Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The CAPTAIN is finally mine

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo View Post
    I could probably embrace the Goldenstone even more if it were available in other grits like medium and ultra-fine. The Goldenstone is a mystery of sorts because there has been a limited amount of information released on it. Common sense will guide you to a certain point but I'm sure it's inventor knows of many tricks and methods that we don't yet. It's funny that it's diamond counterpart "The Duckfoot" sharpener even got discontinued. Because in some ways I found the Duckfoot even more useful than the Goldenstone. I do hope we see a demonstration video on it soon.

The Captain is such a challenge to sharpen because it's like a Hawkbill, Recurve and Reverse S all in one. That's not a bad thing but it does pose unique sharpening challenges. It's one blade that I just wouldn't trust the 204 Sharpmaker to use for sharpening. So far it's been the 701 Profiles and 302 Benchstone for me. I'm open to any suggestions or ideas on sharpening methods for this most interesting blade design.
    I'm no expert, especially with non-standard shaped blade edges but it seems to me you are using as good a set of tools there is for that knife. That is one blade shape that an EP, WE, DMT Aligner, and other sharpening systems couldn't do as well. The EP would handle the recurve fine but the EP couldnt' do a good job on the other area. I can't think of a way to position the blade on the EP to make it work anyway.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Manual Tools Seem The Best For Sharpening The Captain

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    I'm no expert, especially with non-standard shaped blade edges but it seems to me you are using as good a set of tools there is for that knife. That is one blade shape that an EP, WE, DMT Aligner, and other sharpening systems couldn't do as well. The EP would handle the recurve fine but the EP couldnt' do a good job on the other area. I can't think of a way to position the blade on the EP to make it work anyway.

Jack
    That's good food for thought Jack. And your response is why I haven't pulled the trigger on either the Edge Pro or the Wicked Edge sharpening systems. Great quality tools needless to say but I'm wondering which one will ever accomodate these unusual blade styles.

So far up till now I've come to the temporary conclusion that the 701 Profiles, Cat's Eye stones from the Galley V sharpening kit and the 204 Sharpmaker seem to be the ticket for getting the Captain as well as 2 other challenging blade designs really sharp. Makes me wonder what Jason Breeden himself would choose to use for sharpening his masterpiece design?????l

It also shows me that in some sharpening jobs manual tools are truly the only way to go barring a new sharpening device to come to market that can accomodate such blade designs. And Spyderco has some of the best manual tools out there. Which is why I'm still perplexed as to why the 701 Profiles bit the dust so to speak.

Well the old saying really applies here>> "If There's A Will, Then There's A Way". I sort of educated myself on sharpening the Captain along with some of the other non-conventional blade designs. But I'll never quit looking for a better way to do those sharpening jobs which is why I just put up a thread today on this forum asking for everyone else's ideas on sharpening these challenging blade designs. Because if they are sharp then there is always a valid use for them.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!