Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airplanes and knives

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dsvirsky View Post
    A simple solution is to zip tie your Spydie to the belt loop on a pair of your pants (in your checked bag). You can carry a pair of scissors (up to 4") in your carry on and use that to cut the zip tie when you arrive.
    Are you serious, you can take a pair of sharp scissors up to 4" and you can't take a Spyderco Bug?
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User Zatx's Avatar
    Number one rule of travel. Take nothing you aren't willing to lose.
    “Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Are you serious, you can take a pair of sharp scissors up to 4" and you can't take a Spyderco Bug?
    You can take one bic lighter in your carry on as well. Some of the rules are goofy.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I can understand a lighter. I've read things about smokers having community bins in airports, put one in when you get on the plane, take one out when you get off the plane.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

My wife had a nail file (one of the metal ones with a pointy tip) in her check in luggage on one trip (SFO) and (I assume) TSA took it!!!

I carry spydies all to the time for travel. And since I live in Indy ( the burbs) you are good to go up to about 4 inches here on a folder.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Knivesinedc's Avatar
    When I flew to Boston in 2009 I put my knives (cheapos at the time) into my pants pockets in my checked luggage then folded my pants, pocket toward the inside of fold. didnt have any mishaps.
    Our Freedom, you want it, Come and take it.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"

Spyderco Forum Registered User SaintlyBrees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
    Number one rule of travel. Take nothing you aren't willing to lose.
    This.^^^^

And, like LC Kid, at one time I traveled a lot. At least twice a week. I learned the #1 rule mentioned by Zatx. After many mishaps (lost luggage, stolen stuff) I started traveling with only a carry on and computer case. Nothing gets checked in. Ever. Too much stuff? Ship it ahead.

As far as knives go, what I do today is to ship ahead or (my personal favorite) add a trip to a sporting goods or knife store into my agenda. I then ship the knife home after using it for the duration of the trip. Good excuse to get a new knife.

BTW, one way to ship ahead is to buy a new knife (see how I did that? always looking for some way to "need" a new knife. ) and have it shipped directly from the on-line dealer to the hotel.

Finally, I always carry a USPS flat rate box, pre-labeled and ready to go to throw the knife in and ship home. The hotel will always handle getting it into the mail for you.

Best of luck and enjoy your trip!
    My Spydies:
    6 Manix 2 [blk/blk S30V, blk/blk XL, blue Sprint, blue LW, S110V LW, S90V CF XL]; 2 Delicas [VG10, Super Blue]; 4 Dragonflies [Tatoo, VG10, ZDP-189/Nishijin, Super Blue]; 4 Natives [S30V, Brn CTS-XHP, G10 S35N, Forum S110V]; 2 Chaparrals [Stepped Ti, CF]; 3 PM2s [blk/blk, blk/red Putnam, GRN CTS-204P sprint]; 1 CF bolt-action Sage; 1 Air; 1 Super Blue Manbug; 1 blk H1/blk frn Pacific Salt; 2 Stretch [Super Blue, ZDP-189]; 2 Enduras [VG10, blue jigged bone Damascus]

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintlyBrees View Post
    ...Finally, I always carry a USPS flat rate box, pre-labeled and ready to go to throw the knife in and ship home. The hotel will always handle getting it into the mail for you.

Best of luck and enjoy your trip!
    This I have done before. Good advise.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*