Has your compression lock knife opened accidentally?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brock O Lee

Re: Has your compression lock knife opened accidentally?

Post by Brock O Lee »

I’ve never had one open on me, but when I carry in waistband I choose a backlock (or PITS) for extra safety. I’m not a gambler when it comes to a carrying a shaving sharp blade around the one o’clock position.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

No in-pocket issues here with any detent-dependent Spydie locks EXCEPT my Bradley Air. It opened in the bottom of my pocket and I now observe that well-known adage: twice bit, three times shy.

I do carry predominately clipped and tip-up in RFP so the blade-spine is snug against the seam. Even my GB1's too-weak-detent is no concern, unless dropped.

I have dropped my BBS M4 Manix2 (most-used and most-flicked) a few times, and at least one of my PM2s once or twice, fortunately all on wood or carpeted floors, and a few times they popped open. The angle of impact evidently released enough energy to overwhelm the detent. I'm less worried about blade-retention (except in the Bradley Air in my pocket AND the GB1 outside...) than dropping things.

I do agree that mid-locks pose the least concern.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

In the two years that I've carried a PM2 as a work knife, it has not happened one. Now the XM18 has opened on me.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Compression lock no, liner lock ( Benchmade Panther) yes leading to quite a bad cut when reaching in my pocket to get change or something at a gas station. I tried keeping it hidden as I was bleeding pretty bad and didn't want to freak out the other customers. Fortunately they had plenty of napkins handy.

After that all liner locks except the Millie get carried in a sheath type device. I feel pretty comfortable with my Millies. I haven't had one get that loose and if it did it would be apparent.

Joe
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I dropped my PM2 on the carpet and when it bounced, it was open and nearly stabbed me in the foot. My wife will not carry a detent dependent lock of any type because of her two near stabbings by knives that came open on her. Peace of mind is worth a great deal.

Case makes a little liner lock I just love called the Mid Folding Hunter. It has a traditional back spring in addition to the liner lock. It is not flickable in any sense. For a small pocket knife it works well and will not come open accidentally.

Perhaps detent dependent knives should come with some sort of a sheath as an option?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I've dropped knives quite a few times over the years, can't recall any baclocks and midlopcks that didn't stay closed, but most liner and frame locks opened partially, every time

also I've been cut three times with a "closed" knife clipped in my pocket, two were framelock flippers and one was a liner lock

just FWIW
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I carry my PM2s (all my folders for that matter) tip up in the right side pocket with blade against the seam, so the blade cannot possibly open or contact my hand while in my pocket. If I never varied from this I would have never known my PM2 could open so easily in my pocket.

One day, while jogging on a mountain trail in Utah I was taking pics of my (then 3 week old) M4 PM2 and my GB2. I put the GB2 in my right front pocket while I took a pic of my PM2, then as I headed down the trail to the next photo op I foolishly clipped the PM2 in my left front. At that moment I thought the only risk in doing this would be that I could cut my hand when I reached in to get it if I wasn't careful. Only 3 or 4 steps into jogging down the trail, the PM2 opened and stabbed my leg. Luckily it wasn't deep. It sure was startling though!

Despite my mistake I do not think the detent was too weak. I consider this operator error. Whether a knife is carried tip up, tip down, right side, or left, any folding knife clipped in a pocket needs the blade positioned against the seam of the pocket for safety.

Here's a pic from that nice day on the trail in the Wasatch Mountains.. :)
CK
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Michael scott,

What are your thoughts so far?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The only knife that I have had come open in my pocket was a Kershaw Leek.

I have accidentally, when working quickly, put a knife back in my pocket that wasn't closed all the way. This was always with a frame, liner of compression lock. For this reason it isn't so much the difference in detent strength between a backlock and the locks that use a ball detent that I value but more the bias towards closing. A backlock will always close all the way once you have it almost closed. I like that once it is almost closed that it pulls the blade securely closed.

Another thing I appreciate about backlocks is that they do not open when dropped. I have dropped a knife more that once and liner/frame/comp locks usually open on impact in my experience while backlocks do not. This cost me a small part of the tip of a Para2 as well as some edge damage on some other knifes. I have also noticed that frn handles drops onto hard surfaces better than G10 and certainly better that carbon fiber. An frn backlock will take a fall onto concrete or asphalt with almost no signs of damage or wear.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Xplorer wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:59 am
I carry my PM2s (all my folders for that matter) tip up in the right side pocket with blade against the seam, so the blade cannot possibly open or contact my hand while in my pocket. If I never varied from this I would have never known my PM2 could open so easily in my pocket.

One day, while jogging on a mountain trail in Utah I was taking pics of my (then 3 week old) M4 PM2 and my GB2. I put the GB2 in my right front pocket while I took a pic of my PM2, then as I headed down the trail to the next photo op I foolishly clipped the PM2 in my left front. At that moment I thought the only risk in doing this would be that I could cut my hand when I reached in to get it if I wasn't careful. Only 3 or 4 steps into jogging down the trail, the PM2 opened and stabbed my leg. Luckily it wasn't deep. It sure was startling though!

Despite my mistake I do not think the detent was too weak. I consider this operator error. Whether a knife is carried tip up, tip down, right side, or left, any folding knife clipped in a pocket needs the blade positioned against the seam of the pocket for safety.

CK
Off topic

I love my osprey Poco for hiking with my toddlers. Just looking at getting a Gregory baltoro 75 pack based on a good price and its great reviews.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:25 am
Off topic

I love my osprey Poco for hiking with my toddlers. Just looking at getting a Gregory baltoro 75 pack based on a good price and its great reviews.
A 75L is a big pack! I assume that's for some long adventures :D . I have 5 Ospreys and I love all of them. I also have 1 older Gregory, but I'm fully committed to Osprey packs now. The Baltoro does look like a very nice pack. I personally have to suggest at least considering the Osprey Aether 70. The Aether 70 and the Atmos 50 are my 2 favorite packs. Happy trails :D !

