Mobile format on tablet?

This area is for information on how the forum works and for posting issues/requests. This is NOT to discuss Spyderco products, service, or Spyderco.com, etc. Please review the stickied threads PRIOR to posting a new thread!
Sharp Guy

Mobile format on tablet?

Post by Sharp Guy »

In the past I've been using my laptop or smartphone to view the forum. When using my phone the site automatically displays in a better format for viewing on small screens. I bought a tablet today and the site displays in the format for larger screens but the text is a little to small for my liking. Anyone know of a way that I can manually change the skin so that I can view in the mobile format? I know the site I'm a moderator on has a little drop down menu at the bottom of the screen that allows the user to change the format (skins). I don't see that on this site.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
DougC-3

Re: Mobile format on tablet?

Post by DougC-3 »

IIRC Kristi said the server automatically determines what it thinks is the appropriate format for your device and that there is not a manual setting for it. (She can correct me if I'm wrong of course, or if this has changed.) I wonder if you could approach the problem through your browser. On my Android tablet, in the Chrome browser there is a setting to toggle from mobile to "request desktop site" but it doesn't change the font size at the Spyderco forum when I change back and forth. On my tablet, "pinching" (unpinching, haha) works pretty well for forum reading if I want bigger print, but I know that's a kludge compared to using a mobile gateway.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

DougC-3 wrote:IIRC Kristi said the server automatically determines what it thinks is the appropriate format for your device and that there is not a manual setting for it. (She can correct me if I'm wrong of course, or if this has changed.) I wonder if you could approach the problem through your browser. On my Android tablet, in the Chrome browser there is a setting to toggle from mobile to "request desktop site" but it doesn't change the font size at the Spyderco forum when I change back and forth. On my tablet, "pinching" (unpinching, haha) works pretty well for forum reading if I want bigger print, but I know that's a kludge compared to using a mobile gateway.
Thanks for the response Doug. I'm using Chrome on my tablet too and I had tried toggling the settings and, like you said, it doesn't change anything. I did notice that the check box for "Request desktop site" was unchecked yet I was already on the desktop site. I thought that was a little strange. Not a big deal to zoom in with the ol screen pinch. I thought I'd ask in case I was overlooking something.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:IIRC Kristi said the server automatically determines what it thinks is the appropriate format for your device and that there is not a manual setting for it. (She can correct me if I'm wrong of course, or if this has changed.) I wonder if you could approach the problem through your browser. On my Android tablet, in the Chrome browser there is a setting to toggle from mobile to "request desktop site" but it doesn't change the font size at the Spyderco forum when I change back and forth. On my tablet, "pinching" (unpinching, haha) works pretty well for forum reading if I want bigger print, but I know that's a kludge compared to using a mobile gateway.
Thanks for the response Doug. I'm using Chrome on my tablet too and I had tried toggling the settings and, like you said, it doesn't change anything. I did notice that the check box for "Request desktop site" was unchecked yet I was already on the desktop site. I thought that was a little strange. Not a big deal to zoom in with the ol screen pinch. I thought I'd ask in case I was overlooking something.
I had the reverse problem with my Yahoo email. I hate Yahoo's mobile email interface (skin?) and it kept reverting after a little while every time I went to desktop format. But finally there was a change somewhere and now it stays the way I set it. But I do like the Spyderco interface that I get on my iphone with the chrome browser.

I notice that the popular Opera browser has a mobile and a "mini" version: http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/14/opera- ... r-android/ Maybe one of them would be more to your liking if the Spyderco server doesn't force a desktop version.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

DougC-3 wrote:I notice that the popular Opera browser has a mobile and a "mini" version: http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/14/opera- ... r-android/ Maybe one of them would be more to your liking if the Spyderco server doesn't force a desktop version.
Yeah....I've used a few other browsers in the past and I prefer Chrome for the simple reason that I use it on my PC, phone and now tablet and they share bookmarks, history, etc. I might experiment Firefox & Opera just to see if they handle this site any different but I'm not going to use a different browser just so I can read this one forum so I may not bother. Again, it's not that big of deal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

DougC-3 wrote:I notice that the popular Opera browser has a mobile and a "mini" version: http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/14/opera- ... r-android/ Maybe one of them would be more to your liking if the Spyderco server doesn't force a desktop version.
Yeah....I've used a few other browsers in the past and I prefer Chrome for the simple reason that I use it on my PC, phone and now tablet and they share bookmarks, history, etc. I might experiment Firefox & Opera just to see if they handle this site any different but I'm not going to use a different browser just so I can read this one forum so I may not bother. Again, it's not really that big of deal.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I use chrome for all those reasons too, plus, since my tablet is a Nexus, I get all the latest Chrome updates as soon as they're released ... but I guess I've kicked this horse enough :)