Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is this new fangled "Stone Wash" finish on knives?

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmh58 View Post
    Landon.. That is SOOO KOOL!! Nice job!! John
    Thank you, it was a really satisfying modification. I would do it to more of my secondhand purchases that were well loved, but most of the others have been pinned const.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    You two with the acid stonewashed knives - now that looks good. It gives the knives what I call a manly look. Makes the steel more metaly - I don't know how to put it into words, but I love it. Is the acid easy to get? How do you dispose of it?
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User ourgon's Avatar
    I don't know how in USA or Canada, but in Poland iron (III) chloride is available in almost every chemical store for +18 person. I know that was iron chloride (~60 seconds), I know I can buy it myself, but job was done by friend in his shop.
    Street Bowie
    Street Beat
    Paramilitary 2
    Starmate 440V
    Police SS
    Endura IV FG
    ClipiTool

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    You two with the acid stonewashed knives - now that looks good. It gives the knives what I call a manly look. Makes the steel more metaly - I don't know how to put it into words, but I love it. Is the acid easy to get? How do you dispose of it?
    Ferric oxide is available at radio shack. I have done some clips with it as well as some opinels. I use it and pour it back in the bottle or highly dilute it and pour it down the drain with lots of water.
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got: Superblue D'fly

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Thank you both.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Jazz, I picked up two bottles at Radio Shack and have barely used the first bottle. I dedicated a BPA-free Nalgene bottle to my projects and I leave the used fluid there for future use. It may be called Ferric Chloride or PCB Etchant. You can use the same solution for multiple treatments, but it becomes less potent. This was a kershaw in the solution for 5 minutes.

My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Where else would you recommend if we don't have a Radio Shack? Our The Source store doesn't sell it (which used to be a Radio Shack).

The Kershaw looks very cool.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Where else would you recommend if we don't have a Radio Shack? Our The Source store doesn't sell it (which used to be a Radio Shack).

The Kershaw looks very cool.
    Thank you Jazz.

A little searching reveals that B&E Electronics in Calgary has the etchant in a few sizes.

http://www.be-electronics.com/Search...?Search=ferric
    My 's:

*Landon*

Wow, thanks Landon!
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Wow, thanks Landon!
    No problem, hope it helped!
    My 's:

*Landon*