Questionable tag lines & shiny footprints

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

As a new member to the forums I will be sure not to bash other knife companies. I have had other knives but I no longer buy anything but Spyderco simply because they are the best and not capable of comparing on the same scale.

Have you ever tried to compare a paper plane to a jet fighter? They both fly but it's not fare to bash the paper plane because it not as fast as the jet fighter. I like paper planes, they have their uses, I own a few and they get done what they are designed to do at the price I pay for them. When I want to win the race I will always go for the jet fighter.

Long live Spyderco
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

As a new member -and Benchmade collector-, I can only be encouraged by these words of wisdom. Ironically, I just bought my first Spyderco -a Mule MT03 that is now awaiting a set of CF scales- thanks to a discussion we were having on the BM forum about members' favorite Spyders.
The second irony is that the Mule is my first knife with a hole in the blade, and it is not even a folder, go figure...
knife_junky

Post by knife_junky »

Well I can say this much I am and will always be a knife collector and Benchmade was my first line that I started really collection. No I have fufilled my benchmade needs I looked to spyderco to continue collection. In the past month I have acquired the
Urban FG
Urban Org
Native
Delica FG
Rookie G10
Millie
Tenacious ....and the list will grow and grow. I still spend alot of time at the BM forum and I can honestly say that very rarely does spyderco come up and hardly ever in a negative manner. You see BM collectors appreciate fine knives and spyderco along with BM manufactures fine knifes. I was blown away when I saw how many BM collectors had dozens and dozens of spyderco's. These 2 companies couldnt be more similar and still further apart then they are. I think they both play a huge role in the industry and there is plenty of room for both brands in my safe and for those of you who bash the other Mfg's like BM give um a try sometime, you may be pleasantly surprised.. The fact is I never saw myself purchasing spyderco's and thank god I did cause now I cant get enough of them..
MCM

Post by MCM »

Deleted my huge post.......
It wasn't very shiny........
But felt good to write.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

MCM, I am afraid that what you leave unsaid in your post goes against the spirit of this thread...
MCM

Post by MCM »

:confused:
I started with the best intentions, then re-read it after posting and decided it was not "nice" enough for this thread. Lured myself into talking about one of the other Co's I collect.

So, I got rid of it.

How in the world can that be bad? :D

I am MCM on over a dozen knife Forums.
Have been posting 10 yrs on some of them.
Not sure how I injured the spirit of this thread?
I try not to say anything negative and generally just vote with my dollars.
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

I have the feeling that I think I know what Co. you are referring to (maybe because I collect it too and feel the same?)... But we should respect Sal's positive tone. :) :spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

I believe that MCM avoided any negative comments. That was the request.

sal
soldier1231

Post by soldier1231 »

I buy Spyderco products because they are consistently high quality and IMHO the best knives in mass production.

As someone that never designed or produced a knife (or anything else for that matter) I try not to pass judgement over those that do.
My Spyders:
Tenacious
Delica 4 SS
Endura 4 SS
Caly 3
FreeRider67

Post by FreeRider67 »

thanks Sal,

I'm a new forum member here, and started out in the Blade Forum with Mantis Knives. while everyone on here seems to be knife nuts, there does seem to be a few shots across the bow being taken by some forum members.

Syderco has some very kewl and funtional blades, and blade interests vary around the world. I don't think that any one company has "the best" product out there. the same reason for so many companies, is the same reason why we have freedom of choice. interests are limited by the boundaries of the mind.

constructive criticism is one thing. difference of opion is one thing. but I don't feel any forum gains something positive from spiteful commentaries about other companies.

I'd like to think this is a forum where people can have fun and gain some knowledge about blades. I've learned a lot since I've been on here. I already know "nasty"... I divorced one. :D I don't need to see her here also... ;)

George :cool:
jonUSA,EARTH

Post by jonUSA,EARTH »

Great respect to ya Sal!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ace

sal

Post by ace »

I didn't know you were the owner--I guess you may know a little about Spydercos then (: You have great products and agree about not ripping other companies. Mentioning them sometimes for comparison purposed should be encouraged, however. Benchmade, for example is a great company too and they have some products that are very good for comparison sake.--like talking about ther NAK LOK which is fairly innovative (though results in a little up and down blade movement which I hate, due to that fact they wrap the lock around the front side of a cutout notch.--How about a compression lock that:
1. has a push button of some sort
2. is located on the side opposite the current loation on the Para
3. has inner workings the same as current comression lock--rather than doing the notch method used in the NAK LOK

My Spydies so far: Paramilitary, CF Sage, Persistence, Tenacious

Thanks
dbcad

thanks

Post by dbcad »

Mr. Glesser,
Your sentiments are felt and respected. I was drawn to Spyderco because of the quality and innovation that are used in making your knives. The sheer diversity of function and incremental improvement in the various models is inspiring. My first Spyderco was the Lum chinese folder. Since then I was convinced Spyderco was a company of integrity and respect. It is such a beautiful work.
Since then I have acquired a stretch2,manix2,pacific salt,delica4,forester and dayhiker, a gayle bradley is backordered and is expected next week.

I will not put down other manufacturers or other members even if their views don't mesh with my own. Curiosity and positivity will be my rule on this site as it is offline. Thank you for some really wonderful and innovative products. Your company pushes the limits in a good way!!
john row

Post by john row »

One of the most lasting impressions made on me by Sal and ALL of the people at Spyderco and something I try to personally live every day

"Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching".

I've been Spyderco Forums "challenged" for a few years now, so I don't know if this is still a phrase that's familiar with association with the man and his company. It should be! I'm sure I don't even need to say it

John
Gee Mr Glesser, them sure are pretty knives!
MCM

Post by MCM »

Another feature that does not get discussed much is the "Ignore List"

IMO it helps keep things shiny. :D

Best thing since S90v
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

MCM wrote:Another feature that does not get discussed much is the "Ignore List"

IMO it helps keep things shiny. :D

Best thing since S90v
Just discovered that beauty a couple weeks ago.

Seriously, even the Stretch FRN pales in comparison. :)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Blerv..Take me off of your ignore list!!!!! :p ....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
hossc

Post by hossc »

Sal this is my first post and 20+years ago a endura was my 1st edc 50 spydies later you and your company shine
sal

Post by sal »

Thank you Hossc. We appreciate your interest and support.

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Sal,

Your statement is just one more reason to want to be "closely associated with Spyderco"!