Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The CAPTAIN is finally mine

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioactiveSpyder View Post
    Wow, heck of a snag there xceptnl!! That one always really intrigued me as well, post som emote pics when you get a chance... Really liking the custom scales on your Lil Matriarch there as well, it makes it look very classy. Cheers, Radioactive
    Thanks for the compliments. I got BOOMER52 to make me those albino gator texture g-10 scales not long after he joined the forum. It reminds me I need to order more. They do get dirty/discolored, but the white I really wanted.

I will post more pics over the next week.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    From what I have read about Jason Breeden's comments on the design I can summarize it like this. Imagine a compact outdoor oriented folding knife that can serve well for heavy draw / pull cuts (hawkbill), yet still have a durable and robust tip (for prying possibly). The bonus is that between the two, you end up with a small belly that can be used for skinning as well as any number of chores where belly serves best. After carrying it for 24 hours and using it lightly I can say it would be even more awesome for me if it was 25% to 30% larger.
    The one advantage that I've found about that rounded pendulum tip is that it starts a cut very easily. And it's easy to control the direction of the cut. And you've just fortified my point as to why the inner arch part of the Captain would be a super pull cutter with a full Spyderedge. I've always liked plain edges with somewhat of a belly to them which is why I'm so fanatical about the C-60 Ayoob model and why I won't shut up until they bring it back in Spyderedge. That knife is probably the most multi-functional specialty knife Spyderco ever made next to the big C-44 Dyad which also has a plain edged blade with a slight belly to it as well.

Another feature I've always liked about the C-111 Captain model is that it has a lot of cutting surface for such a compact folder. When I skinned that deer a few years back it was like unzipping it. But still I would like to hear Mr. Breeden's take on it. Spyderco is probably the only commercial knife company out there that would have dared to take on a product like it.

One Brother a couple of years ago suggested bringing back a Sprint Run of the Captain with an orange G-10 handle. I would be all for that if they would also offer it up in Spyderedge as well as plain edge. And maybe even make a minature saw toothed edge on the recessed swedge on the spine of the blade as well. That would make it really appeal to many survivalists and outdoorsmen.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo View Post
    .. And maybe even make a minature saw toothed edge on the recessed swedge on the spine of the blade as well. That would make it really appeal to many survivalists and outdoorsmen.
    A saw back would be great, but kiss your pristine pockets goodbye. I know another member here posted pics of the aftermarket serrations on the Captain for me a few weeks ago. Let me see what I can find and I will repost them in this thread for you to drool over Joe.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

A saw back would be great, but kiss your pristine pockets goodbye. I know another member here posted pics of the aftermarket serrations on the Captain for me a few weeks ago. Let me see what I can find and I will repost them in this thread for you to drool over Joe.
    If they did use the swedge part of the spine of the blade for saw teeth then you would just absolutely have to have a belt sheath. Which is why they usually do such extravagant things like that more to fixed blades than they do to folders. The more I think about it I would be extremely content with the inner arch part having a very spiky serration or even a wavy serration like they did in many of their early kitchen knives.

I managed to find one a while back...lightly used. But nearly perfect. I love it...its just a great knife. I really think that a sprint would go over well. I've said it before, I'll say it again...look at all the unusual blade shapes that we see these days. I think that the Captain would go over very well!
    On the hunt for...

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    Sweet deal, Landon! Am I slightly jealous? You bet. Heh heh. Enjoy that new beauty!
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBySnooSnoo View Post
    I managed to find one a while back...lightly used. But nearly perfect. I love it...its just a great knife. I really think that a sprint would go over well. I've said it before, I'll say it again...look at all the unusual blade shapes that we see these days. I think that the Captain would go over very well!
    I'm with you guys>> I truly think the C-111 Captain is a super candidate for a Sprint Run. And maybe something out of the ordinary like an orange G-10 handle or any radical color for that matter. But I do think they should offer it up in SE for the inner arch and full PE for those who just can't embrace a Spyderedge. Yes indeed unusual blade shapes and styles seem to be in vogue at this time and I do think a Sprint Run of the C-111 Captain model would go quickly.

I'm with you guys>> I truly think the C-111 Captain is a super candidate for a Sprint Run. And maybe something out of the ordinary like an orange G-10 handle or any radical color for that matter. But I do think they should offer it up in SE for the inner arch and full PE for those who just can't embrace a Spyderedge. Yes indeed unusual blade shapes and styles seem to be in vogue at this time and I do think a Sprint Run of the C-111 Captain model would go quickly.
    Would this model be a chance to test new materials? Could we do a full G-10 scale on this model? Could we do a PS H1 Captain with Orange G-10 slabs over Titanium liners?
    My 's:

*Landon*

Would this model be a chance to test new materials? Could we do a full G-10 scale on this model? Could we do a PS H1 Captain with Orange G-10 slabs over Titanium liners?
    Hey Brother as long as they would offer it up in Spyderedge as well as plain edged I would truly want one of each. But like the Superhawk and a couple of other models I could name it sure seems like it would be even better with a Spyderedge>> there is a reason that 90% of the Hawkbills that Spyderco makes and sells are fully serratted. And with the Captain model being somewhat of a hawkbill type of cutter it just makes perfect sense to me to offer up a Sprint run in Spyderedge.

