Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco 2015 Calendar Contest!

Spyderco 2015 Calendar Contest!

The Contest

Enter the Fourth Annual 2015 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest today! We are again making a 12-month wall calendar using images created by you, our forum members. A total of 13 images will be chosen - one image to represent every month and one grand prize ‘Best of the Best’ winner to be used as the calendar’s cover image.

Submit your extraordinary photographs, drawings, paintings, water colors, digital creations, you name it. If it can be printed, it’s fair game.

The Prizes:
    The grand prize winner will receive a Spyderco Southard Folder Black Blade C156GPBBK and have their photo featured on the cover of the calendar.

Artists who have their images chosen to represent a specific calendar month (a total of 12) will each receive a C123CFBAP New Sage3 Bolt Action Carbon Fiber.

Contest starts 0900MDT June 2, 2014 and ends 1600MDT August 1, 2014. Winners will be selected by Spyderco over a two week period following the contest and should be posted on the forum on August 29, 2014.

Please read all of the submission requirements before posting.

Submission Requirements:

1) Please include a 2-5 sentence (max) description of your image - why you chose the product(s) featured, the history of the image, etc.; something to give us a better understanding of your submission.

2) Image must include a Spyderco product(s) or logo. Any product Spyderco has ever made is fair game. Product can be in mint condition, used and abused, or radically modified. Your submission can be seasonal, retro, traditional, artistic, black and white, color, sepia, comedic or serious. Set your imagination loose, we want to see it all.

3) You must include the model name of the product(s) used in the image and your Forum name. Model name and Forum name do not necessarily need to be a part of the image, but it must be included with your submission. Please place them both immediately under your image description so we can keep all information with the correct image submission.

4) Only ONE image submission per person. You are permitted to modify your submission after posting. If you decide to modify your entry, you must fully delete your original submission and re-submit the new image before the contest deadline. Having multiple photo submissions at the end date of the contest will invalidate all of your submissions.

FORMATTING: (IMPORTANT) The Spyderco 2015 Calendar will be printed in an 8 ½” by 11” landscape format. Only landscape formatted images will be considered and significant cropping/resizing may occur to winning images. Sorry, all portrait formatted images will be disqualified.

Final Printed Image Guidelines (ABSOLUTE MINIMUM – Images should be no smaller than this):
    Width: 3450 px
    Height: 2700 px
    Resolution: 300
    (This translates to 11.5” x 9” to account for a ¼ inch bleed)
    Image must be available in high resolution at 300dpi at end of contest.

Image Preview (for posting on the forum)
    Width: 960px;
    Resolution: 72;

Submitting Your Image: In order to be considered, post your image to this thread. It is not necessary or recommended that you post a 300dpi image to our Forums. Keeping up with web standards, a 72dpi image preview that does not exceed 960px in width for the forum will be just fine.

IMPORTANT: New this year: As we announce the winners, will also announce how to submit your hi-res image. We are unable to use the image posted to the forum for printing-quality reasons. If you cannot supply the image at the end of the contest, your winning submission will be forfeited.

*You must keep the high resolution copy of your image saved locally until the winners have been announced in order to qualify should something happen.

Content Restrictions:
    The submission must not contain any copyrighted material (unless you own the copyright); your submission must be entirely original and created by you. Images may not contain any kind of promotional material - this includes trademarks and logos for non Spyderco businesses, even those for your own personal endeavors. Only family friendly, G-rated and tasteful submissions will be considered. If it’s salacious, offensive or anything the Disney Channel would reject, so will we.

NOTE: If you upload an image that we feel might violate our content restrictions, we will do our best to contact you and let you know that your image might be disqualified prior to the end of the contest.

Eligibility:
    The 2015 Spyderco Calendar Contest is open to everyone. If the artist is under the age of 13, the artwork must be submitted by their legal guardian. Prizes will be shipped only to adults over 18 or to those who provide written parental consent. Employees, relatives of employees of Spyderco, its partner companies and manufacturers are not eligible to enter or win. This contest is subject to all laws and void where prohibited.

Winning images become exclusive property of Spyderco Inc. By posting your photo in this thread, user grants unencumbered, free usage and printing use solely to Spyderco Inc.

Contest ends Friday, August 1, 2014 (1600MDT).

**Calendars will be available for purchase this autumn through the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store
    There is nothing more important than this one day.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    Aside from Mr. Blondes Amsterdam thread, this is my 2nd favourite thread of the year! Very exciting, good luck to all that enter. Thanks Kristi and crew for putting this on again!
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!! X 2, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Manix 2 Cruwear, Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 2
    Grail: A.T.R.

Spyderco Forum Registered User MacLaren's Avatar
    That's VERY generous of Spyderco. You all are pretty darn awesome.
    Vallotton, Caly3.5,Manix 2 XL (gifted to bro),Military Camo/DLC,Domino Blue,Manix 2 XL CF S90v, Manix 2 S110V, Mule Team#19 K390,Manix 2 XL DLC,Rock Lobster
    SpyderNation #31

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Looking forward to trying my hand this year. Thanks for the opportunity.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Good luck everyone! Looking forward to the entries!
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    It's on

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Can't wait to see what you guys bring to the ring this year!

Let's see 'em!!

