Using the 701MF

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Why Not A Base Unit for the 701 Profiles?

Post by JD Spydo »

There is one other item I would like to add to the mix if we could. I've said for years that if Spyderco would come out with a base of some sort that you could fit the 701 Profile stones for ridgid/exact angles it would make the tool much more popular. You could have a base that would have slots for 30 & 40 degree just like you do on the 204 Sharpmaker.

With the 2 different radii and the multiple types of surfaces you have on the 701 stones the versatility is wide open and the sky is the limit if you had some type of base unit to go with it.

Spyderco has so many great sharpening tools and that alone separates them far from most other commercial knife producers. I truly do wish that they would consider something like a base for the 701 stones because there are many people out there that own them already. If you offered a new 701 Profile kit by having the stones available in diamond, ultra-fine, fine & medium along with a solid polymer base unit for it like they do with the 204 Sharpmaker I do think that they would become very popular with those additions.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
sir_mike

Re: Using the 701MF

Post by sir_mike »

Does anyone have the instructions for this 701MF in PDF format?

Thx.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sir_mike wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:46 pm

Thx.
No and I never got any instructions even with the 3 brand new sets of 701 Profiles I've bought over the years. Not sure there even are any out there >> at least none that I'm aware of.

I just pretty much learned to use the 701 PRofiles by trial and error and a lot of experimenting. Now when it comes to Spyderedges that is pretty easy to figure out. I'm still baffled as to why Spyderco ever discontinued them to begin with. Because there are more people out there that liked them than they thought there were.

I just hope if they ever do return we'll get them in more grit selections.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:18 pm
sir_mike wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:46 pm

Thx.
No and I never got any instructions even with the 3 brand new sets of 701 Profiles I've bought over the years. Not sure there even are any out there >> at least none that I'm aware of.

I just pretty much learned to use the 701 PRofiles by trial and error and a lot of experimenting. Now when it comes to Spyderedges that is pretty easy to figure out. I'm still baffled as to why Spyderco ever discontinued them to begin with. Because there are more people out there that liked them than they thought there were.

I just hope if they ever do return we'll get them in more grit selections.
Yeah I did a couple of different search tries but no luck finding them anywhere! There were some posted on here that some guys put links to but of course that was quite a while ago so the links no longer work. I believe the instructions were just something basic like stand upright, then hold blade at desired angle and alternate strokes but it would be nice to get a copy! I would probably try that and also put them flat and use them like a small bench stone! Now since I posted on here last week or so, I happen to do a search on the 701MF's and actually found one listing on the "bay which was amazing to see. They were new in package too!

I wouldn't hold my breath on a return, let alone see them in different grits!!! :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well Sal said a while back that he was intending to do a Sprint Run of the 701 Profiles but the manufacturer lost something and it would be a while until we see them. I do believe he will do it at some point because he was getting a lot of requests for them. But whether or not we get them in more grits remains to be seen.

But depending on what these new sharpening systems like the GAUNTLET and GALLEY V 2 provide we may not even need them if what I hear about the GAUNTLET is true. I do hope that the GAUNTLET is released in the next 6 months or so.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

This came in the mail yesterday! It's true! A new/unused in package 701MF Profile set.
Attachments
701MF_Back2.jpg
701MF_Front.jpg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sir_mike wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:29 pm
This came in the mail yesterday! It's true! A new/unused in package 701MF Profile set.
Where might I ask did you get those new 701 Profiles? They look to be in great condition. Are there any more available? Was there a dealer that still had a few left on their shelves?
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:17 pm
sir_mike wrote:
Where might I ask did you get those new 701 Profiles? They look to be in great condition. Are there any more available? Was there a dealer that still had a few left on their shelves?
I was funny cause I was doing some searching for the 701MF instructions and somehow came across this for sale on Ebay. I was pretty shocked to see one listed, let alone new in package so even though I already have two sets of these I had to buy it! lol I never did find the instructions anywhere in pdf format though!

That was the only one l found but just search for them every now and then and you might find another one.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sir_mike wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:33 am
JD Spydo wrote:
sir_mike wrote:
I was funny cause I was doing some searching for the 701MF instructions and somehow came across this for sale on Ebay. I was pretty shocked to see one listed, let alone new in package so even though I already have two sets of these I had to buy it! lol I never did find the instructions anywhere in pdf format though!

That was the only one l found but just search for them every now and then and you might find another one.
Heck yes!! I would buy another set of 701 Profiles too if they became available. I've had two guys recently ask me where they could get a set of the 702 Profiles ( the shorter version of the 701). I haven't seen a set of them other than the two sets I own in about 10 years plus. I think they deleted them about 05 to maybe 07. It's been quite a while.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:27 am
sir_mike wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:33 am
JD Spydo wrote:
sir_mike wrote:

Heck yes!! I would buy another set of 701 Profiles too if they became available. I've had two guys recently ask me where they could get a set of the 702 Profiles ( the shorter version of the 701). I haven't seen a set of them other than the two sets I own in about 10 years plus. I think they deleted them about 05 to maybe 07. It's been quite a while.
There was just another set put on Ebay a few days ago or so that was sold last night or this morning for $55. They were the individual ones that has a sleeve each! Did you buy them? :)

I had one set of the 702's but ended up selling them along time ago. I think they were just too small for me to use freehand and of course I am not the freehand wizard by any means! I think I would be fine it they made some like at six inches long though!
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

If anyone is looking for a set of these give me a shout.

Thx.