Thread: Case Baby Butterbean?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Case Baby Butterbean?

Anybody here familiar with the Case Baby Butterbean? I came across three Baby Butterbeans in an antique store the other day and I am very intrigued by them. I really like the mini-canoe pattern and the knives look to be very well made. The three that I found are LNIB 2001 production. Two of them are bolstered and each has a different shade of blue smooth bone. The third is in green shadow bone. I have found several for sale online, but not these specific models, and I haven't found any shadow bone models for sale. Are these knives collectible and do they hold their value? What else can you tell me about the Butterbeans? Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Spyderco Forum Registered User yablanowitz's Avatar
    All I can tell you is I have one in natural bone and if my hands were about half their size it would be a great knife. As they are, it's too small for me to get much use out of it. I've never seen a shadow model, but I've never really looked, either.
    I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.

Yablanowitz, Thanks for your input. I'm not as concerned about usability as I am about collectability. When I saw them they reminded me of the micro Dyad, but in a retro kind of way. I love both micro Dyads that I own, but they really aren't that functional as a primary knife either. I love them for their design, beauty and workmanship. That is also what I like about the Butterbeans. My problem is that I just hate to buy anything without being informed about the item first. If anyone can give me a guesstimate of the value of the green shadow bone Baby Butterbean, then I would very much appreciate it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    I don't really know anything about Case Butterbeans and have no idea what "shadow bone" is, but I'm fairly certain that, just like Spydercos, pretty much anything Case has ever produced is collectible to some degree regardless of its practicality.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User yablanowitz's Avatar
    Shadow bone or shadow pattern basically means bolsterless. The bone covers (which we incorrectly call scales these days) run all the way to the ends of the handle instead of being capped with metal. Not something commonly seen on the canoe/butterbean pattern.

Being an accumulator rather than a collector, I have no idea what they would be worth to someone else even though I have one.
    I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.

I call the Butter bean the perfect Child's first knife since the blades are not so pointy and dangerous. I have been buying selling and trading on Case knives for over fifty five years and just about any of them are collectible. Case Collectors are a picky bunch sometimes though and its best to have the original box warranty paper and wrapping paper. I had an 08 Whittler in shadow Bone but sold it on the Case forum which allows you to buy sell and trade and is the very best place to look for Case knives

RanCoWeAla,
    Thanks for the information. I went ahead and splurged and purchased all three. I just couldn't resist the nice bone handles in some very cool colors.
    BTW, They do have the original wrapping paper and warranty.

From top to bottom we have sky blue, hunter green shadow bone, and medium blue.

Here's a shot with the Dyads

You did good those are some beautiful knives.

You'll have to join us on the Case Collectors Club Forum. Its $15 a year but well worth it and you'll agree the first time you buy sell or trade knives with other members. I have bought sold and traded with members all over the U.S. and Canada and exchanged Christmas cards with several members last year including on e in Moscow, Russia.

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar
    Hi Folks!

That Hunter Green Shadow Bone looks fantastic:

Quote Originally Posted by remnar View Post
    From top to bottom we have sky blue, hunter green shadow bone, and medium blue.
    Stay Sharp!