Thread: Interesting: Kosher Slaughtering Knives

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar

Interesting: Kosher Slaughtering Knives

Here is an interesting one for you all; I am not fully familiar with it but there are specific Kosher-meat butchering knives that have to be made of highest quality steel and materials. The blades have to be as friction-less as possible so as not to cut through organs that could taint the meat.

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-life...ter-knifemaker

Here is a section of the article:

" The knife, known as the chalif, is the most important tool of the shochet. The chalif must be handmade and kept exquisitely sharp. In industrial kosher plants, a bell rings every three minutes reminding shochtim to check their knives. If a nick the size of a hairsbreadth is discovered, all animals killed since the last inspection are deemed not kosher. There are different knives for different animals. For chickens, the blade is about five inches long. A lamb, eight to 12. A full-sized cow would need at least an 18-inch blade. The same goes for a bull. A buffalo could exceed 19 inches. The ideal shechitah knife is roughly two-thirds the size of the animal’s neck."

Also:

" Yurman makes around 15 knives a year. A five-inch chicken knife sells for under $200, and a full-size beef knife can be anywhere between $400 and $650. I ask how many he sells. “Very few. Very few.” Five a year? He nods his head and shrugs his shoulder. “It is not really a money making-venture as much as it is a service to the community.”"

For a hand-made knife, those prices are not too bad. I have seen handmade knives that go into the tens of thousands of dollars for sale at different shows and displays.

I am glad that such niche markets exist and people have this skill!

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    Sal made some of these in the past. Spyderwa had a few the last I talked with him. They're really neat knives.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    You might try searching this forum with the word chalif.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Who doesn't do their daily chalif search?
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    Who doesn't do their daily chalif search?
    I always thought it was a monthly self-exam.

A side note: I couldn't guess what was in his basement other than knife-making equipment and knives. The article didn't tell me and it wasn't glaringly obvious for me by the end of the read.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User Stuart Ackerman's Avatar
    I handled one of Sal's Chalifs at a knife shop in RSA called Barry's Blades, now long since closed...sadly...
    I made a couple chalifs for a Jewish friend using Acacia for the scales, stainless home made Corbys for the pins, and 2mm 12C27 for the blade...

No demand here in NZ for this fine tool...

Spyderco Forum Registered User DRKBC's Avatar
    So my wife is like ... what you reading? and I'm like oh you know Interesting Kosher Slaughtering Knives. She asked me if I had ever thought about getting my own apartment.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DRKBC View Post
    So my wife is like ... what you reading? and I'm like oh you know Interesting Kosher Slaughtering Knives. She asked me if I had ever thought about getting my own apartment.
    Wow, you should give that some consideration..
    C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    fascinating