Spyderco's New Web Site Design

This area is for information on how the forum works and for posting issues/requests. This is NOT to discuss Spyderco products, service, or Spyderco.com, etc. Please review the stickied threads PRIOR to posting a new thread!
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Spyderco's New Web Site Design

Post by Mad Mac »

Either I'm web surfing in a parallel universe or Spyderco has a new web site: http://www.spyderco.com/
If anyone has already started a thread about this, I couldn't find it.

The new web site is fresh, but... the header takes half of my screen. Only a sliver of a large image is visible at a time. It's like trying to read the page through a mail slot. I apologize but where is the old web site? I want it back.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Sharp Guy

Re: Spyderco's New Web Site Design

Post by Sharp Guy »

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Well, that's a relief. I thought it was just me.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Rocky123

Post by Rocky123 »

We've all complained about the problem for weeks.

Their tech response is......WE DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THE PROBLEM.....!!!

Tech people are "not users nor adminstrators". Therefore, they don't have any common sense when it comes to them designing a user friendly website.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Well, I don't know much about CSS but I think if they would simply remove the fixed header code
most of us will be very pleased.

Web site designing is like giving birth. You don't want anyone to tell you that your baby is ugly.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Rocky123 wrote:We've all complained about the problem for weeks.

Their tech response is......WE DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THE PROBLEM.....!!!

Tech people are "not users nor adminstrators". Therefore, they don't have any common sense when it comes to them designing a user friendly website.
Hi, Rocky123,
Perhaps you have us confused with another site. As of the day you wrote the above our new site had only been live for 11 days. I'm not sure who you've complained to for "weeks" but it doesn't seem as if it was us or maybe this was exaggerated a little?

The website is actually one of my primary projects as Digital Media / Marketing Administrator. I promise, I'm not exactly what you would call a "Tech" person although I am technically inclined I'm much more driven by user experience. We have a highly qualified webmaster for the technical side. I have been listening and will continue to listen and make adjustments but we'll do so with some thought and planning. If we did everything that everyone wants us to do... well the entire site would likely crash and we wouldn't be here at all. No site is perfect across every platform and every device. But every site is a dynamic "being" of sorts that we can tweak and find the right balance that works well, is stable, and provides a great user experience on as many platforms/devices as is possible.

Thanks much for your patience as we continue on in our practice of CQI with our website.

Make it a good day.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Rocky123

Post by Rocky123 »

Kristi, it is your Spyderco website.

The HEADER is taking up at least 40% of the screen.

See above comments, others are complaining also.

Just looking at the screen one can see that it was not designed properly.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have to agree. The persistent header consumes far too much blank space. It could remain persistent (although I think that isn't necessary) and be drastically reduced in size. Splashing the same info on page after page is distracting and not necessary. It's possible that your web person has used a template which features this unfortunate element. I strongly urge you to revisit the overall layout and test a different template that is more user and informationally friendly.

I use Squarespace for my web design tools and hosting. Might be worth a look through their templates.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

oops, meant to comment in the other new site thread.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

Very nice, i very love it! Good job done!