Byrd in hard-core salt and rust-prone enviroments: Any testimonials, stories, or images and feedback?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
SpyderEdgeForever

Byrd in hard-core salt and rust-prone enviroments: Any testimonials, stories, or images and feedback?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Are there any of you on the forum or situations you know of in which Spyderco Byrd knives such as the Cara Cara and Cara Cara 2 and Byrd Rescue and other Byrd knives were exposed to concentrated and powerful corrosive and rusting enviroments such as salt water and other things? I would be interested in knowing.

What would be the most likely effects on a Byrd knife such as the Cara Cara 2 if it were exposed to non-stop salt water fishing, sailing, diving, boating, and other activities? Could it hold up without rusting and corroding away?
vivi

Re: Byrd in hard-core salt and rust-prone enviroments: Any testimonials, stories, or images and feedback?

Post by vivi »

One time I buried a Cara Cara 1 blade & a Buck 112 blade in PA, USA for a year. This is what they looked like when I unearthed them:

Obviously they'd look different if you were able to inspect the blades on a weekly basis and sand away the worst of the corrosion.

I've found 8Cr to be more prone to rusting than other budget SS steels, such as AUS8, BD1 and 440 series. Not significantly worse, but enough to notice.

I still think it's a great steel, especially with Spydercos heat treatment. Sharpens nicely and holds an edge longer than you'd expect, pretty tough, and still pretty corrosion resistant in the grand scheme of things.

If I knew I'd be exposing a knife to harsh corrosive environments on a repeated basis, I'd rather spend the extra $$ on a salt series knife and spend much less time on maintenance.
:unicorn