MBC Ayoob...pistol of steel..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BRAM

MBC Ayoob...pistol of steel..

Post by BRAM »

Ok Mas has done it..Working with Poppa Spyder, hes come up with a very slim, neat package that allows for controlled slicing, point entry and very nasty reverse grip usage...

Trust Mas who loves firearms to come up with a pistol oriented knife...

Its light and fast and feels great in your hands..

I'd like too see a longer curved clip with an indexing point on the next variation..its too cool to flip it from forward to reverse and the indexing would be nifty!!!

But for now I'll enjoy it as it is...

Mas had alot in mind when he designed it..Lets see if we can get him over here to discuss it!!!!
anyman

Post by anyman »

Bram, is this a new one, or the one that is already released. Al
Guntaholic

Post by Guntaholic »

Real wicked looking knife too. I got mine with the spyderedge. Incredible slasher! I would like to see future models with a G-10 handle though, that almite gets kind of slippery for me...
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

Its the one thats out now..
I agree about the handle.. I think it might get slippery...
But ..lets hear from Mas..hes a non computer person but we'll try to get one of his students to get him on..
Leo Daher

Post by Leo Daher »

Mas is a great trainer and a **** of a nice guy. I was fortunate enough to be his student back in '91 (did LFI I, II and III back to back), and I sure learned a lot.
Wonder if engraving the handle could make it less slipery (I've yet to handle one of those, so I'm just assuming that's really a problem). Don't know if the finish would hold up though...

Leo
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

OK where are all you users of this knife..???we need input as to how you like it..
whats cool ..
whats almost cool..

thanks!!!!!
ljdmwells

Post by ljdmwells »

I've had my Ayoob for about two weeks now. Still ringing it out, but my initial reaction is that it feels so good in the hand. About the only negative thing I've read from others is that people say they don't like the slick handle. Granted it's smooth to the touch, but it doesn't bother me in the least. Also, it's not just a defensive folder, it works great as an everyday utility knife for me.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Bram,

The Ayoob is a good knife. I like the fact it sits very low in the pocket and looks very PC until it is opened. It is thin and the Almite handle gives it an elegant look. I have been really impressed with the serrated VG-10 blade. To me it is a more practical knife than a Civilian or Matriarch. It seem like it would almost as good a defense knife as those two and it functions well as a utility knife.

On the downside the handle is slippery and unlike a Gunting it was not designed specifically for indexing or non lethal techniques. (The Gunting has changed the standards by MBC knives are judged) Unlike the Chinook it does not look like a utility knife and is pretty non PC when opened.

I would get a 2nd generation Ayoob but I kinda wonder if it wouldn't fill the same niche as the proposed UUK. Personally I would rather keep the Ayoob as it is and have Spyderco make the UUK.

- Glenn

Edited by - spy de on 5/4/2001 7:13:37 PM
Guntaholic

Post by Guntaholic »

Bram, The knife is just plain scary looking! I love it... Ver nice light weight knife that I carry IWB when I am wearing dress pants. The spyderhole is a perfect size for my hands and allows fo a very sat opening. The handle twirls and spins quickly and easily from forward to reverse grip. But really feels wicked in reverse grip. Mine came with the spyderedge and was very sharp straight from the factory. It has made very short work of an old leather jacket and various other material I test with. My only complaint is the almite handles are way too slippery. Sometimes when I practice I rub a few globs of suntain lotion into my hands in hopes of simulating blood and sweat, the Ayoob is very hard to control than... Also not a big deal but it would be nice to see a MBC rated lock on this knife
Spy De, Try some of the non lethal techniques Bram mentions on his Gunting video's like pinching and finger locks with either end of the handle and even tomahawking, you might be surprised how well they work.
Overall it's a great knife designed by a great guy from a great company...Pretty hard to beat...
Scorpius711

Post by Scorpius711 »

Overall I love the ergonomics, great for slashing, or thrusting. Blade is designed for minimum resistance for maximum penatration. I also like the banana shape of the handle.

Handles are the only drawback I can find, would have prefered G-10 or titanium with a bead blast finish. Sometimes it is so slick I have trouble doing a fast draw from my pocket.
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

I love this knife...been carrying it for a couple months and it's a big knife that carries like a smaller knife. Silly admission here but, women's clothing have more shallow pockets. Carrying a big knife becomes a problem, everytime you sit down the knife pops outta your pocket (both front and back pockets). The curve of the Ayoob keeps it in my pocket.

I've had no problems with the handle being slippery...yet.

Joyce
bladebroker

Post by bladebroker »

Joyce,

Are you saying that a knife desighed for a lady need to have curves that complement the shape we so admire? What a wonderful idea.

I see much beauty in both, having one enhance the other is a win-win situation. I hope to see you (and your Ayoob) in Atlanta for the Blade Show.

Terry Prichard
http://stores.andale.com/bladebroker

Edited by - bladebroker on 5/10/2001 9:32:55 AM
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

well I admit I like playing with my Ayoob. I like spinning it from forward to reverse...and back again..
Its light n fast..
I might have put a different clip on it for it hits the inside of my hand, finger joint at a strange angle...
OK I know thats a tiny thing..

It cuts really well..
I'd love to hear Mas give a good description of using it..

Hey?? is Mas going to be @ the Blade Show????