Crazy deals @ Sierra and other places

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ABX2011

Re: Crazy deals @ Sierra and other places

Post by ABX2011 »

BigGrove wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:33 am
I have $22 in ebay bucks that expire tomorrow. I was hoping there would be another 15-20% deal by now.
There's an eBay Bucks deal ending at midnight tonight. 8% in Bucks when you use the App or 6% on website.

Sadly I fear the big site-wide discounts from eBay may be over. We just had a 10% off which was low by recent standards. I read the conference call transcript from eBay's Q3 report. When discussing marketing spend, they alluded to getting better returns from lower priced coupons.

In response to an analyst's question, the CFO said:

"Some lower-priced coupons for buyers have worked really well. Some higher-priced ones haven't worked as well, et cetera, but we continue to work on refining the ROIs, the appropriate level of spend, making sure we're focused on both activity per buyer as well as new buyer acquisition."
Rpp

Post by Rpp »

setldown wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:00 pm
Amazon has the Para 3 SE for 83.77 minus a coupon for 1.65 for a total of $82.12 before tax. Temp out of stock now but will deliver when back in stock.

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... 10+Serrate
I ordered this on Sept 24 and I received my shipping notice just now. Will arrive tomorrow.

Looks like the link goes to the full price knife. Deal is over.
shakiesam

Post by shakiesam »

Received mine today.
Rpp

Post by Rpp »

Received an empty box lol

It is the correct box and sealed lmao

Haha Amazon can eat it
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

OMG, that would pee me off something chronic.

The more I hear about Amazon, the less I like it.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wow.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

I'm pretty sure I've read that Spyderco applies the tape used to seal the boxes at the Golden factory before they ship to Amazon. I highly doubt the tape can be removed without destroying the bar code label, therefore the box would show tampering evidence if the knife was removed. It could have arrived at the Amazon warehouse in that condition, and the robots used to fill the order wouldn't have been able to tell the box was empty.
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

Rpp wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:47 pm
Received an empty box lol

It is the correct box and sealed lmao

Haha Amazon can eat it
Are you sure there is no knife? Maybe it's a new super lightweight model. :cool:
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Not a crazy deal, but the sliverax has been 146 on amazon the last few days. About as cheap as I have seen them.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m less and less enamored by Amazon. Ultimately they’ll put local businesses under, then hike their pricing and drop Prime 2-day shipping. They’ve killed the usefulness of the “add to wishlist” for items found at other websites, and now they charge tax. Just like Google, they were the underdog and now they’re turning eeevil. Don’t mind my foil hat.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:03 pm
I’m less and less enamored by Amazon. Ultimately they’ll put local businesses under, then hike their pricing and drop Prime 2-day shipping. They’ve killed the usefulness of the “add to wishlist” for items found at other websites, and now they charge tax. Just like Google, they were the underdog and now they’re turning eeevil. Don’t mind my foil hat.
From my understanding They always should have charged tax but governments are slow to catch up.

So they got a free ride for years.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Generally you only pay tax to a vendor if they have a presence in your state. Much easier for a gov to steal at point of sale and turn the vendors into enforcers. Amazon now has warehouses/staff in my state. Hence the taxation. Now some items from third parties do not incur taxes, since they have no presence here, and Amazon is merely facilitating the sale.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Our Govt (Australia) has just made them all (Amazon, eBay etc) collect GST/ VAT.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Ah, I can’t claim to know how it’s handled elsewhere besides the US. I’m still quite fuzzy on VAT. I know what it stands for, and it’s not. Except that the gov gets some “value” out of your transaction. Burns me how much they take.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:12 pm
Generally you only pay tax to a vendor if they have a presence in your state. Much easier for a gov to steal at point of sale and turn the vendors into enforcers. Amazon now has warehouses/staff in my state. Hence the taxation. Now some items from third parties do not incur taxes, since they have no presence here, and Amazon is merely facilitating the sale.
The law has since changed.
Spydergirl88
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

As far as I can find, the law has not changed. Internet sales tax will come up again, surely, and may pass to the detriment of many small businesses. Amazon however, changed. It now collects sales tax in every state on items they sell, but not those of third party sellers without a physical store.

So yeah I’m annoyed that Amazon is collecting tax from me which I am not required to pay. And I have to wonder, are they just pocketing it?
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citori

Post by citori »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:03 pm
I’m less and less enamored by Amazon.
Same here. Their customer support is a shadow of what it was as recently as 2 years ago. They've fallen off and some traditional retailers have stepped up their game, so the relative value gap has closed quite a lot for me.

I think their focus on becoming the next big content creation/delivery company has stretched them too thin. From what I saw during a 6 month stint in China, if Alibaba decides to risk going after Amazon in the US they could really put a dent in them.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:46 pm
As far as I can find, the law has not changed. Internet sales tax will come up again, surely, and may pass to the detriment of many small businesses. Amazon however, changed. It now collects sales tax in every state on items they sell, but not those of third party sellers without a physical store.

So yeah I’m annoyed that Amazon is collecting tax from me which I am not required to pay. And I have to wonder, and they just pocketing it?
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... x#p1277251
Spydergirl88
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

' if Alibaba decides to risk going after Amazon in the US they could really put a dent in them.'

Agree.

Already people in Australia but from Chiba on line, Amazon opened an office here and in most people's eyes, stuffed the on line launch, no momentum. People aren't talking about Amazon.

Alibaba - when you have 1.38 billion screaming chinese to service, it may take a while.
rivy

Post by rivy »

Well this has veered off-topic...