Friendly Challenge to fellow Spyderco Users: I say Endura and Delica 4 = Best and "Peak" Spyderco Model. What say you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Friendly Challenge to fellow Spyderco Users: I say Endura and Delica 4 = Best and "Peak" Spyderco Model. What say you?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Here is my friendly challenge to all of you, my fellow Spyderco users:

I am convinced that, while Spyderco makes a wide range of excellent knives, from the Man Bug and Lady Bug to the Pacific and Atlantic Salts, and everything in between, the Endura and Delica 4 are not only the most iconic representatives of the super-quality and magnificient-design of Spyderco as a company, but, when it comes to real-world usage, these knives are the most general-purpose Spyderco blades available, and, they even rival out the Military and Paramilitary designs. You can either say its the VG10 or all forms of Endura and Delica, but either way, who here can refute this or not?
The Deacon

Re: Friendly Challenge to fellow Spyderco Users: I say Endura and Delica 4 = Best and "Peak" Spyderco Model. What say y

Post by The Deacon »

The Delica and Endura are certainly very popular models, so if you believe that sales are an indicator of quality, then I guess those two would either be the "best" and the "peak" for Spyderco, or very close to it. Of course, if you believe that, like TV, popularity generally involves aiming relatively low, then perhaps not.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Re: Friendly Challenge to fellow Spyderco Users: I say Endura and Delica 4 = Best and "Peak" Spyderco Model. What say y

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah those two models are affordable and to some extent flaship models. But as far as quality goes I could personally name 20 models I like better than either one of them. For one thing I'm not the biggest fan of FRN handles. For another thing I like the C-36 Military model eons better than the Endura because of the G-10 handle and it being available in supersteel blades.

I can see why a lot of people would prefer those two models but again I could name many more high quality, super designed Spyders I like better than those two. But it's like Sal has said many times>> that is why they make so many different models because everyone has their own preferences.

Heck I like all the Calypso models far better than either one of those two. But I do see where you're coming from.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Deacon and JD: Both of your points are as they say, spot-on, and, well-taken, and I agree with you on that. My main focus was that the Endura and Delica are "flag ship models" as you said.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I'd say "Classic" and "Essential" instead.

I like all my Spydies for their respective strengths and quirks, "Best" is too subjective to award to just one design.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

I disagree.

The Delica's ergonomics flat out don't work for me due to the finger grooves and pocket clip placement. I've tried to like it, but every time I took it out for use it reminded me how uncomfortable it is. So far the only Spyderco that beats the Delica for worst-ergos-for-me is the Yojimbo 2, which takes the finger groove hotspots to the next level, on top of having no bevels or rounding on the scales.
benisben25

Post by benisben25 »

Just to play devils advocate, wouldn’t Salt 2 and Pacific Sslt then be the best knives? Same materials and form factor except completely rust proof, and when in spyderedge even better cutting performance.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Delica and Endura are the gateway Spyderco knives. By this I mean, they are highly evolved practical designs at a price point that beckons the new user. They work for most - not all! - people. They have been around long enough to develop a very good reputation.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I don't like the delica.
Bad to open, no choil, not a solid grip.
I prefer the Dfly and Para 3.

For a workhorse on a farm I would use the endura due to size and price. But for urban office use there are other knives.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Sorry the delica is my least favorite spydie of all of the ones I've tried.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

I can't help think the Endura is for Spyderco what the 110 is for buck. It's a classic design that wraps up all the company's values in one affordable package. But I can't help feel that the designs have improved overtime.

In my own case being new to Spyderco I went to buy an Endura as to me it seemed to the classic must have. But on a whim I tried the PM2 out. For me I liked the G10, I loved the lock and the ability to open and close one handed. The ergonomics and how easily it deployed fit me perfectly. It was more expensive but the price suddenly didn't matter to me I had to have it.

I went back a week later as the Endura it on my list of must haves and ended up getting a PM3 lol!

TL;DR
The Endura has been around for all the right reasons for over 20 years, but I wouldn't rule out the Para Military series being around for the next 20 years either as it has so many positives, and no negatives.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I don't know if I would call either the Endura or the Delica a flagship product. Stalwart, sure, but when I think of flagship I think of high quality and fancy. I definitely think both of those models are high quality, but a personal preference against FRN would certainly make that last statement a bit controversial. I wouldn't be surprised if these models make up a large percentage of yearly profits for Spyderco. That would make the Endura and the Delica vital to the company. I would put the PM2 into the flagship category. I see those knives the most on Reddit, and they get their fair share of exclusives and sprints.

