SpyderEdge vs PlainEdge?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AL3

SpyderEdge vs PlainEdge?

Post by AL3 »

Which Edge do you guys prefer? I'm a Rookie; I just bought my first Spyderco. I own the Delica (PlainEdge). I'm about to order the CoPilot, but I'm not sure which Edge to get. Help me out!
ChuteTheMall

Post by ChuteTheMall »

Depends on what you want to use it for. For slicing tomatoes, get the straight edge. For cutting seat belts or rope, strings and opening boxes, get the Spyderedge. If you enjoy sharpening a precision edge, go straight. If you are likely to delay needed sharpening, the serrations will still rip thru most materials. Or do what I did, get the 50/50 or 60/40 blends. Only an inch of serrations are usually needed, let the rest be straight.
ChuteTheMall

Post by ChuteTheMall »

Depends on what you want to use it for. For slicing tomatoes, get the straight edge. For cutting seat belts or rope, strings and opening boxes, get the Spyderedge. If you enjoy sharpening a precision edge, go straight. If you are likely to delay needed sharpening, the serrations will still rip thru most materials. Or do what I did, get the 50/50 or 60/40 blends. Only an inch of serrations are usually needed, let the rest be straight.
Paul Work

Post by Paul Work »

Personally, I prefer plain edge. But if serrated suits your purposes better, go for it.

Paul
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

There's a Plain vs. Serrated FAQ at:

http://www.bladeforums.com/features/faqs.shtml

It will lay out the advantages and disadvantages of plan versus serrated edge, gathered through testing.

Note that it also outlines a method to make a plain edge slice better, to give serrated-like performance. That way you can sharpen your plain edge depending on whether you want more slicing or shaving performance.

Joe
Jazzman

Post by Jazzman »

The spyderedge is definitely not for precise cuts but for the copilot, I would get the spyderedge. I have both configurations and for that size of knife, the spyderedge is just more powerful. But once again, it all depends on your needs.