Crazy deals @ Sierra and other places

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rgrad80

Re: Crazy deals @ Sierra and other places

Post by rgrad80 »

KW Paramilitary 2 M4 CF on sale under $200....if anyone wanted one
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Since White Mountain Knives has been discussed, I'll relate an experience I had today (Sunday before Labor Day). I've been debating getting an Edge Pro Apex 4 for a couple of years and noticed they had it for $245, 10 bucks cheaper than the place I'd been looking at it. That plus 15% off seemed like a pretty reasonable deal, so around noon I went for it. For some reason I had some trouble getting the order to work, and when I finally got it to go through, of course, I forgot to apply the 15off code -- I hate when that happens :mad: so I wrote and told them about it, asking for them to give me credit for the 15%. Later, I thought of a better idea. I ordered it again, about 5:30 PM using the code (--> $208.25 :p ), and asked them to refund the first order (these had both quickly gone through paypal). A half hour later I got a refund notice from paypal and this email note from WMK:

Hi Doug,
Sorry for the delayed response. I was away at a cookout. I will refund the first order.

I thought that was pretty good customer svs for the Sunday before Labor Day :)
This was my first transaction with them, but I'll sure keep them in mind for future purchases.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

ABX2011 wrote: WMK has amongst the best customer service I've experienced in knife dealers.
DougC-3 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:19 am
Since White Mountain Knives has been discussed, I'll relate an experience I had today (Sunday before Labor Day). I've been debating getting an Edge Pro Apex 4 for a couple of years and noticed they had it for $245, 10 bucks cheaper than the place I'd been looking at it. That plus 15% off seemed like a pretty reasonable deal, so around noon I went for it. For some reason I had some trouble getting the order to work, and when I finally got it to go through, of course, I forgot to apply the 15off code -- I hate when that happens :mad: so I wrote and told them about it, asking for them to give me credit for the 15%. Later, I thought of a better idea. I ordered it again, about 5:30 PM using the code (--> $208.25 :p ), and asked them to refund the first order (these had both quickly gone through paypal). A half hour later I got a refund notice from paypal and this email note from WMK:

Hi Doug,
Sorry for the delayed response. I was away at a cookout. I will refund the first order.

I thought that was pretty good customer svs for the Sunday before Labor Day :)
This was my first transaction with them, but I'll sure keep them in mind for future purchases.
While it's great to hear that White Mountain Knives has such excellent customer service it has zero to do with the discussion. There are many blade retailers that provide excellent customer service. I really don't understand the desire to defend them.

Rather than selling the REX Para 3 and PM2 on their website for MAP, they chose to sell them on their ebay store for $50 over. I would never support a Spyderco dealer for doing this no matter how great their customer service is. Surely I can't be in the minority on this...
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

In the case of the Rex PM2 and Para 3, they are in such high demand that the MAP price is artificially low. A dealer sells them for MAP and the customer can immediately sell them for a profit. Considering how competitive the retail market is, I don't blame WMK. They offer free shipping and free returns. Great customer service. You don't have to shop with them...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

MAP doesn't apply to sprints, exclusives, or discontinued models.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

A dealer can always sell for over MAP so that doesn't matter in this case.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I thought the complaint was WMK was selling "above MAP" for the sprint Rex45 pm2/para 3. I was just clarifying that sprints don't fall under MAP but you are totally correct about advertising any knife above MAP
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
rivy

Post by rivy »

I’d rather pay WMK a bit more for a Rex sprint than a reseller. I hear the frustration tho... not ideal to see that from a dealer.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Where’s the deals at again?
Think for yourself
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I usually buy from whatever dependable dealer has the lowest price for what I want. If they sell some other item I don't want at a higher than usual price, I don't worry about it. Or if it's something I want, I just buy it elsewhere. Or if it's a B&M I may pay more because I know the people and they let me handle all their knives. Same if it's an online place which has done special things for me, etc. This isn't a religion for me. I think knife dealers are just like people who sell other things in that they have to do whatever it takes to try to stay in business and are free to charge whatever they choose, just like someone selling produce or whatever. We're always free go somewhere else. But maybe my set of ethics is not as highly structured and demanding as that of most knife nuts ;)

Edit: I didn't even think about the fact that some people may raise the price when they put something on ebay to try to recoup the 10% fee charged by ebay, which might (depending on the increase) just return their profit to the in-dealership level.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Well said DougC-3. I agree.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Just FYI, Campsaver.com extended the 20% everything sale, ends today.
Fng5

Post by Fng5 »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:56 am
Just FYI, Campsaver.com extended the 20% everything sale, ends today.
Twnty20 didn’t work and the extnd20 is only for outlet items. Is there a different code?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m waiting for a 20% off deal on the gen 4 dog tag or frn squarehead.
mehhhhhhhh

Post by mehhhhhhhh »

Finally looks like I’ll get a lw chaparral from the campsaver sale. Multiple issues with the order but it should finally be here tomorrow!
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I got a Titanium Military off WMK over the weekend for $178 (with the 15% off coupon). What a knife!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Firefly 119 on Amazon
fixall

Post by fixall »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:41 pm
Firefly 119 on Amazon
Now down to $116... That's crazy.
rivy

Post by rivy »

fixall wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:51 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:41 pm
Firefly 119 on Amazon
Now down to $116... That's crazy.
Wow that’s tempting... anyone have one? Like it?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

rivy wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:03 pm
Wow that’s tempting... anyone have one? Like it?
I don’t, but I think it was one of those knives that just didn’t make sense at the price point. Didn’t see much about it here when it launched.