The original photos I've seen of Mr. Breeden's original Captain design did indeed have a serrated edge. But your suggestion of a super rustproof model along with being made of exotic materials really appeals to me and I'm sure it would appeal to many others who are outdoors type people. Sure!! Bring it on!!

I'm a PE guy...so I'd want to see it that way. And I'd be happy with XHP...and Navy G10.
    On the hunt for...

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBySnooSnoo View Post
    I'm a PE guy...so I'd want to see it that way. And I'd be happy with XHP...and Navy G10.
    Hey I'm wanting them to make it both in PE & SE>> that way everyone has what they want and need. I could use my Captain a lot more if the inner arch was serrated.

But I'm certainly with you on your choice of materials. I love my XHP Military more than just about any knife I've gotten in the past 2 years. I wouldn't even mind if they did it in any other radical color. If they did do a Spyderedged version I would like to see it in D-2 or M-4. It's a great blade period so why not both PE & SE?

Spyderco Forum Registered User All-R-Crazy's Avatar
    Nice catch oh captain my captain. Now I want one
    delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military

Quote Originally Posted by JAfromMN
    My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Isn't Cowry X similar to M4? Maybe a sprint in Cowry X or whatever the steel is that's similar to M4.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jax's Avatar
    What a cool knife!
    Congratulations Landon

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Beautiful knife. For a collector, a must have I'm sure. As a user it looks like it would really shine for certain tasks. Congratulations on the find.

What does the other side of the blade look like? Is it the same or is the blade, the edge mainly, a chisel grind? It does look like a sharpening challenge. A set of 701's would be a great tool for the recurve section.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    Beautiful knife. For a collector, a must have I'm sure. As a user it looks like it would really shine for certain tasks. Congratulations on the find.

What does the other side of the blade look like? Is it the same or is the blade, the edge mainly, a chisel grind? It does look like a sharpening challenge. A set of 701's would be a great tool for the recurve section.

Jack
    Other than some diamond files the Spyderco 701 Profiles are about all I use on my beloved "user Captain" model. Like I've said before the Captain is certainly in itself a sharpening clinic. Because if you can keep the Captain sharp as a straight razor you can keep any blade super sharp.

I do think we'll see the 701 Profiles return at some point because I don't think the Goldenstone is getting much attention. Although I will say that the Goldenstone is not a bad tool for sharpening the Captain because I've used mine on my Captain model before with decent results.

On the pendulum PE end of the blade I've been using my Spyderco 302 Benchstones a lot with very encouraging results.

I do think we'll see the Captain return as a Sprint model. There are just too many people wanting it to happen. It won't be ignored much longer I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post

Jack
    I agreed that it's initial appearance seems very focused, but I am finding it to be very handy in the chores I would normally reach for my Manix or other larger handled, pointier blade model to accomplish. Yesterday I rebuilt the PT 2x12 stringers on my deck stairs. Every saw leaves corners and the task to clean them up and ensure the treads fit properly fell to the Captain. The pendulum portion of the blade as well as the inward curve proved useful.

Other than some diamond files the Spyderco 701 Profiles are about all I use on my beloved "user Captain" model. Like I've said before the Captain is certainly in itself a sharpening clinic. Because if you can keep the Captain sharp as a straight razor you can keep any blade super sharp.

I do think we'll see the 701 Profiles return at some point because I don't think the Goldenstone is getting much attention. Although I will say that the Goldenstone is not a bad tool for sharpening the Captain because I've used mine on my Captain model before with decent results.

On the pendulum PE end of the blade I've been using my Spyderco 302 Benchstones a lot with very encouraging results.

I do think we'll see the Captain return as a Sprint model. There are just too many people wanting it to happen. It won't be ignored much longer I'm sure.

If I didn't have the profile stones (and backups, thanks Jack) the Goldenstone would be the first tool I would order for portable edge maintenance. Perhaps a medium texture version to compliment the fine would change you opinion (and others as well) about the Goldenstone.
    My 's:

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User dbcad's Avatar
    Congrats The Captain is a really neat and unique blade shape. No doubt you will enjoy
    Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"

Thank you Charlie.

Today I also found the tip useful for cutting Birthday Cookie Cake for an after dinner snack.

My 's:

*Landon*

If I didn't have the profile stones (and backups, thanks Jack) the Goldenstone would be the first tool I would order for portable edge maintenance. Perhaps a medium texture version to compliment the fine would change you opinion (and others as well) about the Goldenstone.
    I could probably embrace the Goldenstone even more if it were available in other grits like medium and ultra-fine. The Goldenstone is a mystery of sorts because there has been a limited amount of information released on it. Common sense will guide you to a certain point but I'm sure it's inventor knows of many tricks and methods that we don't yet. It's funny that it's diamond counterpart "The Duckfoot" sharpener even got discontinued. Because in some ways I found the Duckfoot even more useful than the Goldenstone. I do hope we see a demonstration video on it soon.

The Captain is such a challenge to sharpen because it's like a Hawkbill, Recurve and Reverse S all in one. That's not a bad thing but it does pose unique sharpening challenges. It's one blade that I just wouldn't trust the 204 Sharpmaker to use for sharpening. So far it's been the 701 Profiles and 302 Benchstone for me. I'm open to any suggestions or ideas on sharpening methods for this most interesting blade design.