Using the 701MF

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil Elvis

Using the 701MF

Post by Evil Elvis »

Greetings. The 701MF I ordered arrived yesterday afternoon. I spent most of the evening searching these forums and web site looking for instructions on the proper use of this tool. No luck. Did I miss them somewhere?

I have used the Triangle Sharpmaker in the past and know how good the products are. I was surprised to receive the 701MF without some form of instruction sheet. Even more surprised not to locate them online. I could probably use the 701MF the way I think it should be used but would rather get the most out of the tool.

Anyone have instructions? Just consider me a beginner when it comes to sharpening a knife.

evil elvis
WhiteWillie

Post by WhiteWillie »

I can't help you with your new purchase but welcome to the Spyderco forums from another new guy.
Mr. Bill

Old guys just know stuff!

:spyder: ATR PE
:spyder: Chinook III
:spyder: Lil' Temperance PE
:spyder: Manix PE
:spyder: Mini-Manix PE
:spyder: Native Black Blade SE
:spyder: Native III PE
:spyder: Para Military (S30V)
:spyder: Spyderfly
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

First of all, let me be the first to say welcome to the forum. I think you will have a great time here.

Secondly, here is a link to the instructions.

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... structions

In the first post there is a link to where you can download a pdf.

Enjoy your stay here!

Edit: Awww, WhiteWillie beat me to it. Let me be the second then.
- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Very welcome to the forums Evil Elvis and enjoy your stay :cool:

What Spydies do you have :confused: :D
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Welcome to the Forum. Have fun making things sharp :)
After enlightenment, the laundry.
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

Welcome to Spydieville! Enjoy your stay! :D
Back from an extended hiatus.
Native Justice

Post by Native Justice »

The easiest way to use these hones is to use them like a chefs steel. You'll be able to put a blistering edge on in no time flat with this method .

NJ
Be safe.

NJ

“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai
Evil Elvis

Thanks

Post by Evil Elvis »

I appreciate the replies. The time between posts is due to life itself. Sometimes it kicks in.

As to how many Spydies I own myself, the answer is none. I tend to own only what I can use at one time and I only have two hands. The 701MF was purchased for its ability to be used on many types of edges. I have had previous experience with the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker and knew it to be an excellent product.

I have been given the help I sought on this forum therefore I will endeavor to return the favor. Do not take a slow reply to a post as an affront. My plate, as usual, is way too full.

Thanks again for the help.
FLYcrash

Post by FLYcrash »

Welcome to the forums!

Here are some threads with some very interesting discussions and lore regarding the 701MF:

Sharpmaker improvement?

701 MF ProFile Set review

The first convinced me to get a 701MF, and I am glad I did. The second is full of tips on technique that now keep my own SE blade nice and sharp. Moral of the story: Listen to JD Spydo and Michael Cook!
jollyllp

Post by jollyllp »

Lucky Craft's 701MF shares similar loading characteristics during a cast to most all other fiberglass rods - the soft blanks make for rods that loads further down the blank as compared to a graphite rod, so casting accuracy can take a hit if you're not accustomed to the softer tapers.............
JD Spydo

701 Profile SET is one of Spyderco's most versatile tools IMO

Post by JD Spydo »

I also want to extend you a warm welcome here to Spyderville "Evil Elvis" :) The Spyderco 701 Profile set is one of my all time favorite manual sharpening tools. To me it's a genius design which shows how far ahead that Spyderco is compared to most other production knife companies. They are one of the very few companies that realize that any knife is only as good as it is sharp. A dull knife is truly close to being a completely useless tool but a sharp one can do all sorts of jobs.

The Spyderco 701 Profile set is also my very favorite tool for sharpening Spyderedges ( Spyderco's unique patented serrated edge).

It takes a little longer to sharpen each scallop and spike individually but the results are well worth it to me. I usually take a set of those with me every where I go and when I heard that they were discontinued I went out and bought 3 more sets just so I would have them many years from now. I truly wish Sal would do a comprehensive video on the 701 Profiles, Goldenstone, slipstone and any other manual sharpening tools in their line. I think it's well overdue.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

Evil Elvis didn't last very long. He had two posts in almost six years.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Fancier wrote:Evil Elvis didn't last very long. He had two posts in almost six years.
But..... he knows his sharpening equipment.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

6 year old thread that "jollyllp" brought back from the dead. No idea what he/she is talking about in their post either.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

I know this is an old thread but I wish they would bring back the 701MF set!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sir_mike wrote:I know this is an old thread but I wish they would bring back the 701MF set!
Yeah I agree with you 100% Sir Mike. I also wish that they had offered a 701 stone in diamond. That to me would have been an ideal tool for sharpening serrated edges. The 701 Profile set is just starting to be appreciated for what it is and what it offers as far as a field sharpener for both serrated and plain edges.

It would have also been nice had they offered up a 701 stone in Ultra-Fine as well. As with most of Spyderco's sharpening tools it was and is a great all around manual sharpening tool. I got a feeling that we will see that Spyderco sharpening tool again at some point. I'm still surprised that they discontinued it. I seriously doubt if the GOLDENSTONE will ever totally replace the 701 Profile set.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JD Spydo wrote:Yeah I agree with you 100% Sir Mike. I also wish that they had offered a 701 stone in diamond. That to me would have been an ideal tool for sharpening serrated edges. The 701 Profile set is just starting to be appreciated for what it is and what it offers as far as a field sharpener for both serrated and plain edges.

It would have also been nice had they offered up a 701 stone in Ultra-Fine as well. As with most of Spyderco's sharpening tools it was and is a great all around manual sharpening tool. I got a feeling that we will see that Spyderco sharpening tool again at some point. I'm still surprised that they discontinued it. I seriously doubt if the GOLDENSTONE will ever totally replace the 701 Profile set.
Amen JD, the 701 in either diamond or in ultra-fine would really complete the set. Could we get a sharpening sprint run Sal? I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

xceptnl wrote:Amen JD, the 701 in either diamond or in ultra-fine would really complete the set. Could we get a sharpening sprint run Sal? I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
JD Spydo and xceptnl, you guys nailed it! :D The 701MF with a diamond and ultra ones! That would be great! A sprint run of these would be awesome! Sal, can you hear us?? LOL
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Also, if anyone has the 701 profiles and are interested in the instructions click the link below. I've always provided them as a PDF to those that received the stones without instructions. I did ask Spyderco many years ago if it was OK to share before I started doing so. I guess back in the day some didn't have instructions.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9YVFAR ... sp=sharing

Enjoy. ;)

And yes, they are some of the best stones ever. I still have my set and use them regularly.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Sal,

Can we get these 701's reborn?

:D