Thread: New Nanotube material produced water from desert air, aka, A "Perpetual Canteen"

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar

New Nanotube material produced water from desert air, aka, A "Perpetual Canteen"

Look what they did. Scientists took the concept from this desert beetle, which is able to collect water from the air in deserts where it lives, and made nanotube forests that mimic this. The material is, at this time, in the lab stage, but, once we can produce them cheaply and in mass, we could have perpetual water containers that extract drinkable water from the air.

Its really amazing. Quantum computers and quantum processors, able to compute with quantum subatomic particles, and manipulate subatomic particles directly, as well as replicators able to make any stable three dimensional pattern of molecules/atoms.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    There isn't much humidity in the desert air. Not enough to support life in most cases. Somewhere like NC in the summer would have a bunch. Just look at a cold bottle or can to see how much moisture is around. One time I had a bottle of water sitting on the floor and it condensed enough water to get the attention of a passing spider which stopped by and drank water off the side of the bottle. Wish I had a camera for that.
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff View Post
    There isn't much humidity in the desert air. Not enough to support life in most cases. Somewhere like NC in the summer would have a bunch. Just look at a cold bottle or can to see how much moisture is around. One time I had a bottle of water sitting on the floor and it condensed enough water to get the attention of a passing spider which stopped by and drank water off the side of the bottle. Wish I had a camera for that.
    That is very cool. I like how the spider silk catches moisture droplets and it glistens.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Maate, I dunno, but you seem to be a bit space cadet, or should I say, right out on the cutting edge of new science.
    This is a place that generally freaks me out somewhat like planet of the apes. You know, like chimps in the engine room fooling about with spanners on the workings.
    Every now & then one chimp may actually, by fluke, adjust a tappet to the correct clearance. This just may be a case in point. It does not at this time appear to threaten the very rotation of the planet & seems to be a good practical use.
    O.

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O,just,O View Post
    Maate, I dunno, but you seem to be a bit space cadet, or should I say, right out on the cutting edge of new science.
    This is a place that generally freaks me out somewhat like planet of the apes. You know, like chimps in the engine room fooling about with spanners on the workings.
    Every now & then one chimp may actually, by fluke, adjust a tappet to the correct clearance. This just may be a case in point. It does not at this time appear to threaten the very rotation of the planet & seems to be a good practical use.
    O.
    Haha, indeed.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Spyderco Forum Registered User

I need more proof. See It Work In A Demanding Environment

As much as I would like to believe that there is truth to this idea I'm skeptical like the other Brothers. Because most American desserts I've been too are extremely arrid and drawing moisture I believe would be very difficult. Most of the survival shows I've watched claim that it takes at least 2 to 3 litres of water a day to sustain life particularly in a hot/dry desert environment. I would think that a device that could produce that much water would be one of the biggest inventions of the last century needless to say.

I've been studying the arts of survival for the past 15 years or so. I've subscribed to several magazines and have a few books on the subject. Cody Lundin has one I'm currently intrigued with entitled "98.6: Keeping Your Ass Alive". The 2 most important pieces of knowledge anyone can possess for survival are the ability to produce enough potable/drinkable water and the ability to make fire without the use of conventional means.

I'm not saying that it might not be possible but I am highly skeptical about this one. It just seems like it's just too good to be true.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!