Thread: Joggers stalked by a bear

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar

Joggers stalked by a bear

Wow. This is why I don't go into the woods without something significant to use as a weapon, preferably a handgun or more. I don't really care if they're protected or endangered or what, I'd have fired one in the dirt near him and if he kept getting closer I'd have shot him. Supposedly wildlife officials said they did everything "right"...I really don't think running was a wise choice, that turns you into prey.

Interview video:

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Full video (language warning at parts)

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Odd behavior for a wild animal. Female bears will attack if you get between them and a cub. Male bears may attack during mating season if you get between them and a female. Otherwise, unless they've become totally accustom to human presence, they'll run the other way. The dialog at the beginning of the longer video sure makes it sound like they made a habit of feeding that bear, and it was expecting a handout. Makes me think this one should be filed under "stupid people tricks".
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Animals All Over Getting Very Aggressive

This is a phenomenon that is really getting worse here in the continental USA>> and that is the incidence of the high amount of unprovoked animal attacks that have been prolific in the past 8 to 10 years. Even here in Missouri I'm hearing of mountain lions chasing people in public parks and in one case a buck deer actually attacked a hiker. Oh yes we do indeed have mountain lions here in Missouri because I have personally seen one myself a while back crossing the old 224 Highway heading to Lexington, MO.

We used to find their tracks quite a bit up in those north Missouri wetlands where I used to work. I've been hearing of more mountain lion attacks throughout the country more than I ever did in the past. There have been many more incidents of shark attacks in Florida and California beaches. I don't know if it's human encroachment or the diminishing habitat in some areas or what it is. But I do know that we are hearing of more and more of this.

Evil you are very wise to take a weapon with you into the timbers. I used to hike a lot here in Missouri forests but I've slowed down somewhat not only because of my knees but I've also run into humans that were not so nice in the middle of the woods on several incidents. I've carried some type of weapon with me into the forests for the past 15 years now and I've never regreted it.

There is indeed an unexplained and mysterious rise of animal attacks all over the USA. You can't deny it because it's all documented.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User DRKBC's Avatar
    Lucky for them it was a black bear still, usually they don't stick around as long as this one did. He may have had a sense they were going to feed him or he was just being curious. It is also possible he has been exposed to human food (he looked used to humans)and that's never good for the bear. In our neck of the woods we see quite a few black bears (fortunately not too many grizzlies in our part of the province) Once when mountain biking at our local ski resort, the guys ahead of me mistakenly passed a cub and in the process ended up between him and his mom. I have never seen two people abandon 2 very expensive bikes so fast after about a half an hour the bears had cleared and they were able to hike back down the trail and retrieve there bikes.

Bears are nothing to be taken lightly for sure however, black bears in the wild are usually quite skittish unless they feel threatened, are eating or they have young ... then that's another deal. I 'm glad the people and the bear came out OK. That said perhaps the bear should brush up on his English, he should at least be familiar with the stop and stay commands. Maybe they should have gone for something easier like shake a paw.
    Last edited by DRKBC; 06-23-2014 at 08:14 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    As we encroach more and more into their habitats we are going to see more and more attacks and scares like this one...and of course it will always be that some crazed animal attacked people. It's never the fault of the people...
    On the hunt for...

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    That bear seemed very used to humans. Almost like he was raised by a human and they did a granny drop in the forest when he got big. It wasn't aggressive posturing, more a sense of hoping to get fed. I'm with Deacon on this. The bear even got scared at one point and almost treed. Not an old, sickly or starved looking bear which are often the ones desperate enough to go after humans.

Joe
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Spyderco Forum Registered User ourgon's Avatar
    That remind me one scene.

13:50
    Street Bowie
    Street Beat
    Paramilitary 2
    Starmate 440V
    Police SS
    Endura IV FG
    ClipiTool

It's the same as any bear encounter, they lived because he didn't decide to attack. They got real lucky he didn't pursue them when they started running at the end. I agree he most likely expected food, it's strange he had no real fear of them but then they could have stood their ground and I think he would have backed off if they both acted aggressively enough.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    They are wild animals and have teeth, why the heck anyone would feed them? The idiots that feed them should also be sprayed with bear spray.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.