Thread: Family fights Cops after knives nixed at fun park

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Family fights Cops after knives nixed at fun park

http://news.yahoo.com/family-fights-...184458333.html

I apologize for not originally posting this here in off-topic...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Genius. Belt knives in a park, arguing with officer warnings, physical altercations. They are lucky bullets weren't fired...
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User ASmitty's Avatar
    These are the people that have caused the uphill battle we face as knife enthusiasts.
    "A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    Genius. Belt knives in a park, arguing with officer warnings, physical altercations. They are lucky bullets weren't fired...
    At least they didn't attempt to use the knives against the officers. This at least proves they didn't consider them weapons.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    At least they didn't attempt to use the knives against the officers. This at least proves they didn't consider them weapons.
    I guess a tiny victory. Someone getting stabbed would just make everything more murky. What a mess though!
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Or at least were not stupid enough to bring knives to a gunfight.

Guess they couldn't grasp the concept that private property owners get to make rules as to what can be brought onto their premises. Non-service dogs, booze, guns, knives, cameras, topless male bodies, shoeless feet, etc.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User ASmitty's Avatar
    Of course they didn't, according to the article they were too busy trying to take the officers' guns.
    "A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

If it's too hot to walk back to the truck to stash the belt knives, it's probably too hot to make it to the rides that have all the cooling splashes.

Spyderco Forum Registered User ginsuwarrior's Avatar
    "Live free or die", I'm sure they were thinking.
    Military // PM 2 // Endura // Delica // Stretch // SE Tasman // SE Hawkbill Ladybug

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HorserloverFat View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/family-fights-...184458333.html

I apologize for not originally posting this here in off-topic...
    But how about telling us what YOU think about this?

Sounds like a family of dumb bunnies.

As I am in Canada and a knife in pocket isn't considered a concealed weapon (since it is a tool first and foremost) whenever I enter into a public place that may have its own security (like a mall for instance) I will not keep it clipped to my pocket but instead put it into my pocket completely. I will do this to avoid a confrontation with security who would only be doing a competent job by confronting me - of which I entirely respect their position. When you are on private property you have to respect the rules of the house. Just as when you are in my house you respect my rules of civil behaviour, and if not, then have the option to leave peacefully when first asked to politely; or choose to live dangerously and face a painful exit. This is why I don't like visitors to my house that I don't know personally or haven't been vouched for by a close enough friend who would assist me if necessary in their removal if they were to become stupid in any uncivil and impolite behaviour to myself or my friends and family.

This family basically (and stupidly) didn't respect the rules of someone else's "house" and now have an expensive legal headache to deal with which I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. I feel sorry for the kids and their prognosis in life with such a poor role model of a father. Another generation of dangerous idiots has come into existence and perhaps several months in jail would be a good thing for these kids to experience to teach them to be civil in public or learn what its like to lose their freedom and live with others who have chosen to disregard civil respect for their fellow man.

Also, if I enter a bar I will not carry a knife at all but rather leave it in the car. If you do have to defend yourself in such a case and if you can't remove yourself from the situation quickly enough and police find a knife on you (even though it remained in your pocket) then this could complicate an already complicated situation. My advice, if you can't avoid it and are forced to defend yourself in public then do what you have to do to remain safe and then exit the area as quick as possible. Most of the general public reacts very slowly and if you can hit an exit quickly then you have a higher potential of avoiding any mess that another person has created for you. The best thing you can do for yourself is to suppress any natural testosterone fueled urges and attempt to defuse any confrontation with idiots rather than escalating them. You also have to keep in mind that there are people who you encounter in public who can turn psychotically violent in a blink of an eye without much warning. Being civil to everyone you meet lessens the likelihood of triggering such a response in an unknown stranger.

In Canada, if a bouncer pats you down and finds even a small sub 3" blade on you that is usually it for you for that night. Even taking it to your car is not good enough since the establishment now knows that you have it accessible nearby and could potentially be a risk for them if you are an idiot and are intoxicated and unhappy at the end of the night. I once had a tiny keychain Swiss Army knife attached to my keys and this happened to me. In that case, the bouncer was reasonable and I made him a deal. I let him hold onto it for me for the night and if I wasn't acting like a fool and had a calm demeanor and wasn't overly intoxicated when I exited then he would return it. That is exactly what happened and I respected the position that he was in and he understood as well that it was easy to forget that my Swiss Army key chain knife with a sub 2" blade was even there in the first place or might be an issue.

Carrying a belt knife openly in a high density public area is just dumb when a small pocket knife that can be buried at the bottom of your pocket can serve any purpose to which you might want to use it - even a 3.5" blade is quite useful as a dinner utensil.
    Last edited by ManixFan; 06-20-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    But how about telling us what YOU think about this?
    I agree. It isn't nice to stir the pot and then leave without your own take on the dish you've set before others. Let's hear what you think of this incident.

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ManixFan View Post
    I agree. It isn't nice to stir the pot and then leave without your own take on the dish you've set before others. Let's hear what you think of this incident.
    Same comment he got at the other place.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    The "Right to Arm Bears" is protected by the Constitution, right?

(not a political statement, just an attempt at a lame joke...)

TedP

Spyderco Forum Registered User Teddy Thompson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipsted View Post
    The "Right to Arm Bears" is protected by the Constitution, right?

(not a political statement, just an attempt at a lame joke...)

TedP
    I certainly hope so.
    Support your right to keep and arm bears!