Thread: Social Affects of Dent-Proof structures?

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar

Social Affects of Dent-Proof structures?

I was reading about new polymers and also nanotechnology concepts of self-repairing materials that would be used to make dent-proof and self-repairing vehicle/car bodies and other materials. Let's say these become cheap and advanced enough so that all structures such as cars quickly repair themselves and there is no more need for human laborers repairing and replacing the structures of these things. Would this make people less upset when they have collisions to their vehicles with others, and lead to people being more easy going, or would it do the reverse, and make people more aggressive because they figure they can drive even faster and riskier with less or no damage?

One reason I ask: I saw two cars collide, and the drivers had to get out their insurance papers and all that, over what appeared to be a minor ding or dent to the side of one of the cars. So I figured, if the car bodies were made from shape changing alloys like nitinol or nanotechnology plastics that are stronger than steel and which self-repair and straighten out all dents, would they have simply said "Alright, no problem! It won't cost be anything, bye!" or what do you all think?

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    About fifty years ago a group of entrepreneurs bought the rights to the Auburn - Cord - Deusenberg marques and made prototypes for an updated version of the 1936 Cord. They chose a then new and revolutionary polymer material called Expanded Royalite for the coachwork. They drive the car through a wall of loose stacked bricks, then take a kettle of boiling water and pour it on the fenders. The dents would pop right out and the car would look as good as new. They performed that demonstration, not once, but many times. The project failed, for a lot of reasons, none of them related to the material but, AFAIK, the major use Expanded Royalite saw after that was luggage. So, not sure how much interest there would be in the tech.

As for accidents without damage, I suspect there'd still be things that would break.

EDITED TO ADD: Not to mention that it's unlikely all makers would choose to use those materials and automobiles tend last quite a while. I'd estimate half the ones in my development are at least 10 years old, and a fair percentage of that half have model years starting with 19.
    Last edited by The Deacon; 05-23-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post

As for accidents without damage, I suspect there'd still be things that would break.
    Ding Ding Ding, For The Win!
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar
    Thank you. That is very interesting about the Royalite. By the way, SolidState, thank you for posting info about Edgar Bain. I was reading some of his material and his info on steel alloys, what a great mind.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderEdgeForever View Post
    Thank you. That is very interesting about the Royalite. By the way, SolidState, thank you for posting info about Edgar Bain. I was reading some of his material and his info on steel alloys, what a great mind.
    Find that triple temp and you've got gold! I'm glad you were reading some real science too!
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Ideas like this never happen because it eliminates the future sale of replacement parts. There's nothing stopping a car company from engineering an engine that will run a million miles, but why would they?

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Reminds me of Saturn, that company that went out of business.

Besides that, if you could build a panel so strong that two vehicles could collide at 45mph without damage the kinitic energy would turn them them into projectiles. Realistically I don't see it happening for many reasons.

It would be preferable for an auto-pilot based on a grid system than making people's vehicles more bump-able. The #1 problem with drivers is their ability to control (or not) where the vehicle is going at all times.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    Reminds me of Saturn, that company that went out of business.

Besides that, if you could build a panel so strong that two vehicles could collide at 45mph without damage the kinitic energy would turn them them into projectiles. Realistically I don't see it happening for many reasons.

It would be preferable for an auto-pilot based on a grid system than making people's vehicles more bump-able. The #1 problem with drivers is their ability to control (or not) where the vehicle is going at all times.
    Exactly. Cars are designed to crumple and break, as it absorbs a lot of the energy from the impact. If they were perfectly ridged, your body would absorb a lot more of that energy and probably kill you in the process.
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug