you made this information known. I respect that. I would not have respected withholding that information. Kudos to you.
BladePlay

Post by BladePlay »

[align=]Back at 'cha Kristi :o

Image[/align]
Last edited by BladePlay on Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[align=]“There never was a good knife made of bad steel”[/align]

Post by 1623 »

Respect to the kind individual who so generously donated the knife. You don't find much of that anymore, due largely in part to the outcome of this incident.

And Kristi, you're a great den Mother :)
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
HunterRyngo

Post by HunterRyngo »

Sadly you can't avoid that kind of situations in life. Lesson learned again, but good people remain good people.

I'm just a reader here at the forum a long time, but I feel that this community is a rare one on the internet for everything you mentioned above. There are a lot of quality people around here who worth listening to. Always helpful with a huge knowledge on subjects.

I love being here, I consider myself the silent member of this family, because I have a nice :spyder: collection but my english isn't the best, and my knowledge nowhere near as large as it should be to form a solid opinion on most subjects.

The most brilliant thing on this site is Mr. Glesser is around as one of us. The man who made all of this happens, the man behind the company, the products, the philosophy that all of us love.
Thank you Sal, thank you guys!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Thank you Kristi. That a fraud and con chose to excersize here is truly sad :(

Having been conned more the once off line I am also familiar with the issue Kristy raised about being cautious (and alert) without losing your sincere generosity. It's a struggle I've dealt with off of the forum in the past and over time have reconciled.

If you feel some red flags about a story in your head without knowing why, listen to them and investigate.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Wow! just wow...

I too, have been gifted generously by Doc Snubnose with a beautiful knife at a time when I was really down. Some of my knives, I have been able to obtain with the help of kind hearted forum members. To take advantage of this generosity of heart is really reprehensible.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

1623 wrote:Respect to the kind individual who so generously donated the knife. You don't find much of that anymore, due largely in part to the outcome of this incident.

And Kristi, you're a great den Mother :)
+1 on all of that.

As for the person who took advantage of that individual's generosity, if it's the person I think it was, what makes it extra sad is that his claims of military service were most likely false.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Wow! just wow...

I too, have been gifted generously by Doc Snubnose with a beautiful knife at a time when I was really down. Some of my knives, I have been able to obtain with the help of kind hearted forum members. To take advantage of this generosity of heart is really reprehensible.
I've recently been gifted by doc too, amazing guy!
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

Blerv wrote: If you give out of genuine intent it doesn't matter as much the truth because the giver still wins in a big way.
That quote says it all. Thanks Blerv

Thanks Kristi for the info and watching out for us :spyder:
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

jwrickma24 wrote:I've recently been gifted by doc too, amazing guy!
hehe and me. :D . really is kind hearted...and a comedian :p
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Evil D wrote:How did i miss this? Who was it?
I think it's probably best not to bring up & discuss who it is. Doing so would only give the individual more attention and more air time.

Thanks for the information Kristi.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
jasong911

Post by jasong911 »

This forum is actually one of the most civil, polite and just plain friendly places on the web, because of the quality of the people who work at Spyderco and the people who frequently post here. I firmly believe one unscrupulous person will not change that. +1 for courage and honesty and self-policing.

--Jason
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Still a great place to be and it's not gonna change. Treat others like you want to be treated, regardless. :)
Thanks, Kristi.

- best wishes, Jazz.