Your opinions on Blood Groove functionality

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mancer

Your opinions on Blood Groove functionality

Post by Mancer »

Hi guys

I just wanna find out what you guys think the reason for Blood Grooves are.

Some say it makes the blade more stiff by adding a extra "spine", others say it removes suction or friction.

At first sight I thought it was meant for stabbing, I thought if you stab your attacker and the blades left in him/her, unlike a normal blade that will plug the wound, this would allow the blood to drain out from the body's pressure through the groove and out the lill holes on the side.

Ive asked JAK for his reason for having it on his Hornet but would like to see what you guys think the reason is, specially from guys like Bram.

Many thanx guys

MaNcEr

It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum

Edited by - MaNcEr on 5/14/2001 4:06:29 AM
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Here's my take on blood grooves, as well as a second-hand version of JAK's opinion which he shared with me during the process of designing our Masters of defense knives (forgive me, Jim, if I'm speaking out of turn.)

The original use of "blood grooves" (more properly called fullers) was on swords and very large blades. The idea was to remove metal to lighten the weight of the blade and create a stronger cross-sectional profile (much like an "I" beam). When the concept was applied to smaller knives, it was purely for aesthetic purposes. It doesn't help break suction in a stab wound and doesn't accelerate blood loss. It simply looks good.

As for the groove on the Hornet, well, it looks good. As for the holes in the groove, well, they look pretty good too. How about the number of holes in the groove? Just enough to (here we go again) LOOK good. No secret function. No mystical meaning. They just look cool.

I hope this helps shed some light on the subject. Knife choice is a very personal thing and design style will always be a large part of choosing a blade. We just need to be careful not to confuse style features with specialized (and sometimes fictionalized) functions.

Best regards,

mike j
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Lol, many thanx for the reply, well it does look good but is fairly dissapoiting that it hasnt got some nifty function behind it other than cosmetic value, never the less Im still searching for some1 in South Africa who distributes your products down here, if you have an agent/supplier sown here plz let me know, I cant afford to pay the kind of postage/import duties that are imposed.

Many thanx once again

MaNcEr

It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
crecy

Post by crecy »

MaNcEr,

I think the nifty part is the engineering aspect. The groove strengthens the blade and makes it more resistent to bending and possible breakage. You will also find grooves in wooden arrows from different periods of history. These likewise stiffend the shaft and resisted bending causing the arrow to remain straight. The same detail can be seen in high end rifle barrels increasing stiffness and therefor accuracy. Pretty cool stuff.

Greg R. Beeman Si Vis Pacern Parabellum Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Edited by - crecy on 5/14/2001 11:33:56 PM
whosyour

Post by whosyour »

MaNcer,
I like the "blood groove"it just gives a knife style
Mr.Janich,
Gotta tell you first off that I love your MOD design.I hope to see your Spyderco collaboration soon,any hints as to special quirks,that you may have been interested in seeing in a functional edged tool that we haven't seen as of yet.I recently ordered your knife fighting book,I look forward to inputting your skill into my system.It's more of a mix between the big three here at MBC,since those who supposedly teach MA around here are not hip on learning/teaching knife fighting,but want to teach you an empty hand disarm that will get you killed or severly injured unless you go through their regimen first of learning forms,I'm more into function .Spyderco hit the nail on the head with you,JAK,and Bram to advise us who are forever learning and evolving.It's great to have you here.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Whosyour:

Thank you for your kind words about me, my Tempest design, and the forum. It's certainly nice to be here and to be so well received.

I have spoken to Sal about the possibility of designing a Spyderco MBC knife, but since that's still in the developmental stages I don't want to speak out of turn. Let me just say that my experience with the Tempest taught me a lot about what I REALLY want in a personal defense knife. As with anything else, my goal is to always keep learning and make my next effort better. That will certainly be the case if I have an MBC design.

I'm very pleased and honored to be part of the MBC program. Like other developments in the program, once there is something substantial to report on the knife design front, I'm sure Sal will share it on the forum. Until then, please hang tight.

Thanks again for your interest and support.

Stay safe,

Mike

mike j