Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Survival Sharpening: Sharpening tools in a serious pinch??

Spyderco Forum Registered User Monocrom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo View Post
    Greetings Monocrom and thanks a lot for your input. Good advice because that's the conclusion I'm coming up with. That is if I can get out of Dodge with my sharpening equipment.

Now on this thread I was mainly wanting to know what I could use the sharpen knives without having the luxury of having premium sharpening tools at my side during a tragic survival situation. But if I did have my personal choice as to what types of sharpening tools I would select I'm leaning toward diamond tools for a lot of reasons.

But I'm still wondering what people can use during a survival situation where there are no sharpening tools handy. So far I've got some pretty interesting answers. It seems like ceramic hardware of many types is the popular choice of many people.

Again I'm wondering about what type of rocks and minerals that there are in the area you'll be living in at that time. Find out what rocks and minerals rank high on the Moh's Hardness Scale and try and use those for sharpening.

I do remember Cody Lundin on one of his shows using a slurry of sand on a hard rock and he said it worked pretty well. I'm still hoping for good information on this subject. Because with knives being one of your most important tools it just makes sense that you must know what to do to get them sharp in pinch.
    Main reason why you won't find anything with an exotic blade steel in my BOB. The larger version of the Gerber LST being a good example. (Simple steel that can be resharpened on pretty much any coarse rock with one flat surface.) I love my Spydercos, but I'm not even going to attempt to improvise-sharpen something like a Manix model.
    "The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

-John Cleese-

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I think that the best thing to do is to find a bunch of flat rocks and see how they work on a cheaper knives that you aren't afraid to scratch up...
    On the hunt for...

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBySnooSnoo View Post
    I think that the best thing to do is to find a bunch of flat rocks and see how they work on a cheaper knives that you aren't afraid to scratch up...
    Well if the situation is going to be tragic enough to where I have to get out of town with just my bug out bag the last thing I'll be worried about is whether or not I scratch any of my Spyderco blades or any other prized blade for that matter. Because if it ever does get that bad I'll be more worried about waking up alive each morning rather than my knife collection looking pristine.

I agree with the rocks for sharpening. I wish I was more of a rock hound that what I am. I used to be a rock hound when I was kid in my early teenage years but I've forgot about a lot of what I once knew in that field. But how each rock ranks on the Moh's Hardness Scale will play an important role as to whether or not it will have enough abrasive properties to abrade some of these modern blade steels.

Again making water potable/drinkable and the ability to start fire by primitive means will both be at the top of my list. And maybe some of your suggestions like going back to older knives with steel that is more easy to abrade may also be part of the solution. I have several older fixed blades and a few older folders. I'm sure that putting some modern sharpening equipment in my survival kit will be the ticket ultimately. I hope to GOD none of this scenerio ever plays out in our lifetimes because our generation is not nearly as tough as the World War II generation was.

But I can see many scenerios that would put any of us in a survival situation lasting at least 2 to 3 weeks or more. Just 10 years ago we had an ice storm here in the Kansas City area which literally shut down the entire metro area to a large degree. Had I not had a fireplace with a heat-a-later on it my home would have been extremely hard to live in. We even had FEMA come to our town and had to assist many people. There have been far more weather anomalies than we've had in the past. It hasn't even been 10 years since hurricane Katrina left it's devastation on the people of New Orleans, Louisiana USA.

We need to be ready for such tragedies and knives could play a key role in how well you can survive them.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Well if the situation is going to be tragic enough to where I have to get out of town with just my bug out bag the last thing I'll be worried about is whether or not I scratch any of my Spyderco blades or any other prized blade for that matter.\
    Not gonna lie...even if the world is in mass chaos, and I'm in the woods building a fire to make food to feed my family, there's still gonna be a little thought in the back of my mind "damn look at my ______ blade all scratched up...damned apocalypse" lol

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    Not gonna lie...even if the world is in mass chaos, and I'm in the woods building a fire to make food to feed my family, there's still gonna be a little thought in the back of my mind "damn look at my ______ blade all scratched up...damned apocalypse" lol
    Well "EVIL D" I would sort of be a hypocrite if I said I wouldn't be at all concerned or it wouldn't bother me at all if I marred up or destroyed one of my prized Spyders>> So I sort of know what you mean. Hey it wouldn't be the only time in world history that people in a society who led decent lives all of a sudden had to live like they did in the stoneage. Basically we are only one severe tragedy away from total chaos. Try and remember just how shook up the American people were when 9-11 took place. That was just 2 buildings in one city and it had the entire country in a panic.

And GOD forbid if even one American City were to be totally destroyed it would probably crash most of our markets and put us in a state of martial law and political upheaval. Right now under our fiat currency ( completely fake money) and the purchasing power of our dollar diminishing on a daily basis it would only take a huge financial crisis or an earthquake similar to the New Madrid Quake of the 1800s to really throw this country into mass confusion and thus a societal breakdown.

