C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Post by sal »

Hi Appler,

How many do you have? Are they all made by Klotzli? I don't know if you know it, but we made all of the blades for KLlotzli in Golden.

sal
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

I thought Appler was just collecting information from pics on eBay. Man, I would love to have all of those he listed!

If blades were all made in Golden, were the handles and assembly done in Europe or Golden?

Interesting stuff. Thanks!
Appler

Post by Appler »

Hey, Sal.

I, unfortunately, have only one. I managed a store for a now-shuttered mid-Atlantic mall cutlery chain and personally sold perhaps 12-15 of these when they were new, which was not a small feat given that they were almost $700 in todays dollars by the end of the run. But there was absolutely nothing like it at the time--without actually being in the knife business, there is just no way for the average person to understand how much of a leap this knife was for a "production" knife. There was nothing even close from any manufacturer. I was fascinated by it, but too broke to have one. I sold my father one, and one day years later it showed up in a package on my birthday. As the only knife Spyderco has produced that I am aware of where every one was serial numbered (maybe the original bone Horn?), the variations have obviously also fascinated me.

Thanks for always innovating.
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

#949, PS blade, matte scales, bug on clip, then U.S. patent info, then SWISSMADE. Blade has Spyderco, swissmade, then Walker
sal

Post by sal »

Maybe it's time for a carbon fiber sprint with a wire clip and an exotic steel?

sal
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

Man, Sal sure knows how to keep us biting!
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:56 pm

sal
yes please.
Blade and Flame

Post by Blade and Flame »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:56 pm

sal
Now we are talking!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Dream knife absolutely
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
timlara

Post by timlara »

If we can keep it under $200 street price, I would be very interested.
Tim
Appler

Post by Appler »

Carbon fiber sprint with a wire clip and....Super Blue?!?! Count me in, baby. ****, I'd take any steel, honestly. :-)

And it needs a brother with nice matte titanium scales that'll look so cool loved-up after 20 years of use. Like an old Sebenza.

Accutronman, thanks for the contribution!
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I would prefer a stainless steel. I am pretty much done buying any steel that rusts or Patinas on a folder.
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

@Appler, do you have a full list compiled somewhere? Maybe this is something to have put into the wiki now that spyderco took over.
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Full carbon fiber, not peel ply, rare steel, and make it a true collectible with the price reflecting the quality a la the original Jess Horn (C27) at $449.95.
Appler

Post by Appler »

Hey, infinkc.

I had intended to let this get to a few more pages and then start a spreadsheet with all the variations. That's a good idea to transfer it over to the Wiki sometime.

The highest number I have seen is #1765, so there are at least that many out there. What we have documented here is just a drop in the bucket; I wonder where they all have settled? There weren't particularly "collectable" at the time (no Spyderco really was), so I wonder how many became users and were lost or forgotten about...
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Accutronman wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:26 pm
Full carbon fiber, not peel ply, rare steel, and make it a true collectible with the price reflecting the quality a la the original Jess Horn (C27) at $449.95.
Why not offer it at the actual price where it will land?
Perhaps i misunderstood you, but pricing a knife reflecting the quality of another model entirely (which i have heard had a clip that was a nightmare to produce, and attributed to the high cost of the C27) seems irrational and a less than great idea IMO.
'
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Blade and Flame

Post by Blade and Flame »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:27 am
Accutronman wrote:
Perhaps i misunderstood you, but pricing a knife reflecting the quality of another model entirely (which i have heard had a clip that was a nightmare to produce, and attributed to the high cost of the C27) seems irrational and a less than great idea IMO.
'
I think that was the original sentiment. Make it a premium knife in honor of the original design/intent, and if it cost is high, so be it. At least that’s how I took it.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Blade and Flame wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:16 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Accutronman wrote:
'
I think that was the original sentiment. Make it a premium knife in honor of the original design/intent, and if it cost is high, so be it. At least that’s how I took it.
Agreed. Perhaps i misinterpreted Accutronman's post.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Blade and Flame wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
Accutronman wrote:
'
Exactly
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Accutronman wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:28 pm
Blade and Flame wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
Accutronman wrote:
'
Exactly
Pleasde ignore my post then :) Sorry for getting you all wrong