Handle material: G-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like to see a Spyderco with polished G-10?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:27 am

Yes.
33%
No.
40%
I don't care.
27%

Total votes: 73

Th232

Post by Th232 »

jaislandboy wrote:Speaking of polished, isn't the G-10 on the Lil Temp considered "polished" G-10? :confused:
I'd say partially, since it's grippy G-10, with the exception of the part where the pads of your fingers sit, which is smooth. I like it that way, actually.

The lefties here will hate me for saying this, but I really wouldn't mind seeing another handle done like the Lil' Temp (oh, and in GREEN!).
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Slick

Post by Slick »

This is going to sound like Goldylocks and the Three Bears but my G-10 Calys are finished too coursely. I have a G-10 Civilian that is a bit less rough and feels about right. The carbon fiber ZDP Caly 3 has the perfect feel. Worst of all was the highly polished carbon fiber on a Delica.

I'd like to see smoother G-10 but not a high polish.

I wonder how micarta, G-10, and carbon fiber compare in cost to put on a knife.
Not really all that slick ;)
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Which G-10 Leek is the one that came with the polished G-10? I've wanted a Leek for awhile and have considered getting the stone-washed s30v Leek but that appears to have textured G-10. Is it the older satin finished aus8 (I think?) G-10 that has the polished (which I like a lot better)?

What I'm asking is it this model: http://www.wildeals.com/kershaw-k1660t1 ... -1361.html

edit: Nevermind, found which one it was, got what looks to be a good deal off ebay, the seller has an unusually good feedback rating for this sort of volume seller... so fingers crossed.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kershaw-Polished-G- ... dZViewItem
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
dialex

Post by dialex »

Textured for me, please. It's one of the reasons I like G-10 :o
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I don't care. I like G10 as is for users and for gents knives I prefer micarta, wood, bone, stag and other natural materials. Bolsters, please. What can be better than C83 Persian or Kopa?????????????????
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Makeshift

Post by Makeshift »

I enjoy both the grippy G-10 and the smooth versions as well.

Just an FYI; Kershaw made 3 other models with the smooth G-10.

Mini Task - small wharncliffe blade SE and PE
Random Task - Modified tanto (?) SE and PE
Ricochet - Largest of the 3 with a drop point blade SE and PE
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I've come to the recent realization that G10 can be just as classy as Micarta if it's smooth. It has similar grain and a simiar feel to it.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
DRod

Post by DRod »

Yes. Im always up for viaraity even though I usually only get to look a pictures. :(

For instance, the second picture of the polished Leek. I can see that type of shape with a round hole on it, a little more belly and a choil and in my mind it looks amazing. Then theres the Lum. Benchmade has fallen way out of favor in my book lately, but they are slowly winning me back with the Lum.

A polished bolstered caly 3 with black or dark carbon polished G-10 or polished any color micarta is one knife I would sacrifice my taco bell budget for.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

You have a taco budget? I think people seem to be seeing this as an either or question when it's more of a 1 or 2 options question.
dedguy.net
DRod

Post by DRod »

Heck yah, I have a taco bell budget. Im live the bachelor/slacker life to the fullest. The taco budget is my food budget really. Thats about all I eat, fast food. :( I don't cook or do dishes... so yeah.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I mostly eat Chipotle and Chick-Filet.
dedguy.net