I hope to GOD none of us ever live to see it but in reality the stage is set for something of that ilk to happen. I believe a person is a total fool who doesn't have some type of a gameplan to know what to do in the event of a national emergency. Katrina and 9-11 both showed us just how vulernable the people of this country are when it comes to enduring hardships. I heard from a well known geologist that the New Madrid fault could go again at any time. They have had seizmic activity in that region for some time now. I only live about 300 miles from there as the crow flies and I'm certain that it would wreak havoc on our area here in Kansas City, Missouri USA.

It is something to think about for sure and just at least knowing the basics of survival is just simply wise in my opinion. It's like the old saying goes "I Would Rather Have It And Not Need It Than To Need It And Not Have It". I'm not sure that this country could endure another World War or another Great Depression. Let's hope for the best and prepare for the worst just in case.

I would keep an older fixed blade in my Bob but I would also have something to sharpen with in it to, even if it was just a small file but something. No I wouldnt carry some Edge Pro or some massive thing but a file would be versatile enough to also sharpen an Axe and any folder I have on me. Maybe accompany it with a stone like the Double stuff and should be fine. Of course you would never find only one knife on me or in my Bob as I think it is important to have a few and at least one fixed blade.
    Regarding the weather, it does seem like it is changing. We had more than three feet of snow above our norm this year then it stayed cold and raining for a long time and just re c entry seems like it is warming up day and at night. It had been getting down to the 40's at night just recently but last night it was quite warm. It pays to keep a few extras around the house, food water and other supplies.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    LOL, the apocalypse will be the death of the mirror polished edge. Not that we wouldn't have the tools, but the time.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Quote Originally Posted by sir_mike View Post
    I would keep an older fixed blade in my Bob but I would also have something to sharpen with in it to, even if it was just a small file but something. No I wouldnt carry some Edge Pro or some massive thing but a file would be versatile enough to also sharpen an Axe and any folder I have on me. Maybe accompany it with a stone like the Double stuff and should be fine. Of course you would never find only one knife on me or in my Bob as I think it is important to have a few and at least one fixed blade.
    Regarding the weather, it does seem like it is changing. We had more than three feet of snow above our norm this year then it stayed cold and raining for a long time and just re c entry seems like it is warming up day and at night. It had been getting down to the 40's at night just recently but last night it was quite warm. It pays to keep a few extras around the house, food water and other supplies.
    I love your mode of thinking "Sir Mike" Just simply make allowances for sharpening equipment ahead of time. I've tried to do that myself and in a way I hope this thread gets other people thinking along those lines. Because a knife is close to absolutely useless if it isn't sharp. And I deem a "KNIFE" as a very vital tool even in my everyday life and in a crisis or survival situation I think a KNIFE along with about 4 other vital tools I could name would truly be the difference between like and death. Any of Spyderco's sharpening equipment would be good in that type of scenerio. Cleaning them might be a problem at times but it can be done. Also keeping a knife razor sharp and not letting it get totally dull in the first place is truly the key to always having one on hand and ready for use. Currently I have 8 knives in my survival kit>> 4 folders and 4 fixed blades. So my next mission is getting set up with extra sharpening gear. But hey it doesn't hurt to know what "Mother Nature" might have for the job or any tools or items around the house or on the farm that can also provide you with a sharp edge. I do believe that edged tools are truly necessary in survival.

I love your mode of thinking "Sir Mike" Just simply make allowances for sharpening equipment ahead of time. I've tried to do that myself and in a way I hope this thread gets other people thinking along those lines. Because a knife is close to absolutely useless if it isn't sharp. And I deem a "KNIFE" as a very vital tool even in my everyday life and in a crisis or survival situation I think a KNIFE along with about 4 other vital tools I could name would truly be the difference between like and death. Any of Spyderco's sharpening equipment would be good in that type of scenerio. Cleaning them might be a problem at times but it can be done. Also keeping a knife razor sharp and not letting it get totally dull in the first place is truly the key to always having one on hand and ready for use. Currently I have 8 knives in my survival kit>> 4 folders and 4 fixed blades. So my next mission is getting set up with extra sharpening gear. But hey it doesn't hurt to know what "Mother Nature" might have for the job or any tools or items around the house or on the farm that can also provide you with a sharp edge. I do believe that edged tools are truly necessary in survival.
    I agree and think that as long as you have water around you can clean any stone, maybe pack an old touch brush just for scrubbing the stone as it doesn't add any weight to the Bob. I have a hard time thinking that a nice is a useful tool if the person doesn't have some way to maintain them. I too agree with seeing what you an find when out and about but you shouldn't rely on that as your only means unless you didn't have a choice and had to leave because of a SHTF deal and you don't have a Bob or couldn't get to it.
    It
    Pack a few knifes and MT's as they can be priceless! I carry one blade usually around town but if I go anyway besides in town, I would have at least one more or a MT.

