Thread: cat saves boy

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar

cat saves boy

Anyone seen this? I didn't read a lot of it but it seems some people feel the dog should be rehabilitated instead of put to sleep. The interview with the boy's parents seem to indicate the mother thinks it's sad if the dog will be killed. I wonder if they know the dog's owners?

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=C-Opm9b2WDk

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Your link is not working, but I saw the video of the dog attacking, and the cat saving, the boy a few days ago. As for the dog, I don't know the situation and whether it's the owners or the municipality that wants the dog euthanized, but in most places a dog has to have bitten at least two people, sometimes three before the law requires that.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I saw the video a couple of days ago. I think the dog belongs to a neighbor, so most likely the parents know the owner. I wouldn't trust that mutt around any children. Ever! For me, that means it needs to go away permanently.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Opm9b2WDk

There's a related video of the family on the Today show. The mother said that there are two options, a lengthy rehabilitation or for the dog to be put to sleep.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    Pay attention to the skulking movement of the dog before attacking the boy, beware if you see a dog acting like that.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinetreebbs View Post
    Pay attention to the skulking movement of the dog before attacking the boy, beware if you see a dog acting like that.
    Exactly. It's an indicator that the owners are not properly socializing the animal or paying proper attention to it. That's the look.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinetreebbs View Post
    The dog just went out of his way to attack the boy. I know there those who disagree with me but I think the dog should be put to sleep. We can't even tell for sure when a human has been rehabilitated after punishment. How could you ever trust that dog? If that dog were mine or if my dog did that to a child I would have killed the dog before the boy was taken to the hospital. One comment about the video was a woman saying it wasn't fair to kill the dog when we wouldn't kill a person who did it. Truth be told we don't know what would have happened to the boy if the cat (or his mother) had not shown up. I saw no indication from the dog's actions that he was finished. I think the dog should be killed. If a dog comes in my yard and attacks my grandson I'd kill the dog. Or even if he seems overly vicious I wouldn't take the chance. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User Spydersense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    If a dog comes in my yard and attacks my grandson I'd kill the dog. Or even if he seems overly vicious I wouldn't take the chance. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

Jack
    Agree 100%
    Time for another !

-Matt

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    The dog just went out of his way to attack the boy. I know there those who disagree with me but I think the dog should be put to sleep. We can't even tell for sure when a human has been rehabilitated after punishment. How could you ever trust that dog? If that dog were mine or if my dog did that to a child I would have killed the dog before the boy was taken to the hospital. One comment about the video was a woman saying it wasn't fair to kill the dog when we wouldn't kill a person who did it. Truth be told we don't know what would have happened to the boy if the cat (or his mother) had not shown up. I saw no indication from the dog's actions that he was finished. I think the dog should be killed. If a dog comes in my yard and attacks my grandson I'd kill the dog. Or even if he seems overly vicious I wouldn't take the chance. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

Jack
    You are not wrong!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar

Jack
    I don't think you are wrong at all, I completely agree.

The dog was next door when it saw the child and immediately went into the attack mode. This was not a chance encounter, the child didn't threaten, startle or invade the dogs space, the attack was completely unprovoked. Dogs will get lose sooner or later. This dog clearly has no place in a neighborhood and quite frankly neither do dog owners that would keep such an animal.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.