Thread: Sharpening non-conventional BLADES? Hawkbills, Captain, Dodo ect,..

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Question Sharpening non-conventional BLADES? Hawkbills, Captain, Dodo ect,..

I put up a thread similar to this one about a year ago. But at the time I didn't get many responses. There has been a lot of renewed interest in the C-111 Captain model for instance along with many of Spyderco's other non-conventional blade designs like Hawkbills, Reverse S and other specialized designs. And sharpening is a major issue with any good quality blade>> because if it isn't sharp it is almost worthless IMO.

So what I want to know is what methods do you all use to keep your non-conventional blades like the Captain, Harpy, Spyderhawk (PE OR SE), Dodo, Matriarch, Civilian or even the humble Meerkat for that matter.

I know there is more than one way to sharpen many of these great but unusual blades. So I want you all to share how you sharpen your non-conventional blades. And do you all find the Goldenstone or any of Spyderco's other sharpening tools to be the ticket for success in this area. I sure like the versatility of the older/discontinued Spyderco 701 Profiles and I do hope we see them return to the line up eventually. But I'm open to hear about any other well known brands of sharpening equipment that might be useful. I just want to know what works for you.

Also I tend to find plain edged Hawkbills to be one my biggest challenges. So anything that can help that job in particular will be highly appreciated. OK tell us how you sharpen your unusual Spyderco blades. But let's keep it restricted to non-conventional and specialized blades.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    So far, I've used the bottom of a ceramic lasagna boat at work for a hawkbill, and it worked perfectly.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

If it works that's all that counts

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    So far, I've used the bottom of a ceramic lasagna boat at work for a hawkbill, and it worked perfectly.
    I would love to see that. I don't know what a "lasagna boat" is But it sounds to me like you happened on to something that really does work.

It's kind of like when I got myself a spare set of ceramic sharpening stones from the Spyderco GALLEY V sharpening kit from the late 90s. They are shaped like a "Cat's Eye" configuration and they fit the small Reverse S blade of the Dodo almost perfectly. And that's about all I use on my Dodo model.. It was just by accident I discovered those stones for sharpening the Dodo and I've not found anything that beats it out.

Hey it works and it works well>> and it sounds like you are on to something.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    I have several hawkbill Spyderco knives, serrated and plain edge, we have a couple of haw =kbill parring knives, perfect for apple coring BTW. I shapren them all on my Spyderco Sharpmaker using the corners of the triangle shaped stones. I've also used it to sharpen some wavy blade designs on friends knives, most recently a SigTac knife.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Officer Gigglez's Avatar
    Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.
    The sharpmaker works for me on karambits and Hawkbills.
    Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
    -Tenacious G-10, Combo edge
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Persistence Limited Edition Blue G-10, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -Delica 4, Grey FRN, Emerson Wave, PE
    -Karahawk collector's club #015, Custom Scales, Emerson Wave, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE
    -Byrd SS Crossbill, PE, Custom Engraved

Spyderco Forum Registered User bearfacedkiller's Avatar
    Sharpmaker for me. I usually avoid s and reverse s shaped blades but I keep my cricket sharp on my sharpmaker.
    -Darby

Karambits: A specially high degree Hawkbill

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Gigglez View Post
    The sharpmaker works for me on karambits and Hawkbills.
    Very interesting! It's been a while since I've heard someone brag about how good the Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker is on Karambit type blades. For all you newbies that are not familiar with the Karambit>> well it's kind of a really radical Hawkbill of sorts. The time I had a Karambit I used the 701 Profiles along with the Cat's Eye stones from the Spyderco Galley V sharpening kit.

The point on a Karambit in particular was a real tough one for me to get just right because the point was at such a high degree you really had to be careful not to round it off. Which poses another challenge; because the points of many blades to get right are a challenge all their own.

The 204 Sharpmaker is truly a genius invention to say the least. I even know of 2 people that own 204 Sharpmakers who don't even know squat about Spyderco. As great of a finishing tool as it is you still have to be very careful not to round off points of just about any style of blade.

I'm hoping to hear more about the Captain model and recurves in general.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    This thread prompted a picture of the implements I use and that prompted an unscheduled (but needed) sharpening session this afternoon.

DMT Curved Aligner stone and my 701MF Profile set.

I have been looking at getting a set of the DMT Diamond Honing Cones to have a longer option for my curved blades.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    This thread prompted a picture of the implements I use and that prompted an unscheduled (but needed) sharpening session this afternoon.

