What exactly is a Tom Krein re-grind?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

My logic is that if, as TazKristi said earlier, disassembly voids the warranty then anyone who plans to shave off half the blade steel (even by a very skilled craftsman) should assume that the warranty was voided right there and then. But Spyderco has the best Customer Service I know of and I doubt they would leave a customer high & dry if a part broke. :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

My last regrind was about $12 shipping it to Tom, $35 for the regrind on a VG-10 blade steel Goddard Sprint which is less than 4" long, and $10 for return shipping. Longer knives cost more and more wear resistant steels like ZDP 189, CPM S90V, CPM S60V (CPM 440V same stuff) all seem to be about $10 more. Swedges and thumb ramps are extra also.

Tom has addressed the question before stating that his regrinds do void the warranty of the knife. I would personally not send a reground or any modified knife in for warranty service.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I agree that, once I've had custom work of any kind done on a knife, I assume the warranty is out the window. At the same time, my experience with knives has been about the same as with electronics. Defects are either obvious as soon as you take them out of the box for the first time, show up in the first week or two, or never happen.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I just got 2 knives that have been Krein reground in to sharpen today. :)

He really does do excellent work, holding one of them in my hand looking at it. :D

I think one could slice atoms with them. :D
Flinx

Post by Flinx »

Yes, Tom does indeed do very good work! He will put basically any grind that you want on a knife.

He will thin it out to atom-slicing performance or just change a hollow grind to a flat grind if thats what you want.

I had him put a swedge and flat-ground my original Salt 1.

But, I had him put a super-thin edge on my Emerson La Griffe.

Here's Tom working his magic.

And Tom being goofy.

As far as warranty goes, the knife he modded for me was one that I had owned for a few years. I chose that particular one so if something went wrong, I had allready had mucho use out of that knife. At least that was my thought process going into it.

Needless to say, I am extremly happy with the end result. This knife now cuts like a lightsaber!

John
v8r

Post by v8r »

Hey Tom....where are your safety glasses my brother? I got some extra pair if you need them. :D Got to protect them peepers.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Flinx

Post by Flinx »

Oh yeah, he uses safety glasses! He just posed for a couple of quick pics! :rolleyes:
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Looks like you may be out of luck in the short term, as Tom is suspending his regrind business. Posted today over on USN:

I've been doing a LOT of regrinds trying to get caught up on them. I'm CLOSE. I've decided that I will not be doing any more regrinds for a while. I'm short on time and I have decided to put the time I was spending on regrinds into my new line of developing folders. I hate this as much as those of you that love the regrinds. Hopefully it won't be permanent!

Can't say I blame him. While people obviously love his work, he has slightly loftier ambitions. I wish him good luck in his endeavors. He has some pretty sweet looking knives in the pipeline. Maybe he can get licensed to use the Spydie-hole?

http://usualsuspect.net/forums/showthread.php?t=510777
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Icegod

Re: What exactly is a Tom Krein re-grind?

Post by Icegod »

Just ordered a para 3 Krein to grind from DLT looks like they have more in stock if anyone is interested.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

As an alternative, Big Chris does them as he has time and he does excellent work.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:54 am
As an alternative, Big Chris does them as he has time and he does excellent work.
How do I find this guy for a regrind? My Google-fu is failing me this morning.

Disregard, I found him.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Holy necro-thread, Batman! It seems like only a year or two ago that Tom Krein stopped doing regrinds. Seeing that it was 8 years ago is a shock.