Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this new fangled "Stone Wash" finish on knives?

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar

What is this new fangled "Stone Wash" finish on knives?

I remember bead blasted and sand blasted blades from years ago...but Cold Steel and others have started doing this "Stone Wash Finish". Can someone here please explain to me what this is? And honestly, with all due respect, it looks ugly to me. That is just my opinion of it.

I also remember parkerizing and phosphate coatings.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    In theory, it hides scratches, which is why some folks like it. I imagine others just think it looks "rugged". Downside is, anything that increases surface area increases the chance of corrosion. I don't care for it either, it always looks like the galvanized steel garbage pails of my youth. However, knife companies have to cater to a wide variety of tastes, some of which are bound to differ from yours, or mine.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Leon's Avatar
    I actually really like the stonewash finish..It does hide minor scratches quite well..
    A "well done" stone wash looks pretty sexy in my opinion..like the one on southard or techno

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I love stonewashed blades and Ti handles. They hide scratches, but also add an interesting pattern to the materials. Look at the Southard for example.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User paladin's Avatar
    Different strokes for sure...

A well-executed stonewash adds visual interest, IMHO...

It yields highlights which are subtle in the right lighting and adds a little bit of depth effect to the steel...

The Southard & Techno are good at hiding fingerprints, if you're that prissy about your blades...

It really is a form of engineered surface damage to a certain extent, without a lot of benefit functionally...

Still, I like it on some models...

I lol'd when I read Paul's "garbage can" comparison...I can see where you'd get that ...
    Have Kiwi, will travel...wire Paladin...Hotel Carlton, San Francisco

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jeremy_A_Neel's Avatar
    I like the new "blackwash" kershaw and zt knives, which have a dlc coating that's stonewashed a little. I think Direware did it first though.
    "If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law

Spyderco Forum Registered User v8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy_A_Neel View Post
    I like the new "blackwash" kershaw and zt knives, which have a dlc coating that's stonewashed a little. I think Direware did it first though.
    Im with ya on that. Saw a knife this weekend that had that blade finish and a battleship gray g10 scale, talk about pretty and would be camouflage against jeans well.
    V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    That blackwash finish is sexy. I especially like the scalloped Ti side.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User ourgon's Avatar
    Here is my Endura after acid stonewash made by friend. Blade is modified into shape of Endura 3. Pocket clip, screws and backlock is washed in olive oil after heating by me.

Street Bowie
    Street Beat
    Paramilitary 2
    Starmate 440V
    Police SS
    Endura IV FG
    ClipiTool

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jeremy_A_Neel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ourgon View Post
    Here is my Endura after acid stonewash made by friend. Blade is modified into shape of Endura 3. Pocket clip, screws and backlock is washed in olive oil after heating by me.

Man, I love the blade shape of the older Enduras! Great looking stonewash.
    "If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law

Administrator
    A bit of history... Bob Taylor and REKAT were the first (to my knowledge) to use the stonewash finish on production knives. Bob did a lot of very cool stuff back in the day. For a small company, REKAT was a very forward-thinking and trend-setting influence on the industry.

Stay safe,

Mike
    Michael Janich
    Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
    Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    That Endura has one of the best DIY stonewash finishes I've seen. Every Maybe I need to use a different medium when I tumble mine, I get a much larger scratch pattern than that.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User ourgon's Avatar
    Here is another knife with acid stonewash I have, but not Spyderco.

Street Bowie
    Street Beat
    Paramilitary 2
    Starmate 440V
    Police SS
    Endura IV FG
    ClipiTool

This was my DIY from over a year ago. This was a second hand purchase that was already a Franken-Spydie so I stripped it and went to work.
    Blade, lockbar, clip and even fastener (heads only) were ferric treated and stonewashed.

My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Johnnie1801's Avatar
    That's a great job on the Delica, were the frn scales dyed before you got it?
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie1801 View Post
    That's a great job on the Delica, were the frn scales dyed before you got it?
    Thank, those were from the original white run of Delicas.
    My 's:

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Stonewashed blades are unfinished blades, IMHO.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I don't mind the stone-washed finish.

It is better than the bead-blasted finish in my experience.

I am glad to see that most knife making companies have phased the bead-blasted finish out.
    My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by GCG199 View Post
    I don't mind the stone-washed finish.

It is better than the bead-blasted finish in my experience.

I am glad to see that most knife making companies have phased the bead-blasted finish out.
    Amen to this. I would prefer a mirror polish that would show every finger print / scratch to a flat bead-blast.
    My 's:

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User jmh58's Avatar
    Landon.. That is SOOO KOOL!! Nice job!! John
    A great rabbit chase ends with a.. BANG!!!

Never too old to relive your youth!!

Life is to short to carry a cheap knife!!!