DMT Curved Aligner stone and my 701MF Profile set. [/IMG]

I have been looking at getting a set of the DMT Diamond Honing Cones to have a longer option for my curved blades.
    I've heard that the DMT Aligner is no longer available. I hope that isn't the case because it's certainly a tool I would like to have. Or if it is maybe it's still available on the secondary market. I'm surprised that Spyderco hasn't come up with something comparable because of all their unusual and non-conventional blade designs i.e. the Captain, Matriarch PE & SE, all the recurves and Reverse S as well as all the Hawkbills PE & SE. Maintenance and sharpening of unusual and non-conventional blade designs is not something I dread>> just the contrary>> I just want the proper tools to do them with.

This subject poses a challenge to Spyderco>> because I think there should be a video on sharpening such blades. I think it would kindle more interest and probably sell more of these most interesting blade styles.

Because one of the biggest reasons I have guys tell me why they don't want Spyderedges for instance is because they feel that sharpening them is too much a challenge for them. It's something to think about.

I know I stay away from those blade shapes but not too worried about Spyderedges though!

Thumbs up PE Hawkbills: Good For Food Prep

Quote Originally Posted by Pinetreebbs View Post
    I have several hawkbill Spyderco knives, serrated and plain edge, we have a couple of haw =kbill parring knives, perfect for apple coring BTW. I shapren them all on my Spyderco Sharpmaker using the corners of the triangle shaped stones. I've also used it to sharpen some wavy blade designs on friends knives, most recently a SigTac knife.
    That's very interesting "pinetree" because I also use my blue handled, plain edge VG-10 Spyderhawk to harvest persimmons in the fall every year. Hawkbills do have their place with culinary and food prep jobs in general. With the exception of the tip I use the 204 Sharpmaker to keep my VG-10 PE Spyderhawk super sharp. I use the 701 Profiles for the tip itself.

That is my only complaint about the 204 Sharpmaker is that if you're not careful you will round off the tip of many great blades which is why I mostly use manual tools on the tips. When using stones for conventional blades I never let the tip ever leave the stone and I keep them very sharp and pointy that way.

I've also used a Harpy for many jobs with apples and other fruit.

Spyderco Forum Registered User GoldenSpydie's Avatar
    I use a 203 Sharpmaker with regular and UF rods to sharpen my Dodo.

Super easy and pretty sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSpydie View Post
    I use a 203 Sharpmaker with regular and UF rods to sharpen my Dodo.

Super easy and pretty sharp.
    The problem I got with the Sharpmaker is that on a Reverse S blade/Hawkbill type blade I find that getting the tips needle sharp is kind of hard to do. Most of the time I do the tips on all my curved blades by using a manual tool like the 701 Profiles or something similar.

203 Sharpmaker??? You've had that one for a while.

Spyderco Forum Registered User GoldenSpydie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo View Post
    The problem I got with the Sharpmaker is that on a Reverse S blade/Hawkbill type blade I find that getting the tips needle sharp is kind of hard to do. Most of the time I do the tips on all my curved blades by using a manual tool like the 701 Profiles or something similar.

203 Sharpmaker??? You've had that one for a while.
    I usually take one of the rods out of the guide and free-hand the tip. It is hard to explain but fairly easy to do.

Actually, I've had the 203 for about 2 months. Got it for a great deal used.

Seems like if you have a sharpmaker you are pretty well set. If you don't have one, or if you need to do heavy reprofiling you might have to get a curved implement, even a piece of broom stick, and wrap sandpaper around it. If you had a system that uses flat stones you could put something on the surface of the stones to build up a curve, wrap sandpaper around them, put them in the tool and go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSpydie View Post
    I usually take one of the rods out of the guide and free-hand the tip. It is hard to explain but fairly easy to do.

Actually, I've had the 203 for about 2 months. Got it for a great deal used.
    Yeah that's pretty much what I do with my 701 Profiles. As much as I love the 204 Sharpmaker I have discovered like any other sharpening tool it has it's limitations. All sharpening tools have certain jobs where they work better than just about anything. Sharpening tips on any blade with a curve is a specialized job in and of itself. And I find that manual tools used very carefully is a great way to do it.

Hawkbills when sharp from tip to heel are a great tool. But if the tip isn't sharp on a Hawkbill blade they are very limited as to what cutting jobs they can do.

The Dodo in particular is one blade design that is really dependent on a super sharp tip to perform well. Yes I can do a lot with the 204 Sharpmaker as far as getting the relief ground in on the main part of the blade. But the tip on the Dodo that's a different story. I find that either the 701 Profiles or the Cat's Eye stones out the old Galley V sharpening kit work extremely well.