Cant wait...
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    I look forward to this every year. Hopefully third times the harm for me
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User rescueseven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    I look forward to this every year. Hopefully third times the harm for me
    Do you plan on getting hurt?
    "We've been working on this design for 10 years, unsuccessfully." -Sal
    WTC #1398 Bless their souls
    C07P C10FPGYE C10JBOP C10PGRBBW C10PSGRWBK C10PSTA C36CF90VP C36FGD2P C41GP5 C41BBK C41PPR C63GP3 C64JPBK C70BKS C71TNPS C75P3 C79PSBK C81GSBK C82BK C82PSBK2 C86P C94GP C95GP C95GP2 C98P C101GPS C101G2 C101PDBL2 C109SLP C115CFP C122GPS C122GS C136GP K04PBK K04SBK K08BK MT01P MT02P MT03P MT05P MT08P MT10P T01PS WTC

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuckd's Avatar
    Very excited about this. Was able to get some shots today but will have to make a much more concerted effort, no messing around! Although, my Navaja showed up in the mail as I was walking out the door on a hike, so it of course needed some snapshots.
    My collection:
    Ladybug2, Rescue 79mm, Salt1 edge, Meerkat Droppoint, Mariner, Kiwi jigbone, Kopa Blackquince, UK pk PE, Embassy PE, Schempp Tuff, Vallotton Sub-Hilt, Schempp Rock, Manix 2 XL, Tenacious, Byrd Finch, Techno, Puukko, Cricket SS PE, Military Digi-Camo, Tasman Salt, Delica Foliage Green, Breeden Rescue, Lionspy, Bushcraft, Kiwi3, Paramilitary2, Lum Tanto, Kopa MOP/Abalone, Southard, Endura Damascus Sprint, Meerkat Burgandy Sprint.

Spydernation #1990

Spyderco Forum Registered User Bladewacked's Avatar
    Let the games begin......good luck everyone!

Spyderco Forum Registered User GoldenSpydie's Avatar
    Ok, at long last, I have decided on a final entry.

For this contest, I chose my Paramilitary 2. It served as my EDC for a 50 mile backpacking trip to Gannett Peak in the Wind Rivers of Wyoming. As long as I had the PM2 with me, I knew that I could easily complete any cutting task at hand. For example: thanks to the Spyderhole, I was able to effortlessly open and use the knife to cut paracord to build a rain shelter, even with cold, wet hands.

In my picture, the Paramilitary 2 is resting on some flood debris at the Downs Fork Bridge, on the Glacier Trail. I used a long exposure to blur the river and make the knife stand out against the background.

Forum Name: GoldenSpydie
    Model: C81GPCMO2

Thanks for the chance, and good luck to everyone!
    Last edited by GoldenSpydie; 07-27-2014 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TazKristi View Post
    The Contest
    4) Only ONE image submission per person. You are permitted to modify your submission after posting. If you decide to modify your entry, you must fully delete your original submission and re-submit the new image before the contest deadline. Having multiple photo submissions at the end date of the contest will invalidate all of your submissions.
    Could this "modification" be up to and including a total change to a new photograph? Or is the intent to stay with modifications of the original entry only? For example someone might make a submission then later happen upon a dazzling new idea or situation but be stuck with the original submission.
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    I believe you can change your picture completely at any time. But when the contest ends, you can only have one entry up.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuckd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbelleh View Post
    I believe you can change your picture completely at any time. But when the contest ends, you can only have one entry up.
    I believe you are correct sir!

The real question is, who is going to break the ice and post the first entry?
    My collection:
    Ladybug2, Rescue 79mm, Salt1 edge, Meerkat Droppoint, Mariner, Kiwi jigbone, Kopa Blackquince, UK pk PE, Embassy PE, Schempp Tuff, Vallotton Sub-Hilt, Schempp Rock, Manix 2 XL, Tenacious, Byrd Finch, Techno, Puukko, Cricket SS PE, Military Digi-Camo, Tasman Salt, Delica Foliage Green, Breeden Rescue, Lionspy, Bushcraft, Kiwi3, Paramilitary2, Lum Tanto, Kopa MOP/Abalone, Southard, Endura Damascus Sprint, Meerkat Burgandy Sprint.

Spydernation #1990

I would but picture from my s4 aren't in league with slr...
    Owned : Broken tip ZDP-189 Endura, Mule Team 18, Mr Itou R2 180mm Gyoto, Super Blue Stretch, Super Blue Ladybug
    In the wish list model list: Southard, *Yuna Qi 4.1 in K390*, ZDP-189 Ladybug, Chaparral, any AEB-L Sal would make into a folder!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd View Post
    I believe you are correct sir!

The real question is, who is going to break the ice and post the first entry?

I guess I can do that

Forum Name: Invective
    Description:
    Okay, so I went with the theme of "Then and Now". Mainly because I realized I had some good contrast with the Gin1 Worker and the Fold-A-Vee, and the CPM-154/S90V PM2 and the Sharpmaker. The advances and CQI on the products Spyderco sells now are amazing, and yet the products they sold back in the 90s and 80s still work just as well and can give the current products a run for their money. I chose the Worker as it is the oldest Spyderco I own, and the iconic Spydie, and the CPM 154/S90V PM2 because it is one of the most technologically advanced, what with the clad steel.

Model Names
    Spyderco Worker C01S
    Spyderco Paramilitary2 CPM 154/S90V C81CFPE2
    Spyderco Fold-A-Vee 105M
    Spyderco Sharpmaker 204MF

I might change it up, I wasn't able to make an actual whitebox so its just printer paper in the background and you can see the crease/line so I want to remove that, but if I don't get to doing that I'm fine with this image.

Hope to see other people post pictures now too!
    Last edited by Invective; 07-21-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Nice idea, Invective.
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!

I think I'm going to have to dust off the old camera. Maybe an old photo i have if it's up to spec. I don't know if it's high res enough and i can't recreate it. But the contrast is beautiful. Good luck fellow competitors.