Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thankful

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar

Thankful

Hey, everyone! Believe it or not, I just got back from the Blade Show last night - almost 10 days after the show ended. On Saturday night, I started getting ill and I almost didn't make it back home on the plane. By the time I landed at the airport, my wife took one look at me and drove me straight to the Emergency Room. Turns out I had pancreatitis and some particularly nasty gall stones. One surgery and lots of painkillers later, I finally arrived back home yesterday - sore and exhausted.

Waiting for me at home was an unexpected package. When I opened it, there was a grey Spyderco box, a little lanyard, and a note from one of our esteemed Forumites. The box contained a brand new TMag! The note from the Forumite said that he saw a recent thread where I mused about missing this model when it came out. He said he originally purchased two and one was sitting on a shelf - he thought I would be able to put it to good use! I can't tell you how much this act of kindness lifted my spirits. Thank you, K.!

I don't want to get all sentimental, but after this ordeal I have a few things on my mind that I'm thankful for (above and beyond the health stuff):

1. I am thankful that the community of Spyderco Fanatics on this board is so vibrant and caring. You guys rock.

2. I am thankful that Sal, Gail, Eric, and the rest of the Spyderco Crew spend time hanging out with us

3. I am thankful that Kristi and her Webmaster maintain this cool little hangout for us

Again, thanks, K., for your generosity. It is deeply appreciated. I'll post some pictures and my thoughts on the TMag once I'm feeling better.

TedP
    (on the mend, but not there yet)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Dang Ted glad you're pulling through it. There's a lot to be thankful for that we all take for granted, sometimes unfortunate situations help us realign our perspective on things.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User rescueseven's Avatar
    Wow.

Prayers.

Glad to hear things are getting better.

To K.:
    YOU ROCK!

Ian
    "We've been working on this design for 10 years, unsuccessfully." -Sal
    WTC #1398 Bless their souls
    C07P C10FPGYE C10JBOP C10PGRBBW C10PSGRWBK C10PSTA C36CF90VP C36FGD2P C41GP5 C41BBK C41PPR C63GP3 C64JPBK C70BKS C71TNPS C75P3 C79PSBK C81GSBK C82BK C82PSBK2 C86P C94GP C95GP C95GP2 C98P C101GPS C101G2 C101PDBL2 C109SLP C115CFP C122GPS C122GS C136GP K04PBK K04SBK K08BK MT01P MT02P MT03P MT05P MT08P MT10P T01PS WTC

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Dang Ted, take it easy! Glad all is better(ish) now!
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Jeez, Ted... no pics of the stones? Or are you going to make Mule scales it of them?

Glad you're OK!

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Heal up, brother!

Glad you're doing better.

Very generous, K.

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Bummer about the pancreatitis and the gall stones. My aunt suffers from chronic pancreatitis and has made several trips to the hospital for it over the years. She tells me it's more painful than giving birth, so those better be some good painkillers you got! Hope you're feeling better and I wish you a speedy recovery!
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Wow, I'm glad you're okay, Ted! We're here for you, bro.
    I must say I'm thankful for all those things, too.
    Enjoy your new knife. Way to go, K.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    I thought you'd been a little quiet here lately, Ted. Glad to hear you made it through the pancreatitis and gall stones ordeal. I had pancreatitis one time back in '05. Nasty business. Thought I was a goner. Anyway, I hope you're up and feeling your old self very soon!
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    Prayers for your quick recovery Ted.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Spydersense's Avatar
    Get well soon Ted!
    Time for another !

-Matt

Sounds horribly painful. Glad to hear that you are doing better. K is a generous person!

I got a gift from another generous person here...the 52100 Mule. It's sitting here waiting to be put through its paces.
    But this forum is a special place filled with some very generous and amazing people.

even when I can't afford any new knives(like now...though I'm dying for the S110V M2!) . It's a great place just to hang out and see hwats going on.
    On the hunt for...

I also left a BLADE SHOW sick

Ted that is the darnedest thing>> I had something similar but not quite that bad happen to me when I came back from a BLADE SHOW back in 2005. I had gotten an ear infection I guess in the Waverly Hotel swimming pool. When we landed in Kansas City Internation Airport my ears and the inside of my skull had so much pressure I literally thought that my head was going to explode.

Luckily I had a former Military medic on the plane 2 seats away from me and a flight attendant that was a former nurse who helped hold me together while we made the descent into KC. I had never experienced pain in my head like that before. They even had a Doctor at the airport come onto the plane to check me out when everyone else got off.

The next day I went to see my primary care physician and told him what happened and he about flipped and said what I did was truly sort of dangerous. He said to NEVER, EVER fly on an airplane even if you suspect you have an ear infection. That was an excruciating pain that I've never experienced anything quite like it to this day. I was literally in tears by the time we landed and I thought that I was going to have my brain rupture and I was truly a little freaked out.

They loaded me up on painkillers and anti-biotics and it took me about a week to get over it.

But hey buddy I'm thankful to GOD you're on the road to recovery and you pulled through it OK. Just do what your Doc tells you to and you should be 100% in a short time. I'm hoping I'll be financially healed up enough to go to next year's BLADE SHOW. To me the BLADE SHOW is even better than the X-mas holiday. I'll keep you in my prayers TED.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User DRKBC's Avatar
    When health issues arise they really bring things into focus quickly. I am glad you are OK and hope you are back up to full speed soon. Very thoughtful gesture K.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Glad to hear you weathers the crisis Ted. That was a terrific act of kindness by K. I love being here and seeing the pay it forward concept first hand on an almost weekly basis. Spyderco forum and it's terrific family of members are my digital home away from home and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Looking forward to seeing some beauty shots when you are feeling yourself again Ted.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    Scary stuff Ted. Glad you're on the mend. I spend more time on this site than any other website on the net. There's no where quite like it and your story shows that.

All the best,

Donovan
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!! X 2, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 2
    Grail: A.T.R.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Glad to hear they fixed you up, Ted. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Ted, good to know you went through OK.

K (I thought it was Ken 玉鋼 ), a very timely gift! Kudos to you, and it seems both of you are linked somehow and it goes stronger now!

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User Knivesinedc's Avatar
    Aww stuff like that blows! Praying for a speedy recovery, Ted. -Jake-

P.s Extremely nice gesture K!
    Our Freedom, you want it, Come and take it.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"