Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Israeli Army Knives: VERY COOL!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    Or at least a bottle opener
    No joke! Priorities
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderEdgeForever View Post
    If you can perform calculus and algebra, then by default, you can perform addition and subtraction, because addition and subtraction are easier and simpler than calculus and algebra, and in order to get to calculus and algebra, you had to pass through addition and subtraction.
    Does that clarify it for you, SolidState?
    The only thing that has been clarified is that you expect ideal conditions and rely too much on derivative logic to determine what certain groups can and cannot do. For instance, by your logic, the chinese would have first come across the rifle because they first came across gun powder and the idea of using a cylinder with gunpowder to propel a projectile. They were not, people far away with far less access to KNO3 did it. Much of invention and subsequent innovation relies on serendipity. It is sadly not always a logical pathway.
    Also, being able to apply the rules of calculus does not mean that one's algebra or even arithmetic are strong. I see that every day at work.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SolidState View Post
    The only thing that has been clarified is that you expect ideal conditions and rely too much on derivative logic to determine what certain groups can and cannot do. For instance, by your logic, the chinese would have first come across the rifle because they first came across gun powder and the idea of using a cylinder with gunpowder to propel a projectile. They were not, people far away with far less access to KNO3 did it. Much of invention and subsequent innovation relies on serendipity. It is sadly not always a logical pathway.
    Also, being able to apply the rules of calculus does not mean that one's algebra or even arithmetic are strong. I see that every day at work.

The Chinese could have come up with rifles long before the Europeans did, if they were culturally prepared for it. Problem was, they weren't. I appreciate your angle on this.

Here is a question for you: Why did the South and Central American indians, who had big advances in metal working, stone construction, and other areas, not develop an iron/steel weapons base, like the Europeans and Asians did? They had plentiful obsidian and it can be argued that they had no external pressures (constant wars) like the people of Asia and Europe did, but, why do you think the Aztecs, Incas, Mayans, and others, did not produce forged and cast steel and iron swords, armor, spears, etc?

This has perplexed me for years.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jeremy_A_Neel's Avatar
    Here is a question for you: Why did the South and Central American indians, who had big advances in metal working, stone construction, and other areas, not develop an iron/steel weapons base, like the Europeans and Asians did? They had plentiful obsidian and it can be argued that they had no external pressures (constant wars) like the people of Asia and Europe did, but, why do you think the Aztecs, Incas, Mayans, and others, did not produce forged and cast steel and iron swords, armor, spears, etc?

The Mesoamericans weren't strangers to metallurgy. From what I've read, they've made tools out of copper, silver, tin, and arsenic alloys. Not sure about weapons though. I think the largest artifacts found were copper axe heads.
    "If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    The Chinese could have come up with rifles long before the Europeans did, if they were culturally prepared for it. Problem was, they weren't. I appreciate your angle on this.

Well, the major iron sources for the Americas are in upper Michigan, and most of that is in the form of ores which require smelting. The Amerindians didn't have smelting technology, even though they had massive amounts of carbon which could be used to smelt. They only really used metals that didn't have to be smelted from the oxides. That's why you see so much copper and silver work but no iron. It's a pretty keen corollary to the previous proposition.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Interesting thread. Don't know how I missed it? probably Blade show. Thanx for the "head's up" Gregg.

Not wanting to hijack an excellent anthropology thread with great points of view, I'll digress a bit to the knife and then we can back to history.

Without holding and using a knife, I choose not to try to evaluate. I generally don't evaluate competitors product on public forums anyway.

Some observation; Based on the price, I would guess that they are not made in Israel. Based on some of the design features, I would guess not a great deal of experience in knife-making or knife designing. I might chase some down for a "look-see".

sal