Thread: Píkal size compared to Delica

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Píkal size compared to Delica

Hey Guys, I just got a Spyderco P’kal (C103G) that I’ve been researching for some time. It’s a sophisticated & elegant pocket folder. It’s a neat little machine that is tight and smooth. I was kind of surprised how similar the P’kal is in size to the Delica; but a bit heavier than the Delica.

The comparison pictures show my new Pikal set up for left front pocket carry, and my orange Delica set up for right front pocket carry. I’m just a hobbyist/collector who likes nice knives and I carry all the time wherever legal.

I noticed the front-opening wave feature takes a little getting used to. I suffer from “Dunlap’s disease” (spare tire with my belly extending past my belt) so I cut my tucked-in t-shirt the first time deploying the blade, but I didn’t cut flesh. I also learned to roll the knife into the correct position in the hand while deploying. In my limited experience the P’kal works great for peeling fruit, opening mail, and of course showing off to friends.

The two knives are also similar in thickness.

I also like the modified wharncliffe hawkbill shape of the Pikal blade but did not photograph it
    Last edited by UpDok; 06-15-2014 at 01:09 PM.
    ďLook unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.Ē Isaiah 45:22 KJV

the wave is removable on the P'kal if you do not need it for SD purposes. Would make it a better EDC if that is your intent

We spent more than a year developing the model, which was originally suggested by a forumite.

sal

Quote Originally Posted by twinboysdad View Post
    the wave is removable on the P'kal if you do not need it for SD purposes. Would make it a better EDC if that is your intent
    Thanks and yes, the removable wave feature makes this knife more attractive for EDC. With the wire clip the P'kal resembles a Caly 3.5 clipped in the pocket. Pulling the pickle out when in a seated position with a gut overhang is not for the feint of heart

It's definitely a badass little knife
    ďLook unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.Ē Isaiah 45:22 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    We spent more than a year developing the model, which was originally suggested by a forumite.

sal
    I was a member at Southnarc's forum before I was a member here! I actually tried my first Spydie, a waved D4 because of that forum and it all started from there

I need to find myself one of those.

UpDok, where did you get the "got liberty?"

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post

sal
    Sal,
    Thanks for producing such extraordinary and well-made knives. I like the wide variety of clever and subtly well thought out products that you offer at reasonable prices.

The P’kal is truly a one-of-a-kind thoroughbred that obviously reflects a lot of hard earned experience from it’s designers.

You guys build good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    I need to find myself one of those.

UpDok, where did you get the "got liberty?"
    Tom,
    It’s a charcoal grey t-shirt I picked up while visiting the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall in Philadelphia about 4 years ago. I “got liberty” from the National Park Service bookstore. The shirt always gets a lot of smiles when I wear it. I thank God for my Liberty in the USA

edit to add: if you Google "got liberty t-shirt" you'll find several suppliers of the same or similar shirts
    Last edited by UpDok; 06-16-2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: got liberty