Gifts for 7yo twin girls

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Woodpuppy

Gifts for 7yo twin girls

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve been shopping for a pair of knives to give my twin girls on their 7th birthday next month. After looking at Spydercos, Opinels, SAKs, and other stuff, I think I’ve settled on a pair of Meadowlark 2s. Opinel got axed when I realized how round they are while sharpening one of mine, no indexing at all. The SAKs got the boot when I decided I wanted locking blades. And single blades! Heaven knows I do enough sharpening without adding more multi blade knives to the household. I also thought real hard about a couple AG Russell Woodswalkers, but ultimately settled on a locking folding design.

I’ll admit I’ve had a hangup about Chinese made goods. In fact I was nearly pushed over the edge when I once saw a tag that read “Hecho en China”. I generally try real hard to stick with US made goods, but that’s becoming harder to do every day. Ultimately I decided giving 7yo kids $75 knives is not wise... the price point of these Byrds means damage and loss is less painful, and by all accounts these are decent little knives.

I downloaded pics and cropped them so they were only color squares. They both picked the blue. But they don’t really know what they are...

I’ll post impressions after they get them. We have a camping trip lined up for November, perfect time to work on fire building and kindling prep. And no, they won’t get to keep them in their room!
M4Life

Re: Gifts for 7yo twin girls

Post by M4Life »

I've never used any of the Byrd knives but just from looking over the spec sheet on BHQ the meadowlark2 looks like a pretty solid knife for that price, and for a first knife, looking forward to hearing what they think of them.
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I tend to think children may well have more fun and possibly be safer with a fixed blade like a Mora Scout particularly on camping trips putting points on stick, making feather sticks and idle whittling.

A zero grind Scandi won’t be beaten at anything that involves cutting wood, the wooden handle shape won’t fatigue little hands or cause hot spots, the finger guard ensures little fingers don’t slide down to the blade and you can buy the rounded tip Mora model 39 (I think) that mitigates an accidental stab.

Just my $0.02c worth. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Woodpuppy,

It is just my opinion, but I think that the Meadowlark is too large for a 7 year old. The knives are large for small kinds, very sharp and the possibility of them hurting themselves is high.

I'm kinda wiith Bloke. If they will only be used for camping, a small fixed blade will serve well.

If you are set on a locking folder, I would recommend the Starling 2. Nice design, nice quality, low cost, G-10 scales.

sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Edited...wrong section
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Bloke & Sal, I appreciate your input. I considered a small fixed blade. I wrestled a little with the meadowlark vs the robin, which correlate in size quite well with the Delica and dragonfly. One of my girls already has her own 4” santoku since she really likes to help cook. They both understand about sharp knives. They’ve been using them since pre-K in Montessori. I’m under no illusion that they won’t cut themselves at some point, I still do from time to time... in the meantime, they’ve been “training” with the glow in the dark plastic Delicas. And that is why I ultimately chose the meadowlark, it seems a reasonable size in their hands, especially the cook- she’s got looong fingers and feet. If they seem too big when delivered, I’ll regroup.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Woodpuppy,

With that experience, then I would trust your judgement. Both the Meadowlark and Robin would be fine pieces.

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hi Wp

Your little girls are obviously well versed in knife handling which I feel is a credit to you and them both particularly being so young.

I’m sure they’ll enjoy their new knife and I wish them a Very Happy upcoming Birthday. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
embry386

Post by embry386 »

The Meadowlark sounds like a real cool gift. I know that when I was a little kid I would've been thrilled to get one :) The knives will probably not be too large, when I was 10 I got a fixed blade the size of an Endura and it never felt too large. Plus, this way they'll be able to keep using the knife for years without outgrowing it.

Good call on getting the cheap ones, too. The knives I had as a kid all ended up being chewed on, stabbed into the dirt, being used to cut up random plants with the concrete patio featuring as the chopping board, and not washed off for weeks afterwards. My brother used his as hatchets and prying tools, and managed to snap several in half, including a full-size tanto-point KA-BAR. They'll enjoy the cheaper knives just as much, and any damage or loss will not hurt nearly so bad.