Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The CAPTAIN is finally mine

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar

Smile The CAPTAIN is finally mine

After over a year of searching for this long time grail of mine (amongst the new models, sprints, exclusives and surprises) and some serious bartering, the "precious" is mine. I have held the knife a time or two in years past, but either didn't have the funds or the interest when the opportunities came about to buy. The package was waiting on my desk today as I returned to work from vacation. I made my morning coffee and casually browsed my work emails while eyeing the box out of the corner of my eye. Once the morning hustle and bustle subsided, I tore into the box like a kid on Christmas. The fit in my had was just as I remembered it, similar to the Dragonfly (for me). Not so much in the handles size, but how my fingers seem to fall in the valleys and the peaks fill my palm. The handle is just enough to do the job, not like the Military that offers lots of room for movement, expansion and comfort yet I really like the compact footprint when closed.

The beautiful sweeping blade is a love it or hate it for most knife nuts (as I have gathered from years of hearing and reading others opinions of the oddity). I am in the LOVE IT camp! I can see exactly what Mr. Breeden was thinking when he designed it. I am a hawkbill lover and have been since my first pruner slipjoint as a kid. This unique take on the inward curve gives the best of both worlds. This knife is new, but will not be for long, I plan to put it into rotation and it will be accompanying my son & I on our next camping adventure.

Being gone from home for a while drove me crazy with anticipation to get back from vacation and get my paws on this gem. In the spirit of the Curved Ones, I carried these today to welcome the C111 into my collection.

My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    I'm very happy for you! Great post, I enjoyed reading the write up. You're a better man that I as there is no way I would have been able to deal with work while that bad boy was sitting on my desk waiting to be opened. I've never actively gone on the hunt for the captain but if I ever came a cross one in person I would scoop it up in a heartbeat. I've got the Rescue, it's needs it's mate, er..first mate...er captain. See what I did there?
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!! X 2, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 2
    Grail: A.T.R.

Spyderco Forum Registered User

The designer's purpose for the Captain design

I too have a lot of admiration for the C-111 Captain model designed by Jason Breeden. I've yet to get one of his RESCUE models to go with my Captain but it's on my want list close to the top. I would love to pick Mr. Breeden's brain just to see what he had in mind with his own cutlery needs to propel him to design and make this most non-convention and unusual but beautiful blade.

After learning of a company that for a fee will put Spyderco type serrations on a blade I'm very tempted to have the inner arch part of my Captain serrated while leaving the ball/pendulum end plain edged, razor sharp to have the best of both worlds. This is another model along with the Superhawk that really baffles me as to why Spyderco never offered this great model in Spyderedge. Because the original Captain that I seen a picture of was indeed serrated in the inner arch part of the blade.

That way you have the super aggressive cutting power of a serrated Hawkbill and you also have the razor sharp, pendulum end for many cutting jobs. But again I would like to know what Mr. Breeden had in mind for this great blade.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User DRKBC's Avatar
    Congratulations, I really like that model and am sorry I missed it. Great photos and nice job on the write up!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Congrats, nice score! I'm a fan of Breeden's Rescue design, but haven't gotten to hold either yet.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Congrats. I adore mine! I stared at it in the catalogs for a long time when it was still in production and was easily able to get one. It's something I'm not going to get rid of.

I'm waiting on sprints in any variation.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    Lucky!

That one is on my grail list too. Haven't come across the right deal yet, but someday...

Enjoy it!
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Sharpening The Captain is truly an Education in the skill

One sidebar to the Captain model which is why I'll never get rid of my User Captain model>> it is truly one of the most challenging models to sharpen properly that I've ever owned. I do everything on mine freehanded for the most part and it is a great knife to really hone your sharpening skills. I truly believe that if you master sharpening and maintaining a Captain model you can sharpening just about any blade proficiently.

I do hope that if they ever do another run of the Captain that they will also offer them up with Serrations in the inner arch section of the blade.

I did skin a deer with one some time back and it worked well for that job but I'm still wondering what all Mr. Breeden had in mind when designing this most unusual blade?
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Going back through the archives, a fellow member here did a much better review than my initial attempt at it.

Older Review Thread

smcfalls13 still checks in often, perhaps he can shed some light on the long term quality and how is uses have changed since his review in 2006. I hope he still has it and can share new user pics.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ned's Avatar
    Congratulations, very interesting thread. I'll have to admit that this is a knife with which I have absolutely no experience or familiarity. Thanks for all the information.
    C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Kudos Landon! The Captain was one I had to let go during a financial time of struggle and the only sale I regret.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    Kudos Landon! The Captain was one I had to let go during a financial time of struggle and the only sale I regret.
    Congrats on your 10K post milemarker!
    My 's:

*Landon*

I saw a mildly beat-up one for $100 awhile back. I should've pounced then. Not long after I saw one for $200 and $295. Nice score my friend! I love that grind. Breeden has made some rad designs.

Good snag exceptnl! The Captain is one of my favorite collaborations Spyderco has done, and definitely the most unique, in my opinion. It's blade shape is surprisingly useful as well!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    Congrats on your 10K post milemarker!
    Ha! Thanks

You can be there too! Crank up the frequency and crank down the content
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User bearfacedkiller's Avatar
    I have always found this knife interesting because I just don't understand it. Truly unique. I always figured that you would have to put it to use to get it.
    -Darby

Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    Ha! Thanks

You can be there too! Crank up the frequency and crank down the content
    LOL, I though I was already doing that.
    My 's:

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User GoldenSpydie's Avatar
    Congrats! It is always great to achieve one of your grails!

Quote Originally Posted by bearfacedkiller View Post
    I have always found this knife interesting because I just don't understand it. Truly unique. I always figured that you would have to put it to use to get it.
    From what I have read about Jason Breeden's comments on the design I can summarize it like this. Imagine a compact outdoor oriented folding knife that can serve well for heavy draw / pull cuts (hawkbill), yet still have a durable and robust tip (for prying possibly). The bonus is that between the two, you end up with a small belly that can be used for skinning as well as any number of chores where belly serves best. After carrying it for 24 hours and using it lightly I can say it would be even more awesome for me if it was 25% to 30% larger.
    My 's:

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Wow, heck of a snag there xceptnl!! That one always really intrigued me as well, post som emote pics when you get a chance... Really liking the custom scales on your Lil Matriarch there as well, it makes it look very classy. Cheers, Radioactive
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King