CK
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

The aether is much costlier, though just as loved. I got the Gregory for $178 and that includes a 3pk of black diamond carabiners. I'll need the 75l for weeks in the bwca with my kids, I'll be carrying the extra they can't.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:29 pm
The aether is much costlier...
Wow $178 is a deal I wouldn't have passed up either. I take my daughter backpacking so I know how it is to have to carry ALL the extra stuff. Heck..last Summer my daughter and I got to within 1/2 mile of our intended destination...just had to go over that last push to the plateau..but she was done. So, I found myself with an overstuffed Osprey on my back and a lighter Osprey in my hands while we made the last push :( :) . The price for getting my kids into enjoying the wilderness I guess...well worth it IMO :D .
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:52 am
Michael scott,

What are your thoughts so far?
From the posts I’d say that a weak detent, coupled in many instances with a flipper, can sometimes
create an open or partially open blade in a pocket, or or when being drawn from one. Many occurrences also seem to be the result of inattention to the knife’s condition and position when being carried.

From the number of frame, liner and compression lock knives that have been sold over the years and the few reported instances that were demonstrably not the user’s fault, I think this is a non-issue. Certainly any hand tool has the potential for injury and requires alert and knowledgeable use.

If I were to carry a non back lock knife clipped to my pocket I would be aware that, under certain conditions , like a “Doh!” moment, there might be a problem. Same as carrying a pistol.

So, buy quality knives, be smart and don’t treat them casually. I say that being one of the people who managed to slice his thumb whilst cleaning the blade on his new Chaparral.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I used to enjoy flippers from non-Spyderco manufacturers but I don’t like them any longer. Not so much because they might flip at inopportune times but I am just done with flipping.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

My compression locks have failed me before opening while not intended to, occasionally in pocket (tip-down) and a few more times falling out of a pocket or off a table. I edc'd PM/PM2 for years and this was the main reason for me to stop carrying this blade.

I really like a lock to keep my knife open as well as closed.
Nowadays mainly use backlocks, some CBBL's and slipjoints.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Xplorer wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:59 am

CK
So what if you want to carry a knife and you have no pockets? Or your pockets are full of other things?

I think its unreasonable to expect everyone to carry their knife only in one particular spot.
:unicorn
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

I don't think I've seen this mentioned but keeping the detent ball and detent hole clean are very important. With the detent hole being so small, it dosent take much for it to fill with dirt and pocket lent preventing the detent ball from resting securely and keeping the blade in place.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Hi Vivi,
Vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:30 am
So what if you want to carry a knife and you have no pockets?
Depending on the circumstances, it might make sense in that scenario for a person to consider whether or not a pocket knife is the best choice. A fixed blade is one good solution here. For anyone that is going to clip a pocket knife in their waistband I would not suggest any knife with a detent at all. A back lock mechanism for instance, adds spring pressure that provides "self close" for the last 1.5" - 2.5" inches of blade travel and provides more of the security and safety one needs in this case. I also have sheaths for some of my small pocket knives so they can be worn as neck knives, if such a need were to arise. If a person with no pockets wants to carry a pocket knife they should give careful consideration to how to do that safely.

Vivi wrote:

Or your pockets are full of other things?
Never in 30+ years of carrying pocket knives have my pockets been so full of other things that my knife wouldn't slip into the corner. I'm sorry, I just don't see this as a realistic scenario at all. If it were a real scenario the same answers for a pocket-less person would apply.
Vivi wrote:
I think its unreasonable to expect everyone to carry their knife only in one particular spot.
While I am certain I didn't suggest this, I'll offer a response. I agree. Although I have 1 preferred carry location, I can think of 8 spots where I carry knives depending on the circumstances. When a clip is positioned on any folding knife there are always 2 or more safe pocket positions. For example I prefer mine set up for front pocket, right side, tip up. I this configuration, I can also carry in the left side of my left rear pocket with equal safety. If I have a phone pocket on the side of my pants that's a 3rd option. If the knife is small enough to fit in the coin pocket that is a 4th option. Some knives I drop in my pocket without a clip. Some knives I put inside my backpack. Some knives I strap and clip to my backpack shoulder strap. Some times I wear them as a neck knife. There is always more than 1 safe option relative to the clip position no matter how you set up the clip.

The point of what I said was that if you position a blade against the seam of your pocket you can't cut yourself and your blade can't open. If one chooses not to do that they are likely risking their safety as I did.

All knife designs that require a detent can be jarred open. Any knife user should understand the design limitations and how to safely carry the design they choose. If they understand the design and they choose to carry in a unsafe manner, they're making that decision knowing that they are risking an accidental cut. If a person doesn't want to have such an understanding of the tool they choose to carry, I would suggest they would be best served by a back lock design. :)

Best regards,
Chad
Last edited by Xplorer on Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Any knife you can flick open can be an issue, even a back lock. I dropped my Native once where it ended up open. I can gravity flick upside down (what ever you want to call it) any of my back lock knives. Just because a knife has a close bias doesn't mean that it will not open partially under the right circumstance, get snagged on a piece of clothing, and cause an injury.

I have carried my compression lock without any issues (or any knife for that matter) during lot of impact prone activities, jumps, crashes, etc. Front pocket against the seam, or IWB.

To each their own. Everybody has their anecdotal evidence. So do I.
Peter