Thread: Sandals: Any good recommendations?

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar

Sandals: Any good recommendations?

When it comes to outdoor sandals, beyond flip-flops, for serious walking, hiking, working, and various outdoor activities, are there any notable brands and types you suggest? I know Teva are good, as are Birkenstocks. And ofcourse it depends on one's price-range/budget, as well.

What do you all think of Crocs (Both the actual brand name Crocs and the Croc-like shoes people wear)? I remember finding websites full of Pro Croc fans and websites full of Anti-Croc people. One of the criticisms of Crocs was that some were getting stuck and others were getting slippery on certain surfaces after the treading wore down. I have a pair and they seem to be good, but, not in winter and not on slick surfaces.

Spyderco Forum Registered User timlara's Avatar
    I wear nothing but Keen these days. Quality construction and their footbeds just fit my feet perfectly. Also nice that you can get them with steel toe protection if you want it. I actually like the style too, but I'm sure not everybody does.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/

(I always buy mine from Zappos.)

Spyderco Forum Registered User WireEdge Roger's Avatar
    Yeah, Keen sandals and Keen shoes for me.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blue Possum's Avatar
    I was Anti-Crocs at 1st. Didn't care for how they looked, and heard some stories that kept me away. Someone gifted some to my daughter, and she would not want to get ride of them. I let her wear them a little bite, and finally she out grow them. I agreed to buy another pair, and at same time I look for a pair for my self, more to wear as sleeper for getting the newspaper, mail, going out on the deck and grilling. I got the sandal crocks those are not so clunky looking, and I actual grow like them. Now they can get slippery on wet surface, i discovered that coming in from getting the paper in rain and once I hit the garage floor almost fell flat on my @##. But that was because of the bottom of the soles, it would happen to other maker of shoes too with that kind of sole, not only because it was a crock.

For more active sandal I have had TEVA and they good, not cheap. I am not big into sandals, so I like with back strap that goes around the ankle, and I like that strap to be a snap then Velcro. I have had NIKE, and I liked that the best, but the sole feel apart from the rest of the shoe, before the sole wore out. There is the NiKE AIR Deschutz.
    Blue Possum

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    I've been wearing Chakas for years and love them. Leather thongs are my every day and wear. Strap model for anything more aggressive.

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Possum View Post
    I was Anti-Crocs at 1st. Didn't care for how they looked, and heard some stories that kept me away. Someone gifted some to my daughter, and she would not want to get ride of them. I let her wear them a little bite, and finally she out grow them. I agreed to buy another pair, and at same time I look for a pair for my self, more to wear as sleeper for getting the newspaper, mail, going out on the deck and grilling. I got the sandal crocks those are not so clunky looking, and I actual grow like them. Now they can get slippery on wet surface, i discovered that coming in from getting the paper in rain and once I hit the garage floor almost fell flat on my @##. But that was because of the bottom of the soles, it would happen to other maker of shoes too with that kind of sole, not only because it was a crock.

For more active sandal I have had TEVA and they good, not cheap. I am not big into sandals, so I like with back strap that goes around the ankle, and I like that strap to be a snap then Velcro. I have had NIKE, and I liked that the best, but the sole feel apart from the rest of the shoe, before the sole wore out. There is the NiKE AIR Deschutz.
    They are very popular, but I always think of this picture whenever I see Crocks:

Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    Keens are the way to go, IMHO. I just purchased a new pair of Keen Owyhee sandals and wore them nearly every day last week while on vacation. Very comfy and durable. Also, I was impressed with the arch support of these sandals. I'd highly recommend them to anyone looking for something more durable than flip flops or similar. I also considered the Teva Hurricane Pro but ended up with the Keen's due to the benefit of the enclosed toe box.
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Spyderco Forum Registered User paladin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinetreebbs View Post
    They are very popular, but I always think of this picture whenever I see Crocks:

lol...now I will have this image burned into my retinas now

I had a kid step on an ordinary piece of baling wire in his Crocs, punctured the "sandal", then punctured his sole...after ER visit & tetanus shot--Crocs in garbage...YMMV
    Have Kiwi, will travel...wire Paladin...Hotel Carlton, San Francisco

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    lol...now I will have this image burned into my retinas now

I had a kid step on an ordinary piece of baling wire in his Crocs, punctured the "sandal", then punctured his sole...after ER visit & tetanus shot--Crocs in garbage...YMMV
    Wow, I hope he is good to go now.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Spyderco Forum Registered User paladin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinetreebbs View Post
    Wow, I hope he is good to go now.
    Yup, no worries...just a childhood injury...thanks for asking!
    Have Kiwi, will travel...wire Paladin...Hotel Carlton, San Francisco

Spyderco Forum Registered User ginsuwarrior's Avatar
    Chaco's ALL the way. I've put them through some serious abuse.

Ignore the turtle.

Last edited by ginsuwarrior; 06-10-2014 at 04:11 PM.
    Military // PM 2 // Endura // Delica // Stretch // SE Tasman // SE Hawkbill Ladybug