Another category is halo product, or an aspirational product. The Paysan this year and the Nirvana last year were certainly halo products. What were Spyderco halo products before them? I don't think the Slyz Bowie really hits that category, but it was close.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SEF I can't say you're wrong for feeling this way but I do have to say it's ultimately very subjective. Value to one person is different from value to another because expectations are always different. Some people will never get over the "plastic handles" no matter what they're told, and the same goes for being made in Japan. Some people see value in different ways so G10/full liners may be higher value for their money even if it does come at a higher price.

For me personally ergonomics are just as important as the sum of it's parts and cost and the ergos of these knives just don't do it for me. That doesn't change the fact that it's an amazing knife for someone else, but that's part of the whole package for me so I'd MUCH rather pay more for a Military.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

As far as pure function for what a pocket knife should be used for, I'd agree. From that standpoint it's hard to argue that there is much functional benefit from a fancy handle material or even the compression lock/righty fidget device :p
"Seven for One"
vivi

Post by vivi »

Before I express my subjective views, I'd just like to say I think both models are incredibly well made and would certainly serve the needs of most anyone.

That being said, I'm going to have to disagree based on one reason: ergonomics.

The Delica 4 was my first knife from Spyderco and no matter how I tried to hold it, I found it extremely uncomfortable. It was also saber ground, lacking the cutting efficiency of the Swiss Army Knives I was carrying before finding Spyderco. I came close to writing off the brand when someone talked me into trying a Military. That's the model that sold me on Spyderco.

Now the Endura is more my size. The Pacific Salt is a favorite of mine, though I will say it is the smallest folder in my EDC rotation.

Unfortunately for me, my hand does not agree with the ergonomic changes from the Endura 3 platform (Which the Pac Salt uses) to the E4. On the E4 I get the impression the first finger groove is intended for two fingers. I can fit about 1&1/2 fingers in it, and then my thumb has no where comfortable to rest on the spine / thumb ramp area. If I grip with one finger in the first groove and my middle finger in the second finger groove right next to the Endura 4 logo molded into the handle....my hand is too far back from the cutting edge for my liking and the knife feels too tip heavy.

When I grip a Pacific Salt my index finger goes in the first groove, and my middle and ring finger in the second. It feels great.

Every other change to the handle I like on the Endura 4. The texturing is really nice, I like the traction grooves on the spine near the blade jimping, and the more rounded butt feels better in the palm of my hand.

I would agree that for my hand size, it's tough to beat the Endura 3 / Pacific Salt for a basic EDC utility knife. It's a very balanced design.
:unicorn
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

Peak implies that was their best work, after which they entered a period of decline. Which clearly isn't the case.
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

I think the Delica/Endura have a more timeless design and a broader appeal. With the back lock they appeal to a broad segment of the population then you factor in the fit/finish and price point and for most people that is as high end of a knife as they want to get.

For most basic knife users who are not going to log into a forum or collect knives the delict endure line really hits on everything you want in a knife. I know when I was first getting into spyderco knives its what drew me in.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I’d say you don’t know what you’re talking about. #chaparralforlife
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hate to say it but both the Taichung and Golden factories produce better quality knives than Seki and Moki these days. The “best” ones currently come from Taichung, and my guess is the combined sales of the PM2 and Para 3 (and possibly by themselves) make these the “peak” these days. Delicas may sell more on an absolute volume basis but I’d imagine that’s primarily due to its (typically) sub-$100 price tag.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:44 pm
Deacon and JD: Both of your points are as they say, spot-on, and, well-taken, and I agree with you on that. My main focus was that the Endura and Delica are "flag ship models" as you said.
And please don't get me wrong SEF because I would much rather carry and use an Endura or Delica than I would any of your Rip-Mart or discount store knives any day of the week. Because to me the Endura and Delica both are far above anything that Case, Ka-Bar, Schrade or even Buck currently have to offer for that matter.

I view the Delica and Endura both as affordable folders for a quality minded person that wants something better than what you can find at Rip-Mart or your local discount store and still have some money left over to eat on. They are basically both models that do provide better quality than most knives you can buy without completely draining your wallet.

Actually I'm glad they are available. I would probably have a different attitude if they would offer those models in wider range of better blade steels. But they are models that are at least available in Spyderedge whereas a lot of your premium models you can no longer get in Spyderedge unfortunately :(