Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groomsmen gift ideas

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar

Groomsmen gift ideas

Time has come to get some groomsmen's gifts and I'm tired of seeing the same recommendations for a personalized money clip/cuff links/etc. To make matters worse, just went to one of my groomsmans weddings where he got everyone Kershaws.

Anyone have any unique ideas or favorite gifts you've received?
    Last edited by Clip; 06-10-2014 at 06:15 AM.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Congrats on your wedding.
    What is your budget for the gift?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Thanks! Looking at about 6 gifts, hopefully around $40-50.

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User Johnnie1801's Avatar
    How about a bottle of malt scotch each? You can think about the character traits of each of your friends and buy a whisky that matches. When you give them the gifts, you can tell them your reasons for picking the particular bottle and hopefully have a few laughs.
    Jon

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I am on this same problem! Getting married next year and thinking hard about this.

My brother, when he got married, gave all the groomsman a gray UKPK with your initials engraved in the blade. Great knife and idea, I cherish that knife.

I have been pretty dead set on give a Spyderco knife to my groomsman as well. I was thinking about getting a small-ish knife, about the size of the ambitious, and making wood scales for them to replace the g10. I would also like to get one made in USA if I can choose one that allows me to keep the price down (Dragonfly?).
    My collection:
    Ladybug2, Rescue 79mm, Salt1 edge, Meerkat Droppoint, Mariner, Kiwi jigbone, Kopa Blackquince, UK pk PE, Embassy PE, Schempp Tuff, Vallotton Sub-Hilt, Schempp Rock, Manix 2 XL, Tenacious, Byrd Finch, Techno, Puukko, Cricket SS PE, Military Digi-Camo, Tasman Salt, Delica Foliage Green, Breeden Rescue, Lionspy, Bushcraft, Kiwi3, Paramilitary2, Lum Tanto, Kopa MOP/Abalone, Southard, Endura Damascus Sprint, Meerkat Burgandy Sprint.

Spydernation #1990

How about a Leatherman multi tool? They seem like they would be handy to have!

The gift needs to be something that will last forever and always have special significance to its owner. A knife is one of the best gifts but try to give a nice one that's not Chinese made and has a decent steel. I would suggest the best Spyderco that fits your budget or a Case 087 pen, 087 jack or 087 stockman.
    Last edited by RanCoWeAla; 06-10-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User ASmitty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd View Post
    I have been pretty dead set on give a Spyderco knife to my groomsman as well. I was thinking about getting a small-ish knife, about the size of the ambitious, and making wood scales for them to replace the g10. I would also like to get one made in USA if I can choose one that allows me to keep the price down (Dragonfly?).
    I gave Case mini Trappers or Victorinox Climbers to my groomsmen and ushers. The Case knives were for my friends and the Vics went to my brothers-in-law.

The Dragonfly is made in Seki, Japan not the US. Unfortunately, I can't think of a current US produced model in the size that you're talking about. If I were going to undertake the kind of project you're talking about, I'd choose the Cat (or even Chicago if you wanted something a little smaller) as the model to use. Although it's not made in the US, st's a great little knife. It's construction would allow for custom scales more easily than some other Spydercos and the price would be fairly optimal. A Squeak might make a nice choice if you wanted to go with a slipjoint instead, but I'm not sure how complicated it would be to make scales that would work with the backspring. I've never had a Squeak apart.
    "A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I was planning on Dflys until I received a knife two weeks ago. Most of the guys in that wedding are also in mine so my idea got hosed.

However, I took some drawings to the water jet shop at lunch, they should have parts to me by Friday so I can put them together. Pictures to follow!

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I've only been a groomsman three times, I got: A mug with a metal plate on the side with my name engraved, A flask with a metal plate on the side with my name engraved, and I can't even remember the third item.

The person who got me the flask had a lightly stocked bar at the reception. Most people, including me, used it for that.

I wouldn't spend too much money on the item. Even if it is something remarkable, it will probably get tossed in a drawer.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    Try Goggling "corporate awards" there are many companies that sell personalized award items for business use that will be able to help you out. There is likely one in your town, often they are known for screen printing and embroidering shirts, hats and other items.

Spyderco clipitool with initials?
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    I like the idea of the Clipitool with initials. Here's another thought: What about getting Manbugs for your groomsmen? You can go with standard VG-10 for around $45-ish each. Your best man could get the ZDP-189 version.

P.S. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

My dad gave me an engraved SS Dfly for a birthday and it is great

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Congratulations Chris. I will ponder your problem and get back to you. Feeling a bit under the weather, but enjoyed the pics from Alaska earlier today~
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jax's Avatar
    My first thought was a zippo lighter.
    If it was me I would be pleased with a zippo,a knife,or a flashlight.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blue Possum's Avatar
    I had friend who after the wedding took the groomsmen out for paintball war, then back their house (wife made plans to be gone) afterwords for Steak on grill and beer. Just meant being a groomsmen was more about the friendship and time together, then to give a one of usually physical gift.
    Blue Possum

Spyderco Forum Registered User Bradley's Avatar
    "Old Familiar comb company" makes some cool metal combs with bottle openers, and you can get them customized.
    Last edited by Bradley; 06-11-2014 at 08:57 PM. Reason: typo
    New:
    Dodo
    Smallfly
    Para 2
    S110V Mule

Soon:
    S90V CF Yo 2

As promised, pics of what I came up with! Made 14 of these things, oak and 304 stainless:

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User Buendia518's Avatar
    Personalized brands, huh. I thought you didn't want the same old thing?
    That's a very cool idea, are you going to have a torch handy?

Spyderco Forum Registered User jmh58's Avatar
    Hey Chris.. Best wishes!! And Congrats too!! John
    A great rabbit chase ends with a.. BANG!!!

Never too old to relive your youth!!

Life is to short to carry a cheap knife!!!