Question Abrasive Cloths/Papers?

I've now seen 2 Survival type TV shows where the host shows how to use a "sand-slurry" on a flat rock as a survival sharpening device. It's kind of ironic in a way because the first time I seen it was with Bear Grylls of all people

I just wondered if any of you all have ever used a method like this before? I'm now coming to the conclusion that the sharpening gear is just as important as the knife itself in a survival situation.

Also there are several different types of sandpaper, Emery Cloth, silicon carbide paper, crocus cloth>> what types of abrasive cloth/paper have any of you used for sharpening. I've used sandpaper in a pinch on a couple of occassions for really beat up blades with some success and now I'm kind wanting to learn more in that area. I think it could be a good way to go if there is nothing else around to use >> so what have you all used and why in abrasive cloths/papers?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    LOL, the apocalypse will be the death of the mirror polished edge. Not that we wouldn't have the tools, but the time.
    Sorry family, no time to forage for food today, gotta polish the bevel on this knife and my creek rock doesn't cut very fast.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

I'm wondering if you couldn't take 2 small flat rocks and set up some type of "V" configuration and simply drag the blade through?

Or you could rig up 2 tool handles wrapped with some type of sandpaper and then place that setup in a "V" configuration the same way?

You would have to get some type of rock/mineral that is indigenous to that area where you are staying in to use as a makeshift sharpening stones. If you would be lucky enough to find a rock/mineral extremely hard with abrasive properties like "red granite" for instance and keep one sample of it only for a sharpening stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Main reason why you won't find anything with an exotic blade steel in my BOB. The larger version of the Gerber LST being a good example. (Simple steel that can be resharpened on pretty much any coarse rock with one flat surface.) I love my Spydercos, but I'm not even going to attempt to improvise-sharpen something like a Manix model.
    Exactly.. I carry Mora's ( 546 and Robust) in my hiking pack and a Opinel #7 in my pocket. I can generally bring the edge back on all three of these knives just by stropping on my jeans for a few seconds.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Johnnie1801's Avatar
    I spotted this from Fallkniven last week, I guess it might be new. In the event that you can't reach a BOB, you wil be limited to what you have in your pocket. I think this automatic flipstone could be the answer. Small and light enough to fit in a spare pocket, one side is diamond (25 micron) and the other ceramic (1 micron).

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie1801 View Post
    I spotted this from Fallkniven last week, I guess it might be new. In the event that you can't reach a BOB, you wil be limited to what you have in your pocket. I think this automatic flipstone could be the answer. Small and light enough to fit in a spare pocket, one side is diamond (25 micron) and the other ceramic (1 micron).
    That's interesting Johnnie1801 because I've been hearing more and more good things about the sharpening tools that Fallkniven has been marketing. I like the idea of diamond on one side and high grade ceramic on the other. I've yet to get any of their sharpening equipment but I'm definitely going to check it out.

I'm wondering if there are companies out there that sell survival goods and would also have sharpening gear in their line up? Or maybe some type of tools that would facilitate sharpening?

I've been watching "Dual Survival" on the Discovery Channel with the new partner that they got for Joe Teti. In these recent episodes I'm seeing them use blades much more than before which I find interesting. Not to mention using that one big blade to take out a wild hog in that one episode.

So you know that the experts put a lot of importance on knives and edged tools for survival. I'm not at all overlooking axes and hatchets either. I use my heavy duty Gurkha Kukri for all kinds of cutting chores whenever I'm out in the timber. That's a tool I wouldn't be without and would very much want to keep it sharp at all times.

Sharp knives are useful knives and the same goes with any edged tool for that matter. And you don't want to lose sight of that especially in a tragedy or survival situation.

Spyderco Forum Registered User shunsui's Avatar

Small Tools may be the key

Quote Originally Posted by shunsui View Post
    That makes for an interesting game plan>> in that you could have a little packet with several of those "key ring" type sharpeners. There is only one drawback I see to it however>> most of the key ring type sharpeners I've seen or used don't seem to be very durable to me. They could give out on you in a pinch.

I mean it's not all together a bad idea either because it could be a good measure for short term emergencies. I think if you would take it a step about that and have a bunch of sharpening tools in the size/scale of let's say the "DOUBLESTUFF" stone. Something of that size wouldn't require a lot of space in your bug out bag and a collection of tools that size wouldn't bankrupt hardly anyone.

I'm going to do some checking and see what all is one the market in that size range. Thanks for the idea "shunsui"