Calypso....A great knife design

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tightwad

Calypso....A great knife design

Post by Tightwad »

There has been some discussion of late about the usefulness of the Calypso design. As those who

have read my replies will know I reguard the Calypso line as really great knife. Also sal has mentioned

the Calypso is his personal design also hinting at it being one of his favorites. After owning two for

quite a while ( large & small) I find the design to extremely useful. What caught my interest was the

very....very ...subtle ergomoics at work with in the design. The blade in both sizes is a "sharp finger"

when held that way , a rugged cutter held in a firm grip, a slicer, a dagger, a sheepsfoot and many other

types of blade depending on the how it's held. It doesn't have alot of "belly" true, but, I find it does

do those types of cuts very well when held correctly. Overall this knife design is very quiet genius.

Just as any great knife design is. It has been suggested to sal to re-introduce the large Calypso in FRN

handle material to hold cost down. But alas there just doesn't sem to be enough folk's who really

understand this knife to make it market worthy . My question to this community is does the large

calypso rate a re-do into FRN or g-10? What say folk's?
ftkinney

Post by ftkinney »

i would say ss or titanium but that is my taste. i'll look at this knive as my next purchase from your recomedation tightwad.
Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

As much as I like this spyderco personally (and I have other spyderco's as well) it seems difficult
to get folk's by the appearance of the knife to how well it "work''s". It's true one knife won't do for everybody,but the calypso look's to be a sleeper that few find. Those few will be hardcore in their
enjoyment of the the calypso. Oh well.......I'll get down off my soapbox now.