Thread: Granton edge knife

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Question Granton edge knife

My family buys there filets as whole loins and whole ribeyes. We usually put them in the freezer for a 1/2 hour to firm up the meat then slice into steaks. Put in freezer bags for later consumption.

I have heard that the granton edge type of slicing knives are perfect for this and make the job a lot easier. Does anyone have experience with this knife and have any advice on what brands to look for? Is there a Spyderco knife like this?

Thanks

I have used granton style knives, I have not found them to be significantly effective. The argument is that the depressions stop suction and reduce friction, but it doesn't tend to be significant from what I have seen.

The type of knife you use for cutting meat depends on the size, cut and how you are doing it. Spyderco does make decent kitchen knives, just check the catalogue.

Thank you Cliff.

I have watched some of your videos and enjoy them. What is your background and education? I'm not trying to be nosey, just curious.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    For another opinion on kitchen knives with Granton edge blades you might want to check out Mr Blonde's thread about his Spyderco Homemaker. I don't own one, or any other Granton edged knife, so I can't comment on their effectiveness, but I will say I regret not purchasing the Homemaker when they were available and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if Spyderco brought it back.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!