Cara Cara stiffness

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
redhawk44357

Cara Cara stiffness

Post by redhawk44357 »

My only Byrd is a Cara Cara stainless that I have had for a couple of years. The main reason I don't edc this knife is because of blade stiffness. There are no screws to adjust and I have tried oiling and working it back and forth. Anything else I can try? Has anyone else had this problem?
sal

Re: Cara Cara stiffness

Post by sal »

I guess you can send it to Spyderco and see if they can do anything?

sal
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

If you tried adjusting the pivot screw and that didn't help I don't think there's anything you can do.
I could be wrong but I believe since it's a lock back the blade pushes against the spring tension when opening which creates friction. The only way to reduce it would be to have a weaker spring.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Try flushing it with WD40 and blow out the gunks.
Or, immerse in hot soapy water while working with the action (be careful not to get cut), rinse well, dry / blow dry (hair dryer), then the WD40 treatment (important to reach the nook where the spring sits in.

Hope it helps.
Chris :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd flush it out with hot water while working the pivot, then inspect it for debris. Usually when my backlocks are stiff, some gunk has built up in the pivot / lock interface area. After letting it completely dry, put two drops of lube in the pivot and cycle the action 10-20 times, then wipe out any excess lube. I like mineral oil myself.

If that doesn't do it, I'd send it in for inspection.
:unicorn