Howard Viele

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brady Edwards

Howard Viele

Post by Brady Edwards »

I recently purchased the re-released Viele SP 42 P Plain Edge (VG 10 blade). Absolutely and outstanding knife. However, I haven’t seen anything about it in this forum. Anybody else have any thoughts on this re-release?
dac

Post by dac »

I'm glad you like the new Viele. It is a great revision. I had posted on bladeforums several times that the steel should be upgraded and I'm happy that Sal listened to people like myself. Now that the Viele has Vg-10 steel and the eccentric pivot, it is my favorite everyday carry Spyderco since it is so dressy. I think that the Viele, Herbst, and the soon to come Chinese Folder and Vesuvius are prime examples of "full sized gentlemen's knives." To that is a knife a bit over 3" but less than 3.5" which has the attractive fit and finish that allows it to go well with slacks and a tie.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Brady & Dac. Welcome to the Spyderco forum. Thanx for the kind words.

The latest Viele is most certainly a beautiful piece. enjoy.

sal
jyork

Post by jyork »

This has got to be the smoothest and easiest knife to handle. Sal, you guys did wonders with this new Viele. I love mine!

Jey
Gary W Graley

Post by Gary W Graley »

This along with the Bob Lum Chinese folder, is another one I need to get, had the previous release and look forward to this one.

G2
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gary. Welcome to the Spyderco forum. Another new place to visit?

sal
chinook

Post by chinook »

The Viele was my favorite before it was improved. Now it is in my pocket every trip to town. The Calypso ltwt and Military are the workhorses around the house.

I have three Vieles so far. (Would love to add #4 with ivory micarta scales)
chinook

Post by chinook »

Sorry for the redundant mssgs, danm puters...
I received only the following error mssg each time I tried to post.

"Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'Forum_ID ='.

/post_info.asp, line 270 "

Edited by - Chinook on 12/14/00 5:57:50 PM
chinook

Post by chinook »

Edited by - Chinook on 12/14/00 5:54:59 PM
chinook

Post by chinook »

Edited by - Chinook on 12/14/00 5:54:28 PM
chinook

Post by chinook »

Edited by - Chinook on 12/14/00 5:52:19 PM
chinook

Post by chinook »

Edited by - Chinook on 12/14/00 5:51:43 PM
chinook

Post by chinook »

Edited by - Chinook on 12/14/00 5:50:44 PM
chinook

Post by chinook »

Edited by - Chinook on 12/14/00 5:50:03 PM
jyork

Post by jyork »

This might be a good place to pose this question. I was wondering if Spyderco or another customizer makes new clips or micarta covered clip to match the handle. I think this would just add so much to this knife. I know it is considered a "gentlemans" knife, with the light weight and great looks its a great knife to carry while at work or out at a function. But the silver clip stands out against your clothes when out. I think a matching clip or dark clip would be a benefit on this knife. Just my 2 cents worth. What does anyone else think?

Jey
br44

Post by br44 »

I put a black clip off a Zowada on my Viele and a piece of ivory on the front. What A beauty!
toothed

Post by toothed »

I just picked up the re-released Viele yesterday. The plain-edged VG 10 is just awesome. To Spyderco: Please make more knives with VG 10.

I cannot believe the fit and finish on this production knife as well as how the knife melds into the palm of my hand. Although they add a little more weight to the knife, the double liners are IMO an important feature. My experience is that knives with only single liners often have a sharp inside bottom edge on the opposite (non-lined) scale which digs into the fingers when gripped hard. By only looking at pictures of the Viele, I wasn't aware that the right side scale is flat and the left side scale is convex (?). The effect is a very comfortable and secure feeling grip. Although not as flat and thin as other folders, the Viele carries fairly well.

Another feature I like about the design is how the finger grooves are positioned to allow a longer reach with the blade when needed. Alternatively, the handle also allows choking up towards the blade for detailed cutting chores.

I don't have the first version Viele so I can't make any comments on changes other than I know the differences in the performance between ATS 34 or 55 vs VG 10 and I like the VG 10.

Like jyork I too prefer a less conspicuous clip. Treb, thanks for the tip--I also have a Zowada so I'll try the swap since I plan to carry the Viele more often.

My favorite carry has been the JD Smith; however, as of today it's the Viele.

Edit: treb, I noticed that the screws for the clip go through to the steel liner and that the thickness of the Zowada clip seem smaller than the Viele's. I haven't done the transfer yet but I guess I should make sure the screws don't go in too far because of the thinner clip and contact the blade as it cycles open and close.

Edited by - toothed on 1/12/2001 3:33:38 PM